Author Topic: Winter Shooting  (Read 10285 times)

Offline RayS

• View Profile
Winter Shooting
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »
I've noticed the number of posts has greatly declined since the end of the formal benchrest season ???.  Does anyone else, besides me, shoot (practice) all winter.  I have found that if I place a small electric heater near my trigger hand I can shoot in all but the coldest weather :).  It sure helps that the shooting port is protected on all sides and overtop.  That keeps the wind and snow out but the cold is still the problem.  I use my 2000 watt portable generator at the range and attach a 1500 watt electric heater to it.  As long as I dress to suit the conditions, I find that by keeping my shooting hand warm I'm good for about 1.5 hours of shooting.  Does anyone else shoot and if so, how do you deal with the cold?
Ray

Offline phil

• View Profile
Re: Winter Shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:53:26 PM »
I used to be crazy, but I'm alright now. ( Will be in Arizona by January 1 st. )

Phil

Offline SeanPSG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:22:58 PM »
I actually get out quite a bit, we all have propane heater buddies, dress warm and avoid windy days.  Also do a lot of rimfire as range is sheltered on 3 sides so less wind.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »
Unfortunately living in this GOD for saken country of Canada, Manitoba to boot, I do not waste good bullets, powder, or barrel life in the cold.  I just feel it is NOT worth the waste.  So for myself, after my last match the Bench Rest rifles go to sleep.  I go through everything related to the sport and it goes to sleep as well.

Depending on the spring is when those items come out.  Up until then I pull out my .223 and my .243 and play around with them.  Even then the weather has to be fair out.

I HATE WINTER.  I used to be an avid snowmobiler.  I gave it up when I realized how much my weekends were costing me when I was the only income in the house.  This is when I started shooting more.  This was pre introduction to Bench Rest.  A weekend would cost me a few hundred in fuel, then the food and booze on top of that.  Shooting was a range membership, about an 8 minute drive to the local range and some reloading supplies. 

Today that is a different story since I found Bench Rest.

Regardless, I HATE WINTER and the COLD.  For me sitting in a warm house hibernating with a stash of 40 Creek makes me HAPPY HAPPY (as Phil from Duck Dynasty would say)
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Gordon Wald

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
Calvin;  I'm sure glad that you find benchrest to be an inexpensive shooting sport.  I, myself, find a winter trip to Mexico to be cheaper than benchrest, also better and easier on my liver.  I can't get 40 creek down there though.  Gord

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Gord you misunderstood me.  Shooting used to be inexpensive until I started shooting BR.  I just used to play around with my 22-250 until I seen and held my first BR rifle.  Then I jumped into it whole hog.

Now everything but trips with my daughter, vet bills for my best buddy my dog, and BR go by the wayside.  I will sleep on this old mattress that I have just so I can buy more bullets, powder and barrels....... LOL
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:28:08 AM »
Matress???? I am catching hel ar wrk and from the wife because my wardrobe is 10 years old and I refuse t waste the price of 100 bullets on a new pair of pants. Lets not even start on the shoes thing.

Offline K Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:17:30 AM »
  Does anyone else shoot and if so, how do you deal with the cold?
Ray

It is not easy with the biggest deterrent being Brain Freeze.  Chasing tune during the day with 133 is literally hit and miss. Also recommend keeping naked bolt in your pant pocket as this can finish you off real quick.  I do not have the luxury of practice and often use this time to clean out left over lot’s of powder, bullets and primers.

It is also great to see friends that you haven’t seen for a while…………

Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk