Author Topic: 6PPC reamer recomendation  (Read 10059 times)

Offline trav_james

• View Profile
6PPC reamer recomendation
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »
I'm building a new 6ppc for myself and wanted to poll you guys on what you recomend for 6ppc reamer specs.
I'm thinking of PT&G Boyer lll. 263" nk
cheers
Trav

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: 6PPC reamer recomendation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:22:15 AM »
My next reamer may be that but instead of the .263 neck I would have it ground to a .269.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline trav_james

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:02:18 AM »
I have access to the Boyer ll 269" reamer also. But after a couple years of running my 6 BR with a 272" neck I'm a little tired of having having inconsistent neck tention. I'd rather have the more consistent bullet grip offered by a 263". Or at least give it the old college try   ;D
Are there any specific freebore/leade dimentions you guys have found that work better than others?

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:25:55 AM »
James, there are several ways to go with this.
Do you have a bullet configuration that you want to use?
Do you have a sizing die that you are happy with?
If so, send a couple of size pieces of brass with bullets seated to the reamer maker and let them spec. it out from that.
Or you can choose to spec. the reamer yourself, by specifying the base, shoulder, neck (diameter & length) and freebore/lead for the bullet(s) you are going to use.
There are many shooter and reamer owners that have gone to the .268" - .269" necks for the simple reason that Lapua brass will clean up completely turned for this diameter.
Another option is to go with the Pure Magic reamer that Tony B. is reported to be using.

I do recommend that you call the reamer manufacturer and discuss the subject with them.
I have talked with Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool and Gauge several times on reamers and he has the latest information on trends and knows what works or better yet what does not work in our game.

As an example of reamer choices, I had my last PPC reamer spec. to work with the Redding Small Based S Type bushing die. A cost effective way of getting getting a shooter started without a chasing your backside looking for an easy sizing solution to your gun.

Hopefully several others will add their thoughts to this post and you will see some other ideas.
DanO

Offline Fergus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
James

I left an answer on BR central with some very similar comments to Dan O, so wont repeat any of that here.

However your comment about inconsistent neck tension really stands out to me. You may well be having a problem, but it is not the neck thickness causing it. Over the last 5 or so years, I have seen a lot of 6PPC shooters go to a neck of .268 to .270. I have used a .270 neck 6PPC reamer (although I believe the actual measurement of my reamer is closer to a .269 neck) since late 2007 and have shot my best aggs in this time. I know that in the 2009 World Championships that 10 members of the Australian team, only 2 were using necks of around .262/.263. All 4 in the gold medal team, and also all members in the 4th placed team were using thicker necks. I make this point not to say that thicker necks are responsible for these achievements, but just to highlight that they didnt hurt aggs.

I do find some benefit to using the thicker necks, including the ease of turning which was my primary reason for trying this spec. One resalt I did not consider was the slower growth of case necks. Since using the thicker neck, I find the case length grows a lot slower than the .262/.263 necks I used in the past.

Offline TERRY CLOSE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:59:31 PM »
TRAVIS.   BEEN AWHILE SINCE ON THIS SIGHT. LOOKS LIKE A REAL NICE RANGE YOU WERE SHOOTING AT. BRING THAT GUN DOWN WHEN YOU GET IT DONE AND MAKE SURE IT IS TIMED FOR ONE OF OUR SHOOTS.. TAKE CARE   TERRY CLOSE

Offline trav_james

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
I'll have to keep an eye on you coyotes, & make sure you don't pull the exploding target prank you guys pulled on dad!! ( that was awesome by the way!!). I'm hoping to have it done & tuned in time for spring.

Offline pac11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:27:32 AM »
Yeah I'm a few months late but since it's a bit slow here...

Here is a print of a .269 ppc reamer that is reverse engineered so a Redding S full length die and a .2655 bushing work perfectly.  It also fits a wilson hand seater. Turn neck walls to about .0120
I use it with Barts Ultras

Can anyone guess who the shooter was I got the print from?

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk