Author Topic: Weekend Range Project  (Read 31261 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Weekend Range Project
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:30:43 AM »
Thought I would share my project from yesterday.

I am putting up a bench hugging a tree line that runs North and South.  It will only be for 100 yards but it is in a very nice spot.  VERY SHELTERED from the wind.  So the days it is howling out I should be able to get some decent testing.  It is fairly shady in there as well.  I may be able to set a table slightly further back and get out to 150 in this location as well.

I dug 3 holes as far as I could go with the hand post hole auger.  About 4" down.  Okay 4' down.  The frost should never get to deep there as when the snow falls in that area it just falls and sits.  I am using 4" Electrical conduit that I found at a VERY CHEAP price, FREE.  Had a few bags of ready crete at the farm that I mixed in with a bit more gravel to firm up the poles and Plumb them with my fence post Plumb jig.  Anyways this is where I am at.

Next trip out I will cut the conduit to height, fill with ready crete and set the top on.  To hold the top secure in the legs I am using 12" bolts that will screw into long threaded nuts that I welded to the rebar before I poured the top.  We will then use the tractor and loader to lift the table top into place.  Should end up as solid as Cal needs.

I am also looking at getting a used insulated cargo container about 14-16' long to act as my loading shack.  I have a lead on a box from a service truck.  Still has all the bins and a work bench in it.  The price may be right as well.  Lets just say cheaper than a garden shed and it is insulated.

I still have a concrete bench set out on the bald open if I want to shoot and test at 200 yards.  It is wide open grassland so the winds have to be manageable to test there.  Maybe if I shoot the open enough Phoenix will be a little less hard on me in October.

Enjoy

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:32:58 AM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Gordon Wald

• View Profile
Re: Weekend Range Project
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »
Hey Cal
If you could put in about 14 more of these benches you could host the Nat'ls next year .  Looks REAL  good. We are all going to be jealous.
Gord W

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
Hey Cal
If you could put in about 14 more of these benches you could host the Nat'ls next year .  Looks REAL  good. We are all going to be jealous.
Gord W

Hey that's a great idea,,what do you think Cal ?

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »
I still want to know who has a shooting stool tall enough for that bench???

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
Cal, why stop at 15 keep going and when you get 25 benches or more it could host the World Shoot. :)
 The tall bench is for those spring rains!

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
If I had my way there would be a real Bench Rest range on the farm. Maybe in time if the lottery kicks in.

;-)

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »
   Some how    , going to  Cyanchycki's range  doesn't really roll off your tongue does it.

Maybe you should just call it Cal's place

Offline hendershot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »
I still want to know who has a shooting stool tall enough for that bench???

Thanks Dan. I'm at the airport now and needed the chuckle to lighten my mood.

Nice, peaceful looking spot you have there Calvin.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:36:50 AM by hendershot »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlllllll

The table is finished.

I made the trex to the farm yesterday to pay my parents a visit with there grand daughter.  My how things have grown since I was there last time.  I had hoped that my dad or brother would have kept the grass mowed on the range.  Wishful thinking.  Needless to say that JD lawn tractor got a workout cutting down tame grass and alfalfa about 1.5-2 feet tall.  It is amazing what that small tractor went through.

Oh and MOSQUITOES.......................... If I did not contract West Nile......................  I think I got bit enough times yesterday to make up for the last 4 or 5 years.

Here it is.  I hope those 4" PVC Pipes filled with concrete will be solid enough?????????  If not, back to the drawing board.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:51:25 PM by cyanchycki »

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »
 Hey Cal, how did the bench and range turn out?

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
John the range itself is fine but the bench was not solid enough.  I was hoping the 4"  PVC conduit filled with cement would be ridgid enough.  Not even close.

I was so PO'd that I brought the tractor and bucket in and ripped it out.  I removed the top soil, hauled in some C base, and got it half as++ level.  I am leaving it till the spring.  I am then going to tie rebar and pour a pad.  When that sets I will do cinder blocks and put the top on them.  I should ahve done that in the first place.  I have the last 2 weeks of April off so I hope I can get the pad at least poured then.

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
 Well at least it looked good! Hope your new one works out better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk