Author Topic: 22 PPC  (Read 16585 times)

Offline charles

• View Profile
22 PPC
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »
Hello guys

I am a beginer in the world of benchrest and i have a few question for you.

First, i would like too know if the 22 PPC is a good choice for someone who want too begin in the benchrest Match.
I have a few firearms but this will be my first benchrest rifle.

The rifle that i look for have a 722 sleever action that is glue in the stock.
This is the firts time that i have hear that you can glue in a action. What do you think of this procedure ?

Also i would like too know what it is the barrel life of a .22 PPC.

Tanks

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 22 PPC
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:50:45 PM »
Charles, The answer to your question is that yes the 22PPC and a sleeved Rem can be used to enter the world of benchrest. Glue in action is common in BR.

Where are you located?

Rick

Offline charles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Tanks Rick for the quick reply, this is appreciate.

Im located in Quebec

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »
Charles,

Are you anywhere near Champ de tir de L'Estrie? They are holding informal centerfire and rimfire score matches. BR contact is Michel Ouellet ouelmic@vedeotron.ca
Club is located in Saint-Francois-Xavier ,near Sherbrooke Quebec. You may wish to get in contact with Michel, to get some local contacts in BR.

Back to your original question. The 22PPC is the original PPC which has since been modified into many different specifications. Most importantly you need to find out what the neck diameter of the current barrel is. It may be stamped on the barrel. Did the rifle come with any brass or loaded rounds, or loading dies? It most likely has a tight neck chamber and you will need to neck turn the brass to get it to fit.

Tell us a bit more about the rifle and what your plans are, and we can point you in the right direction.

Rick

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:39:55 AM »
As Rick said this was the original PPC! It is indeed still VERY competetive. I still play with a 22 PPC from time to time myself. I plan to make a .100 short 22 ppc for the matches next year. Some feel that the capacity of the 22 ppc is about ideal .100 shorter than the original. I shot a straight .220 Russian for a number of years (after watching George Kelbly do well with it on a bench next to me in the early 90's).
The Russian .220 has been picked up as well by a number of top shooters south of the border, though most guys have changed the shoulder angle a bit to alliviate some of the bolt thrust issues that come with a case that has so much taper. The 22 ppc doesn't have these issues its really a dream to shoot.
Your gun will move much less in the bags allowing for faster shot to shot recovery.  Welcome aboard !
Your eyes are about to be opened up as to what real rifle accuracy is all about! Caution this will spoil you!! ;D

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 06:59:31 AM »
Randy, I am making a Waldog this year. The Waldog of course was a 22PPC shorthened .125". Looking forward to shooting it.

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 07:40:57 AM »
Great minds think alike???   Are you going with a no turn neck? I had originally had that in mind but have since changed my idea. I'm going to stick with the .242"

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:34:21 AM »
Great minds think alike???   Are you going with a no turn neck? I had originally had that in mind but have since changed my idea. I'm going to stick with the .242"
Read that .246 neck   not enough coffe this morning for the brain cells to have warmed up!!!

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
Read that .246 neck   not enough coffe this morning for the brain cells to have warmed up!!!

I am going with a light turn neck. I think it was .248. Been a while since I looked at the reamer spec. I had one years ago, and liked it, so thought I would try one again. They are fun to shoot. Quieter and less upset in the bags.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:07:09 AM »
Hey R and R, thanks for a new idea for my new varmint rifle......

I was talked into a 20 PPC but now I am thinking 20 PPC Short or maybe a 20 Waldog.....  If there is boiler room why don't I just shorten the case to make sure we get good load density....

What powder is the norm for the 22PPC short or Waldog?

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:12:32 AM »
Hey R and R, thanks for a new idea for my new varmint rifle......

I was talked into a 20 PPC but now I am thinking 20 PPC Short or maybe a 20 Waldog.....  If there is boiler room why don't I just shorten the case to make sure we get good load density....

What powder is the norm for the 22PPC short or Waldog?

Calvin

Pretty standard BR related powders: H322, 4198, Benchmark.

I think a 20 on the PPC case would be fun. Just bear in mind the amount of case work to prep the cases. Push the shoulders back, trim, fireform. A true wildcat. If it is for a varmint rifle I suppose I would avoid a tight neck to save on case prep.

You could also do it on the BR case. I think that has been done more often than the PPC case.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:14:02 AM by rpollock »

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 09:41:12 AM »
Hey Bill Gammon when I look at your Avatar it has a remarkable resemblance to YOUR mug shot that they had Posted in the POST Office  Target should be replaced with your old ID number and it would be perfect!! ;D  Have a good New Year Bill!!

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 07:16:28 PM »
 I shot a 22 PPC a  while back ( actually a long while back ) ,did allright  but still could not make it do what I thought it should. I had it re chambered to a 22 Waldog and the thing came alive, used H-4895 powder filled the case up shook it a little to get the bullet in and it really smoked.

Not saying the full 22 PPC is not any good ,if that's what you have learn to shoot with it and when you decide to rebarrel if you want a 22 go the waldog or 22-100 route instead.

Joe

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 07:44:33 PM »
Yah you are right Rick on case prep.  I had a brainfar+ when I got a bit excited about it.

I think just staying with a 20 PPC even though it might be a bit on the overbore in case capacity would be the easy way to go.  I would go with a no turn neck. 

I allready have a Redding PPC neck die not being used so I have the die and the brass.  Just would need the bushings.
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline charles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
rpollock a big tanks for the inside with the contact here in estrie. Very appreciate !
For, your question a fire formed case have a .244 too the neck.
The guy who want too sell me the rifle have also tell me that the trigger is a Canjar adjustable for 1oz too 4lbs. With the deal i have a custom set trigger from brownells and 500 bullets sierra of 52 grain.

With this rifle and some pratice i hope i will be competite in the bench match next summer.
I have see what some bench guys are able too do and this is incredible.

I have a question for you guys: your rifle is glue-in or screw in the stock ?

Thank you for your welcome guys

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »
rpollock a big tanks for the inside with the contact here in estrie. Very appreciate !
For, your question a fire formed case have a .244 too the neck.
The guy who want too sell me the rifle have also tell me that the trigger is a Canjar adjustable for 1oz too 4lbs. With the deal i have a custom set trigger from brownells and 500 bullets sierra of 52 grain.

With this rifle and some pratice i hope i will be competite in the bench match next summer.
I have see what some bench guys are able too do and this is incredible.

I have a question for you guys: your rifle is glue-in or screw in the stock ?

Thank you for your welcome guys

Glad to provide a contact. That is the whole idea for the forum.

I prefer a glue in action, but there are just as many who prefer the pillar bedding and screw in action. Looking forward to hearing how things go.

Rick

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
FWIW, I too am thinking 22PPC or 22 Waldog.  But first I need to get out to a few Southern Ontario matches to check out the scene here, before I commit to an expensive rifle build.  Or more accurately, before my significant other will allow me to commit to rifle build ;)

-- Stephen

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
Gene Beggs down in the States developed the .220 Beggs(.220 Russian case with a different shoulder/neck radius to stop abundant brass flow) to do the same thing as the .22-100 ppc.  Basically no case forming, use Lapua brass, turn the necks a touch and go shoot. 

There are a couple of them here in Campbell River and the one with a new bbl shoots very,very  well.  I built mine for a gopher gun on a used bbl and with 50gr Opel varmints it will shoot 3/8" consistently.  Nobby Uno has the reamer.

Do a search on Benchrest Central for more info.

cheers
Greg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk