Author Topic: Shooter Profiles  (Read 7157 times)

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Shooter Profiles
« on: December 27, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »
Here are Shooter Profiles I had posted on the webpage:

Dan Opel Shooter Profile
Calvin Yanchycki Shooter Profile
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:27:48 AM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shooter Profiles
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
Time to bring this thread back to life!

Here are some comments from Joe Mendham, who is my Mentor in this game, and is responsible for pushing me down the slippery slope!

JOE MENDHAM SHOOTER PROFILE

Q. When did you start shooting BR? Which range did you attend your first registered match at and what was your equipment?

A. My first registered shoot was In 1979 at Clearwater B.C   for the fall Shoot-en-anny. I shot a Sleeved 700 Remington built by Nobby Uno  chambered in 6X47  ( 222 magnum necked up to 6mm ) with a 24x Leupold  on it.

Q. Did you have a mentor when you started and why did you choose BR over other disciplines? Were you shooting another discipline before BR?

A. My mentors were Alex Bulman ,who started me on this journey by dropping a  bench gun on my bench and saying " here, shoot this "  and Nobby Uno , my gunsmith back then and encyclopaedia  for all my questions. I've never really shot anything else except  from the bench , I started shooting with a 222rem Sako varmint gun.

Q. How many rounds a year do you shoot and how many would you recommend to stay competitive?

A. I used to shoot 4000-5000 a year but now it's probably closer to 1500.  I would think 2000-3000 rounds for someone starting out .

Q. If someone were just starting BR what advice would you have for them?

A. Buy the best equipment you can afford , and if you can't save up for it. there are lots of deals on used guns out there. Shoot as often as you can to learn what the gun is capable of and shoot in all conditions. Seek out other benchrest shooters at your range or If not possible travel to a range where there are some.  Go to competitions , you will learn more and faster.

Q. List 3 things about BR that you think are the most critical to small groups and small aggs.

A. Good barrels, and knowing when one has lost its edge and its time to get a new one. Bullets. Find a bullet maker that will make you enough to keep you shooting and shoot lots. Practice at home and hit as many shoots as possible, you'll learn more when every shot counts.

Offline IanOwen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:13 AM »
Rick, I enjoyed reading the profiles........took a few minutes to stop laughing part way through Bill's..........but managed to dry the tears away................now where's your profile, also would like to read a few others as well, so looking forward to seeing this thread added to.

Cheers
Ian

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
Here is another Shooter Profile. This time the intrepid Dave Abbott. Known across the globe for his shooting exploits, and current delegate for the Canadian Benchrest Team.

1. When did you start shooting BR? Which range did you attend your first registered match at and what was your equipment?
I started shooting in the Spring of 1982 with Vic Swindlehurst. My first shoot was at Camillus Sportsmens Club in New York State when Hank Gonnella ran the shoots. I started with a Swindlehurst Action, Maclennan Barrel, Brawand bullets and finished 2nd. last. What an education that was, but really hooked me.

2. Did you have a mentor when you started and why did you choose BR over other disciplines? Were you shooting another discipline before BR?
 Vic Swindlehurst, used to shoot at Vic’s house all the time, great man. I was sick and tired of shooting ground hogs and was given his name, called him and have been “broke ever since.”

3. How many rounds a year do you shoot and how many would you recommend to stay competitive?
I used to shoot a lot with Vic, but lately have not practiced at all. My shooting shows that, some flashes of good shooting, but not many. Interestingly I look at Rob Maclennan, we travel to all shoots together and he has shot really well the last 2 years and he NEVER shoots except at matches. I think you need to shoot to get comfortable with your equipment, learn to read flags, play with new barrels etc. but in the end it is all about concentration. A few years ago I watched Bill Gammon at the Super Shoot, shooting his Heavy at 100yds. He was so into it you couldn’t even talk to him, he shot a new record agg at 100yds. That was incredible concentration.

4. If someone were just starting BR what advice would you have for them?
Find someone who has been shooting for a few years. I had Vic Swindlehurst, just very lucky to have had him for a friend, but having someone who knows the ropes will prevent a new shooter from buying equipment that won’t cut it and wasting a great deal of money. Frustration is a killer for new shooters.

5. List 3 things about BR that you think are the most critical to small groups and small aggs.
1. Get good flags that you can read well.
2. You must have a very good gun, well put together and great barrels.
3. Bullets, powder, primers and cases. Lots to choose from, start with what the winners are using.

BUT MOST IMPORTANT – “CONCENTRATE ” WHEN SHOOTING.

To fully understand this watch Jack Neary when he is shooting!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk