Author Topic: BR shoot in Bouctouche, NB  (Read 12834 times)

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
BR shoot in Bouctouche, NB
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:56:03 AM »
Hello all, we are still trying to iron out the details but there will be a BR shoot in Bouctouche, NB on either May 16 or 23. It is a 600+yard range with shoots being held at 100 and 200 yards as well as 500 and 600 yards. We are still trying to figure out numbers and classes but if anyone is interested please do not hesitate to contact me. Will update as we work out the details.

Cheers,
    Spencer

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: BR shoot in Bouctouche, NB
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
Great news Spencer! Way to grab the bull by the horns and make it happen.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »
Yes Kudos to you man.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
Are you going with score or group matches?

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:05:39 AM »
Well, we still need to get a better idea of the number of people going and what they will be shooting. I would think for score would be a good way to go for the first time out. But, I was also thinking that if we move back to 600, a "for group" match might be better?

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »
Unless you have moving backers you may want to limit it to score shooting when shooting at 100/200. Just for ease of scoring targets.

You could shoot group at 600 without backers since there is not as much chance of bullets passing through the same hole, although it will still happen.

I think Greg in Campbell River hosts group shoots at the longer ranges, he may have some thoughts here as to what will work better.

The longer ranges will for sure require very good optics on the scope or a very good spotting scope to see what is happening on the target.

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 03:49:53 PM »
Yeah, it may be just for score at all ranges, it will likely make things run smoother especially for a newer group of shooters(myself included :-\). As far as I know they are not moving backers.

K.I.S.S I Guess....

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
Gooday all Spencer unfortunately we don't have moving backers {I hope not to many will shoot in the birm for the last shot >:(}.
I havn't had to much response as of yet on numbers how about yourself? Hopefully I will be able to contact some of the boys from the dalousie bathurst area maybe I will see some of them at the gun show, they had some good shooters and a good number of shooters last time I shot with them about 5 or 6 years ago.
Henry smith was the guy to contact for shoots back then but I think he is still working out in south Africa so I will try and contact his friend at the gun show.
They had a really nice range there 200yds with at least 8 tables maybe 10 I don't remember for sure.
I will try to convince them to start shooting again and maybe have a shoot or 2 over the summer ,I know there  was also some bench shooters in the south of the province  and nova scotia but I don't know any of them .
Peter Dobson would know a lot of the shooters in Nova Scotia and I think he  would partly sponsor a shoot in his area.
If we can have som matches in  at least three areas over the summer we might be able to get something going would be lots of fun.

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
Hi from the "Wet" Coast, oh I meant the West Coast.  We've been running informal BR matches in Campbell River for the last 3 yrs.  Started from nothing, like you are now, and we now have an average of 11 shooters/shoot showing up 10 times/yr.  We shoot out to 500yds when there isn't too much snow and the sou'easters aren't blowing too bad.   Some things we do:

-we use shipping pallets for target holders at 200, 300, 400 500.  Cheap and easy to setup & replace.  Put 'em all in a row with legs on the back to stand them up, staple your cardboard across and staple your targets on.  It's not fancy but it works.  We have regular target holders at 100 and 600

-make it fun.  make it fair.  Guys/gals won't come back if it's no fun and they think it wasn't fair.  Shooting a factory Remington against a full custom BAT is not fair.  Have some refilled 500ml water bottles & at the end of the shoot put them out at varying distances.  Let guys have at'er.  Free & Cheap reactive targets always brings a smile to a shooters face.

-we don't use moving backers at 100 & 200.  It's a trust thing.  I'm pretty sure we're all there for the fun, evan though we're shooting for money.  I've thought of placing backers 3-5' behind the group targets in order to get a slightly different angle on the holes, but so far have seen no need.

-start at 100 yds with sighters and whatever.  Get everybody zeroed.  Have a ballistics table out of a reloading book available for reference.

-we jump out to 500yds right away.  We've found that shooting 500 yds at 3:00pm makes for a sumb_tch for seeing your shots.  At 10:30am you can see your bullets holes.  My eyes aren't the best, but I can see .22 cal holes at 500 with a 24x Leupold. Most people can see their holes with 36x Weavers, etc.

-we use a 28'x22" flourescent yellow/green sighter sheet with an aiming point drawn on, near the top.  It is poster board bought at a dollar store.  I'll post a pic of our 500 yd sighters.  You can see how they walked their shots in.  I'm pretty sure this will work at 600yds if there's not any mirage.

-we shoot a marmot/groundhog target for score and group at 500, 300 and 200.  You can see your holes in the white at 500 on the marmot target, but not in the black.   Sometimes we shoot eggs at 300 or 400.  We shoot flies at 500 & 100.  There are a bunch of other targets we shoot at 100, 200, 300 and 400 as well.  I can send you copies if you send me your address

- we run 3 classes of guns, Factory-bedded and trigger adjusted,  Custom Factory-factory action with everything else modded, and Custom-full blown custom guns.  No restrictions on scopes or weights.  We had one gun in Custom Factory that weighed 18 lbs and was cleaning up for a couple of shoots, so I asked him if he would mind shooting in the custom class, he did and competes favorably with those guns.

-we shoot 10 relays/class.  $2 entry fee/relay.  Winner of relay gets 1/2 the entry fee for that relay class.  I run a 50/50 draw with 1,2 & 3rd prizes.  Some relay winners give their winnings back to the club to fund improvements.  I went to the cash prizes 'cause most people like to win something and I didn't feel like getting trophies.  The cash prize also makes it easy hand out and to be fair.  If there's only 2 people in a class, then the winner gets $2.  If there is 5 people in a class, then the winner gets $5

I don't know if we're doing the right things, but people keep coming back and seem to have a smile when they leave.  We're always looking for improvements and new targets.  If you have questions, ask away.  I might have some ideas.  

Cheers
Greg
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:40:49 PM by gyeomans »

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:55:27 PM »
Greg, This really sounds like a great way to start out, lot's of good ideas to help keep the cost down as well, which is great when you aren't sure if people are going to show up or come back..

Having some reactive targets are great as well, a bad day on the rifle range is usually forgotten by an afternoon at the skeet club. It's a good feeling when that clay explodes  ;D Anyway, let's stay on topic...

It may be fun to have some of those "know your limits" targets as well to shake things up. I'm sure there will be more questions, I just haven't thought of them yet :-\

Cheers,
    Spencer

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »
Hi Spencer, targets are on the way.  Let me know if you have any questions regarding them.
Cheers
Greg

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
Your a good man, much appreciated.

Cheers,
  Spencer

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 06:45:19 PM »
Just wondering what date the Batouche shoot is planned. Am seriously considering if on the 23 rd.

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
It is in Bouctouche just north of Moncton, NOT Batouche near Camp Gagetown. It will be on the 23rd.

The way things are going now, not even sure if I'll be able to make it :( The match will still be going though since it's not my range.

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 09:20:45 AM »
Spencer, how did your shoot go?

Cheers
Greg

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »
Regrettably, I wasn't even able to make it. With over 100 hour work weeks along with some personal things, it just could not make it into the schedule. I haven't been able to get a hold of  JC to see how things went but, hopefully I will be able to have one this summer when things quiet down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk