Author Topic: Selkirk in May............  (Read 9016 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Selkirk in May............
« on: May 14, 2011, 05:03:54 AM »
Up at the crack of dawn yesterday to make the trex to Selkirk.  Tank of fuel, cup of Tim's and on the highway.

Weather report................................ Just one way to sum it up......................... COLD...........WET...........WINDY.  In other words the SH+++
Was at the range by 10:15 with Dwayne in tow.  As we were yammering away a tall fella walks in by the name of Bob Kerr.  Great conversation to say the least.  Bob has a VERY PATIENT wife as we BS'd for about 2.5 hours and she sat in the car the whole time NOT once coming over. 

Still the same weather report.

Shortly after a few more started to pop in.  Benson, Schick, and then first timer Jamie Macleod.  More yammering and no weather change.

Things finally began to let up and around 16:00 the rain had stopped, wind died down, but still no sun.  Shortly abouts one could finally hear the crack of gunfire and the smell of gunpowder in the air.  Yee haw....................

Till tommorrow..................
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline John VM

• View Profile
Re: Selkirk in May............
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »
Calvin, say hi to Bob for me! Man he has a great sense of humor.

Bill Gammon

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:55:39 PM »
Tell Bob HI!! If it where not for Bob ORSA would have been dead a long time ago. I have nothing but respect for that man.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »
John, Bill will do. 

Wish I could have more time to talk with him.  He had one mishap though...................... made the trip WITHOUT any brass.  At least he had everything else.  The guys found some brass for him and it fit.  I guess there is something if you shoot a .262 neck like so many.  He would have been SOL if I were the lone shooter as I ahve a .269.  The time we have had has been interesting.  Wish I could not let the stress of trying to shoot and run a match get to me........................... :P :P

Well the conditions were ROTTEN as can be.  Switchy, switchy, switchy.  No small aggs that is for sure.  Winds were from 10-2 and would flip at the snap of the fingers.  It must have been 30-40 kmh.

In regards to results I can say off the top of my head that the LV 100 was won by Dwayne Cyr and HV 100 by Murray Benson.  I will get the full results as soon as possible but trust me they are nothing small.   Both winning aggs were in the .3's.

Tommorrow the wind is supposed to be lighter so Maybe we will make the 200 yard matches a bit more exciting.

later

Calvin

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
I will write up a full report in the next day or two.  Pretty wore out from the weekend.  I will e-mail full results to Rick to have them posted.

LV100 Dwayne Cyr of Kenora with a .3010
HV100 Murray Benson of Selkirk .3338

HV 200 Bob Kerr of Ontario .4356
LV 200 Dwayne Cyr a flat .4200

LV Grand Dwayne Cyr .3605
HV Grand Bob Kerr .4037

2 Gun Dwayne Cyr .4052

Most definately not small aggs. As the conditions presented themselves the group sizes represented the conditions.

Later

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
I should add that first time NEW shooter Jamie Macleod won one  match at 200 yards with what I believe was a .550.  He was shooting a 6.5X47.  Not the 222 Mag version but the NEW version.  We just may have a future benchrester.  He tells us he thoroughly enjoyed himself and learned a lot about the sport.  I loaned him some optics for the weekend along with a set of flags.  He says getting into Sunday things were slowly beginning to make sense.

To sum up the highlights of the weekend:
Firstly Doug forgot to pack up Max's loading gear.......................
Conditions Saturday saw switchy conditions faster than you could blink an eye with winds pretty much head on from about 10-2.  At one point in time we started out with a SE wind which quickly turned into a NE wind.  Definately the switchiest I have ever shot in my career.  The Honey hole was most definately NOT a honey hole this weekend.
Sunday saw winds from every direction.  At one point mirage was so bad for basically one target I could not even see the rings on the target.  I just put it to where I thought the mothball was and let it rip as the waves held.  Turned out not to bad .794.

Here are a few pics as well.

Murray (The Flame Thrower) Bensons rifle stock

First timer Jamie Macleod

Elmira's own Bob Kerr

The CHAMP himself giving orders to his flag slave

I think it is getting pretty deep..............................

L-R  Murray Benson, Harold Wasnie(back), Gord Wald, Phil Nick.

Actually would like to thank Phil for stepping up to the plate to score the match.  He did not shoot as he had Carpul Tunnel surgery on Monday.  He could not operate the joystick but he did a WONDERFUL job on the calipers.  Thanks Phil.  See you at the bench in July.

Calvin

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:35:54 PM by cyanchycki »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
I just realized that my rifle looks like it has the Chicken Pox.............................. :o :o

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »

Bill Gammon

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 04:40:53 AM »
Bob not only runs the matches at Elmira but is the range officer. Glad to see he got second in the 2 Gun.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 06:46:48 AM »
To those of you whom I e-mailed results to I will have to figure out why itis doing that.  The reports are just exported to Adobe and are supposed to work.  I e-mailed them to myself and Iseewhat you are talking about.

When I get that figured out I will get that out.

No time through the day anymore to work on this stuff.  The wealthy cottagers who need there phones and I-net come first for some reason.

Later 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk