Author Topic: I Want To Go To The Super Shoot  (Read 10879 times)

Offline DSIMON

• View Profile
I Want To Go To The Super Shoot
« on: March 10, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
I was ordering some parts from Sinclair today and the gentleman on the line was telling me about the upcoming Super Shoot in Canton Ohio.
I have never been to a BR competition and this one sounds good.
I'd love to spend a couple of days observing.
I live very close to Buffalo,NY and Canton seems pretty close.
I've done a google search,but haven,t come up with any info for this May 2010 match.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Bill Gammon

Re: I Want To Go To The Super Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
I have been shooting a few years and if I could only go to one match a year, it would be SS, without question. This is "NOT" to knock other matches, but SS is where it is at. Picture this, 60 benches, commence fire. and these people talk about rolling thunder, DUH! What we are talking here is 60 benches, 400 competetors, 1 1/2 hours between relays run by the best crew you have ever seen assembled. Scoring done by a true professional and the whole system run like clock work. I m sorry but I could go on and on, but it would get boring. The only fly in the ointment would be the Range Officer ;D ;D This remark will cost me dearly. Sure you pay $240.00 to enter, or what ever it is and another $50.00 for the cash option and win "1" match and you will double your money back. I have seen people go there, well I am just going to watch. "BULLSHIT" bring your rifle and you will learn more in that match then you will learn in 2 years at the local mathes. This will be my 33rd year and I have yet to walk out of there without my fees paid and cash option paid. You may lose this year then double up next year. Just go!!!!

Offline DSIMON

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:29:10 PM »
Come on Bill.. don,t hold back..tell me how you really feel ..lol
Joking aside,I am going to go.
What are the dates?
Or do you have a link I can go to for more info.?
Thanks,
Derrick

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
I was ordering some parts from Sinclair today and the gentleman on the line was telling me about the upcoming Super Shoot in Canton Ohio.
I have never been to a BR competition and this one sounds good.
I'd love to spend a couple of days observing.
I live very close to Buffalo,NY and Canton seems pretty close.
I've done a google search,but haven,t come up with any info for this May 2010 match.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Start here http://www.benchrest.com/fiss/index.shtml

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
The Super Shoot is the premier match. Every year it is held the week between the Canadian victoria day and the American Memorial day weekend, it starts wednesday and ends the saturday. Bring some money and be prepared to meet the biggest names in BR and watch the wind blow till you say "o crap" and then watch screamers get a half dozen screamers get shot  while you wonder how it is done. Watch closely!

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:01:10 AM »
Here's a question:  Can Canadians cross the border with powder and primers?  Or is this something that has to be purchased in the US somewhere on the way down?  What is really apparent to me, as a novice, is that most SS participants have certain powders that they'll bring along for the various conditions.  And since powder can vary lot to lot, that's a concern if we Canadians can't bring them down.

-- Stephen

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
Here's a question:  Can Canadians cross the border with powder and primers?  Or is this something that has to be purchased in the US somewhere on the way down?  What is really apparent to me, as a novice, is that most SS participants have certain powders that they'll bring along for the various conditions.  And since powder can vary lot to lot, that's a concern if we Canadians can't bring them down.

-- Stephen

You can take rifles, powder, primers, bullets, brass down provided you have an approved Form 6 from the ATF http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3d.pdf it is pretty straight forward, takes about 2 weeks to get if you are using a fax, little bit longer if you are mailing it. You will need a letter of invitation to a match in the US. I get a blanket invitation from the NBRSA covering all their matches for the year.

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
Excellent, thanks Rick!

Bill Gammon

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »
I have travelled back and forth, (with approved ATF form) with my trailer carrying my powder, primers, bullets, rifle and whatever else I can get in there about 20 times a year for the last 15 years with "never" a problem from either side. Re the letter of invitation, the NBRSA blanket letter, thanks to Don Creach and myself will get you the ATF form, but I would strongly suggest that you get a invitation letter from the range itself and carry it with you. I, and others have been asked for an invitation from the range itself. Anyone going to WWCCA can get their letter from me. That letter can Emailed, Faxed, or snail mail as long as it is a piece of paper that says you are invited. What I do with WWCCA is list the name of the person on a club letterhead with a list of all the matches for that year and send. Now here is a bit of information you can use or not, your choice, "DON'T LIE" only tell them what they have asked you, and very little more. Example; do you have loaded rounds in your vehicle. Yes, there might be 25 or more back there somewhere. And something I learned 30 years ago, what weapons do you have. I have 2 "SINGLE SHOT TARGET RIFLES" Lenny went across a couple of years ago and had a Customs Officer want to see the rifle. Well Len opened the back of his truck and showed him the rifle and the guy like OOOO, AAAA picked the rifle up and started trying to look through scope. Of course this guy is swinging it around and there a car of, immigrants behind him and they were dodging for cover. Len got through but had to pull over because he was laughing so hard. Anyway they are not after you, Oh 1 more thing do not have the bolt in the rifle, put a trigger lock on the rifle and make sure the case has a lock of some sort on it. I know you don't have to but try telling that to a Customs guy who is doing a cavity search on you. All you need is a bit of common sense and no smart talk.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
Bill as you are a veteran of the BR circuit, what are the biggest NO NO's into being a spectator?

I know the biggest thing for me will be when people see my light weight barrel on my sporter and say what the HELL is that thing screwed on.......

Or my SMILEY Pyjama pants......... cause no matter how bad you shoot there is always a reason to smile......

Later

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
I learned the SINGLE SHOT TARGET RIFLE line the first time i crossed into the U.S. The American custom agent told his helper to check the serial number on my gun as I had a Bat Machine Gun in the trailer. I made sure I corrected him right away!!!! It has never been looked at since on either side of the border. Now about those cavity searches Bill.........
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:39:59 PM by Tony Gauthier »

Offline DSIMON

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »
As a spectator is there a place where you can view the shooters and set up a spotting scope possibly.
Is there an admission charge for spectators?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:14:35 PM by DSIMON »

Bill Gammon

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:06:11 AM »
Bill as you are a veteran of the BR circuit, what are the biggest NO NO's into being a spectator?

What are you watching?? You see a target get a hole in it! Ah, but you say I was watching the flags as he shot, AH I say, was he holding up, down, left, right or in the center?? What flag or flags was he watching?? Did he click his scope over, up, or down?? was he shooting a neutral condition, (neutral to the shooter)?? Is the group done? how do you know if he was done?? well he is not shooting anymore, OK which of the 10 shots he fired went into the target?? was it the 2nd 3rd 5th 8th and the 10th?? if he has one hole of the sighter and one hole in the record, how can you tell.

Now about those cavity searches Bill.........

They are not that bad depending on the lube, EH!!

As a spectator is there a place where you can view the shooters and set up a spotting scope possibly.

That is no problem all kinds of space. Just remember to bring a spotting scope that can swivel easily and good ear muffs.

Is there an admission charge for spectators?

Definitely "NOT"

I drink BUSH beer EH!

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »
Okay then............ ??? ??? ???

My take on it is basically don't waste my time watching another shooter shoot a group.  Go to the line and make your own decisions for the conditions presented you.  One has NO IDEA for sure what the person pulling the trigger is looking at.

I can live with that........

No just to try and understand all this BS about tuning and staying in tune...........  How many botles of 40 CREEK will I need to survive the Nationals?  As many as it takes............. 
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 03:46:50 PM »
I will agree with Bill, the Super Shoot is a must do event in this game.
It is a great event to gain knowledge from, the people, the equipment, the rotation of a big match.
If any Canadian goes they will be welcomed, and if you do not feel welcomed, then bring Busch Beer to
Bill's trailer or better yet to John/Arlene Inman's trailer, that will get you a big welcome, trust me on that one.

I agree with Bill again (stop talking sense Bill, you will ruin your rep.) watching seems like a great way to learn
but what are you really watching. One can never really know what the shooter is doing, holding off, using the sighter,
etc. I have tried to do this several times behind Tony B., Joe K., Mike R. and you end up guessing most of the time, which is
what we are watching for so we do not have to guess.

Oh, did I mention the pie(s) great pie at this match, you could almost live of them and Bill's beer.
Now I am really wishing I could make that trip this year.

DanO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk