Author Topic: Question about Railguns  (Read 7581 times)

Offline edmutv

• View Profile
Question about Railguns
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
Looking for pros and cons of the different  ways of mounting action and barrel to rail. For example does an action block create unneeded stress on the action? Does a v block add vibration to the whole system? I am looking for any and all input .

Thanks

Offline DanO

• View Profile
Re: Question about Railguns
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »
Well Vic I don't have any real experience with a rail yet, but all the rails I have seen use a barrel block set up.
Some are v blocks and some are round hole blocks. Some use insulating materials between the barrel and the block, others clamp directly to the barrel. My understanding is the amount of clamping force, ie bolt tourque is critical to performance.
With rail barrels at 1.45" or bigger, a barrel block seems to the only way to go without unduly stressing the barrel to receiver joint.

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »
Most all modern rails attach the barreled action to the rail top by way of a barrel block. The action is free floating. V or round block both have benefits both work both win. As Dan said the amount of clamping force matters and every rail setup is different. Still comes down to a very good barrel as the most important factor in a winning rail. And of course knowing when to pull the trigger.

Rob

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
Barrel block is the most popular Vic, I have both the v block and the delrin sleeve set up for mine , it came with the v block mounted to it and shot pretty good  so I never tried the other so can't comment on it are you looking at buying one or making one?
I liked the first one so much I bought another!
 nothing shows a good or bad component like a rail.I test seating depths , powders ,bullets ,primers even brass lots in the rail , if they are going to have issues the rail will inherently show it quickly
 when I first looked at buying one I thought it would just be something I needed to shoot the nationals ,never would have guessed how much fun they are to shoot,

Offline edmutv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 09:51:51 AM »
Thank you for the input guys. I have been reading everything I can find on rails to try and make an informed decision . Hugh, Vic and I have ordered a couple rails. The way it is looking we may have them in our hands by late bymarch. Fingers crossed !!!

Thanks again for the help

Tyler

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »
That's great news Tyler . I will have mine out to practice during the winter on warm days .if your interested your welcome to come and shoot it and get familiar with them .

Offline BobR

• View Profile
    • Hunting and shooting forum
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »
Hey Tyler/Vic that's awesome as the rail gun is another way to become familiar with the intimacies of accuracy. The scope isn't as important as on a bag gun, most use at least a 35x scope thou.
Merry Christmas!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk