Author Topic: To rebarrel or not??  (Read 8509 times)

Offline abouwer

• View Profile
To rebarrel or not??
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »
Now that you people have my wife serious about benchrest, i need help. Her gun is a shilen DGA, and it does not shoot bad, but i just know the 222 would be better than her 223 AI. Seeing it has the 222 boltface, i guess that is about the only option, for more accuracy?

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: To rebarrel or not??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 03:12:34 PM »
It is a slippery slope isn't it?

I am not sure going to the 222 will net you a significant gain. It may only be marginally more accurate than the 223AI. If it is a live varmint rifle then I would leave it as is.

If you want to turn it into a BR rifle, and to really net a gain, consider having the boltface opened up to a PPC and go from there. Somebody more knowledgeable than me in gunsmithing should be able to confirm the viability of this on a DGA action.

Rick

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
Adrian, there is another possibility.  I do not know anything about the Shilen DGA but the bolt can possibly be opened up to accept PPC brass?????

The other is maybe another bolt in a PPC botlface if Dave at Pacific Tool and Guage has ever done one??????

Or yes rebarrell to a 222.  Ultimately it would be best to go the way of the 6PPC but the options need to be weighed.

Welcome to you and your wife into this wonderful world of Benchrest.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
Rick beat me to it....
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline pac11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
PPC would probably be the most accurate but you could keep the bolt as is and do a 14 twist 6x45 (223x6mm)

Mike

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:48:54 PM »
I would open the bolt face and go with 6 ppc.  Henry Rempel in Calgary could do the whole job fairly quickly and she could be shooting it at the next shoot. Just don't run any red lights on the way to his place! You will find out that word spreads pretty fast in the Alberta BR circle!!!!!!!!

Offline abouwer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 12:17:49 AM »
Man do we like this game!! Yep, ran a red light, and busted my duramax transmission on the way back home, it was one of my most expensive weekends ever, but sure enjoyed it. Not many guys can say they spent more money on your first ever benchrest match than they will spend on the first bat they wanna buy!!?
Now its saving up again, seeing the Ross man has a gun that is keeping me up at night. Glad i met you guys, and looking forward to the next shoot. Wish we could do Regina, but we cant seeing my truck is busted and i will be busted as well, seeing im up for a little repair by a Doctor next week.

Offline abouwer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:20:22 AM »
One other thing. You guys think 5R rifling is better or not?

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »
I am not sure that in short range BR it would make much difference. Don't know of anyone using it in BR.

Offline suitty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:44:04 AM »
i took a older 6ppc barrel and had it rechambered to a 6 full br. screwed it on a rem short action ( it was a 243) lapped the lugs put a rifle basic 4 oz trigger and very pleased . shoots almost as well and my bench guns. best part no neck turning. suttie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk