Author Topic: WTB Varmint for Score Rifle  (Read 9215 times)

Offline RayS

• View Profile
WTB Varmint for Score Rifle
« on: July 21, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »
Well the shooting bug has gotten to me again  ::).  Now that I have a great gun for BR I am looking for something to shoot in Varmint for Score shooting.  Would like an entry level gun (or better) that I can grow with and upgrade if needed.  I've heard that .30 cal is the flavour of the month for this type of shooting but let me know what you think.  Additional use for the gun will be shooting targets at 500 and 600 meters on rare occasion.  PM with what you have.
Thanks
Ray
P.S.  Any helpful tips appreciated.

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
Re: WTB Varmint for Score Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:06:33 AM »
Sounds like two conflicting uses. In 100 and 200 yard Score the .30 BR has gained favor. Downside is recoil unless its a 13.5 lbs gun and scarcity of match bullets in .30 cal. I use a 10.5 pound Light Varmint Group gun and shoot both Score and Group. I can get past a 30 BR if I shoot straight. For shooting 500 or 600 meters an 8 twist 6 BR with 107 grain bullets would be the choice.

Dwayne

Offline RayS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
Dwayne:
The 500 and 600 meter shooting is a very occasional thing and I can't justify spending money on a precision gun for use maybe twice a year.  The 30BR is a caliber that interests me and I have been looking for info on it.  I've seen some of the scores you've posted in matches and you're a better shooter than I but I'm practicing.  I can understand the problem of scarcity in match bullets for the .30 cal.  Right now I can't find a source of 68 gr. Bergers #24411 for my 6PPC so that limits my shooting.  Might have to take a ride up to Kenora and see how you "experts" shoot.  Could be a good learning experience for me. :)
Ray

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »
I don't know about experts up here. There might be one if Calvin shows up. Our next centerfire score match is Sunday August 25th, 200 meters. Its usually windy for that one. You are located about 5 1/2 hours from Kenora and about 8 hours from Selkirk. You are welcome to come out and give it a try. After the match is over you can try pounding at 500 meters here.

Dwayne 

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
Ray

PM sent.

Dwayne

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
Hi Ray, for a long time most guys in Campbell River have shot their 6ppc's out to 500yds.  We start with a relay at 100yds then jump out to 500 for 3 relays or so then back to 300yds and finish back at 100.  The 6ppc's will shoot 2" - 2.5" groups at 500 fairly easily.  Lately a few guys use another 6br custom gun for the 500 and maybe the 300 depending on the wind, leaving their 6ppc for the short range.  The 6br's with 105's will group around and under 1.5". 

One fellow has a switch bbl Panda and goes back and forth from ppc to 6br then back to ppc.

Not saying any one way is better than the other, just how some do it out here.

cheers
Greg

Offline RayS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »
Greg:
I have a 6BR that I was thinking of trying this Thursday evening at the club range.  I've been shooting lighter bullets in it (90 grs.) but have some 105 Bergers that I'll load up and give it a try.  We shoot at 100, 200 and 300 meters and I purchased some score targets from Sinclair so a few of us can give it a try.
Ray

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Hi Ray, how'd the 6br work?  Some guys shoot the 80gr Bergers at short range here and the 105's out at 500.

If you want more score targets, there's an outfit in the States that sells them quite reasonable.  Here's a link  http://www.shotmaster10x.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1852

cheers
Greg

Offline RayS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:12:35 AM »
Greg:
Got rained out on that Thursday but tried them at another range the following week.  Could only shoot at 100 meters but was really happy with the groups I got.  I think a little more work on the loads and I'll be ready to shoot at the 300.  Thanks for the link on the targets.  I have a couple of people interested in trying it. 
Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk