Author Topic: long range and accuracy  (Read 6777 times)

Offline DavidJSmith

• View Profile
long range and accuracy
« on: January 12, 2017, 04:32:57 PM »
Ladies/Gents

I'm looking at longer range shooting on a friends property in Saskatchewan and would like some long range advice,, long range and accuracy.

The rifle I will be using (for now) a CZ 527 heavy barrel with  a Vortex 4x12 in .223

what in your opinion, would be the best things increase accuracy on this rifle?

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
Re: long range and accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »
Hi David;
Welcome to the long-range game. Are you planning on shooting fullbore/long range competition? At what distances are you planning to shoot?
So it's a 223 - my first long-range gun was a 223 Savage Model 12 - a good shooter. It has since been converted to a 308 with a custom barrel and trigger.
What is the rate of twist in your barrel? A 1:7 rate of twist is ideal for the larger bullets (80 or 90 gn) which will allow longer ranges up to 1000 yds.
Some basic things that will increase accuracy include bedding the action, making sure the barrel is free floating, reducing the trigger pull and reducing the spring force on the ejector.
If you are using a tripod off a bench, then a 3" stock fore-end or 3" conversion plate is useful. If you're using a bipod make sure it is a good one that is stable and recoils straight back. A Harris won't cut it. There is an M-Pod for sale on Gunnutz now that would be super for prone shooting.
The rest, like in BR shooting, is all about good shooting technique, good components, good case preparation practices, good reloading equipment and some time spent in load development. I assume you do reload - in any case you'll go broke and will be disappointed in factory ammo.
Hope this helps.
Good luck and have fun - it IS about having fun!!

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
Re: long range and accuracy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:50:05 AM »
Much good info above. The scope is also a big factor. Look into getting more magnification and resolution. Test any scope that you might use to see how well it holds zero and for repeatability. It is all too easy to blame the rifle or ammo for problems the scope is causing.
The nice thing about buying a good scope is that you can change the rifle under it when the time comes.
Good luck and enjoy the sport.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:51:53 AM by Blairguy »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk