Author Topic: Fireforming Laupa brass for Sako ppc usa  (Read 7031 times)

Offline Tshh

• View Profile
Fireforming Laupa brass for Sako ppc usa
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
Hi I hope someone can help me here. I have a moderate amount of reloading knowledge but want to tap the knowledge base of the Benchresters. I don't have a benchrest gun, would love to get one but I don't have the money, all in time. So what i do have is this hardly ever used Sako Stainless Laminated Varmint in 6ppc USA. I also have a box of 100 Laupa brass in 220 Russian. I want to fireform this brass for the rifle. Can anyone tell me what i might need to do? Some of the equipment i have for the gun is a Arbor press and Wilson dies, one for seating and one for neck sizing. Also have a some other tools primer uniformer, but i want to know about fireforming this brass. What about an expander die? What size of expander button? What might be the neck diameter of this rifle, is it .272? What about a full length sizer? And what about the bushings for the Wilson Dies? What sizes might i need? I'm not interested in neck turning but from what I've read it might not be necessary with this neck. I've shot Sako's commercial ppc ammo through the rifle about 200 rounds. What trim length? Anyway you get the picture, any help would be appreciated. I would like to load up for some spring summer varmint shooting with these new Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets in 62 grains that i'm getting.  But i also love to shoot groups. In the future a bench rifle but for now how about some advice.

Tshh

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
Re: Fireforming Laupa brass for Sako ppc usa
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 05:59:47 AM »
http://www.6mmbr.com/6ppc.html
Here is the link to 6mmbr with a detailed description how to fireform cases. I used the Bulseye and wax plug method.

Also Sinclair International (that you should have their catalog) 1-260-493-2530 or support@sinclairintl.com has 2 pages of instruction for making PPC brass from 220 Russian.

Good Luck

Dwayne

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »
TsHH or whatever your real name is.  The first thing is knowing what the chamber size of that rifle is mainly the neck.  I say this so you can size your brass to optimize its potential.  If and when you know that can you begin to prep that brass for your chamber.  

I have no idea what the chambers are like in those.  I guess we can assume it is a SAMI spec chamber.  

You will have to expand the necks first from 22 cal to 6mm.  The neck expander you use should be from the same company as your neck turner so they mimic one another.

I would then run a case through the sizing die and trim to the longest length possible.  I have been finding in my brass it has been 1.500".  Deburr the flash holes if you choose to do so.  Make sure it is with a PPC sized flash hole deburring tool.  Then load a dummy round with a bullet seated and see if it chambers easy.  You could even mark the neck with a black felt to see if the chamber(neck) is scraping the neck of the brass.

You mention about a full length die.  I read so many misconceptions about neck sizing.  To have easy bolt closure ALL THE TIME, one must also size the entire case ever so slightly.  The pressures in time will affect the brass that it definitely will need to be bumped back.  Do it right from the start.  If you want get a Redding neck die that also bumps the shoulder at the same time as it sizes your neck you are set.  It is not as perfect as a Harrell die but it will do for your factory rifle.  Adjust the die so it bumps the shoulder back a couple thou and you are set.  Don’t use an expander button in the die as they have a tendency to induce run out  in brass.  I have never proved it but I have to believe the people that have shot this game a lot longer and thousands more rounds than I have.

Size of bushing required for the die is dependent on the size of your final loaded round diameter.  It is nice to have about 3 different size bushings.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Calvin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:12:05 PM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Tshh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, tried the Sako web site thought maybe it would be easy to contact someone and find out the dimensions they reamed the chamber to but no luck. Oh well. Think i'll get an expander die and a FL die, and take it from there, I have a gauge for seating length but I doubt the 62 grainers will seat out to touch the lands, I'll use a heavier bullet to fireform. If i need to turn to fit then so be it thats what i'll do. Nice web site references.

Tshh - name i go by (well earned).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk