Author Topic: Charlie Womack info??????  (Read 6588 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Charlie Womack info??????
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:25:04 AM »
Does anyone have info about Charlie?

Born, grew up, BR history of where he shot?

How/Why the trophies were in his honor?

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie Womack info??????
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
picture on this page: http://www.benchrest.ca/Historical_Information.html

Early BRSC News letters should have info.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »
Joe mendham sent me some info on Charlie, see below.

Cal, Charlie Womack was one of  my mentors, when I shot my first bench match 1979 in Clearwater B.C. ,Charlie took me under his wing and taught me what to look for on the range and how to shoot.

Charlie was originally from Corpus Christi, Texas and through numerous stops ended up in Lone Butte B.C. where he worked as a guide .  He started shooting BR sometime in the 70s at an age probably in his 60s.

He shot mostly in Clearwater B.C, also in  Calgary, Puget Sound, Wa.  ( Seattle )  and a few places back east in the states, not really sure.

Charlie was always a good shot and usually one of the contenders at most matches. He was the first one that I know of that had a true custom action,  A Hart built by the Hart's  (remember this is 1970s)

The Womack trophies  were named after him because he was the one that put up the money for the  2 trophies, an East and a West.     

Charlie passed away in 1989 at about 83 years old.
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline TAB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »
G'day
I had the upmost pleasure of meeting and spending time in the company of Charlie and his lovely wife Marge in 1975 as they were part of a merry band and only Canadians in the troupe that Skip Gordon chaperoned to Australia in November of that year. The purpose of the trip was a bit of business, some sightseeing and to shoot with us in the Speer Lovelock matches in Canberra and the Queensland Varmint Titles in Brisbane.

The first four days the group spent in Sydney they attended to all the things visitors do in this country and it was during these days  Tom and I really became attached to the Womacks.  The four of us spent a very pleasant summers day enjoying each others company at a luncheon cruising on Sydney Harbour and a walk around the Opera House.

Then it was onto the nation's capital Canberra.  Can tell you Charlie used a Hart custom action, chambered in .222, McMillan barrel with a Redfield scope in Heavy Varmint and in Light a Sleeved 700 Remington action, again in .222, McMillan barrel with a Leupold/Siebert conversion scope.
(It was 1975 and this was top line equipment).
A week later it was off to Brisbane and afterwards time on the Great Barrier Reef and  a short stay on Heron Island.

A perusal of Top 10 results of both matches doesn't show Charlie featured but knew he had a great time and enjoyed himself however he did enter the annals of Australian Benchrest by being the first Canadian to compete in a registered Australian match.

Ann Brummell

Offline Bill Leeper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »
Charlie Womack was one of the stalwarts of the Clearwater, B.C. BR club and of the BRSC. There were a number of characters in the Clearwater club and Charlie was most assuredly one of them. I think Charlie might have had some difficulty at today's matches as he was a man who kind of liked to talk and during the match was as good as any other time. There were a few of the early shooters whose company I truly enjoyed and Charlie was most definitely one of them.
Charlie perfectly illustrated that while you can take the man out of Texas, you can't take Texas out of the man. He had lived in BC since before I was born but still sounded like Texas. I think he was still coming to grips with the fact that BC was bigger.
Some of the great entertainment was the running commentary between Charlie, Alex Bulman, and Harlan Govett during the match.
That Hart action had a PPC bolt fitted to it by Larry Bagget in 1977, I believe. I put a McMillan barrel on it in the winter of 79.
I think it was in 1978 that Charlie suffered a stroke which got him to thinking of his own mortality and he donated the Womack Memorial trophies out of the mistaken feeling that he might be forgotten. Not likely.  Regards,   Bill.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk