Author Topic: New Zealand 2017  (Read 14520 times)

Offline IanOwen

• View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
This thread has been a very interesting read, I can only imagine what it would be like to have more competitors than positions available for the WBC teams, and be in the position to come to a fair and unbiased selection criteria.

Since NZ has a small BR community, I got told while having dinner one evening during WBC in France (by the then WBSF president), to come up with a fair and unbiased selection criteria for the NZ WBC teams. It wouldn't be right if it seemed like I was putting myself in the "A" team all the time.

While we don't have the "East - West" thing we do seem to have a "North - South" thing where most of the South Island shooters travel North for the qualifying North Island shoot yet not many of the North Island competitors travel South for the South Island qualifying shoots. This means that there are usually less competitors at the South Island qualifying shoots, except for Nationals (which are held on the most central Benchrest range in NZ - Nelson)

This meant (using the US, Aussie or even the Canadian selection criteria) that the ones that attended the smaller shoots were disadvantaged, and I wasn't going to try and compare aggs for several different shoots, afterall aggs are only comparable on the same range on the same day.

I wanted a points system that rewarded consistency in the 2 gun (after all it's a 2 gun event) and came up with the following, the points are awarded on your 2 gun placing i.e 1 point for 1st, 2 points for 2nd, 10 points for 10th etc. and your 4 lowest scores from 8 qualifying shoots determine your place in the teams. This means the number of shooters at a competition doesn't come into it.

This (sort of) works for us......the reason I say sort of is, because since I didn't make the "A" team it was suggested by several of the competitors that I should be moved into the A team and one of the A team put down into the B team. I refused to alter the teams and was backed by our National body (NZDA) which didn't make me popular with some Benchrest shooters.....I got told I was doing things to benefit myself.

I think no matter what the selection criteria is someone will think it disadvantages some competitors, yet an alternative selection criteria may disadvantage other competitors.

WBC is a large financial and time commitment, if some only want to put their hat in the ring for selection when it's in their own backyard then given there is 4 years notice of where it is going to be they have 2 - 3 years to save so they can participate in the selection process.

These are just my thoughts and opinions.

Ian

Offline IanOwen

• View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »
Well since there is so much interest in getting onto the Canada team for 2015 I thought I'd post a pic of the Nelson Range which will host the 2017 WBC.............see if I can encourage as much interest in attending when it's in New Zealand.

A couple of years ago all the trees you see were logged, so it looks a bit different now but there will be some small trees present by 2017.......Ian

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:01:01 AM »
Hi Ian, thanks for the picture. Do you have any pictures of the firing line or other facilities?

Offline BobR

• View Profile
    • Hunting and shooting forum
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »
Awesome picture, makes me want to book holiday + tours now... will need to wait for qualifying to be confirmed first.

Hey, I think I see Bilbo Baggins behind the berm  :o
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:31:43 AM by BobR »

Offline IanOwen

• View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »
I will get some up to date photos at Easter when I go up for Nationals.

At present there are 20 Benches and we will most likely be loading in a big marque tent as the present facilities only accommodate about 12 - 15 shooters.
We do not have power at the range, something to do with cost due to being several km's inside a working forest.

Offline laulumaa

• View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:53:17 AM »

Offline IanOwen

• View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:16:47 AM »
Hi Ian, is it this one?
http://www.nzdanelson.co.nz/Packers%20Creek%20Range.html
Cheers!

Yes that is it, don't the hills look bare without the trees...........Cheers

Offline John VM

• View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
Hi Ian,
 Can you give us a little info on the firearms regs for those interested in going to NZ in 2017. A little description of the surrounding area and sights?
John

Offline IanOwen

• View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »
Hi Ian,
 Can you give us a little info on the firearms regs for those interested in going to NZ in 2017. A little description of the surrounding area and sights?
John

At present the firearms regs for visitors with firearms are very minimal, you fill out a form and pay a $25.00 fee when you arrive, show your firearms licence and are issued with a temporary firearms licence.
Most likely, like last time this will be pre sorted and all the competitors will have to do is show their firearm and the paperwork will already be completed before you arrive.

So if everything is the same by 2017 then the regs won't be a problem. The range is about 10 - 15 mins drive from downtown Nelson.

Since Nelson is at the top of the South Island also this Island isn't that big, but it has some of the most diverse and spectacular scenery in the world.

Nelson is usually quite sunny and hot, you have wineries, the sea, Abel Tasman National Park, a nice walk to the centre of New Zealand (geographically), sea kayaking, Golden Bay, plus many many more activities and places to see.

A couple of websites to give you some ideas (maybe)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Trending-g255678-t2-Nelson_Nelson_Tasman_Region_South_Island.html
http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/nelson/attractions-and-activities

For those that wanted to have a holiday and do some driving to see some of the South Islands most spectacular and diverse scenery, I could post some recommendations of where to fly into and what is a must see and do...but this would be based on Helen's and my personal experiences.
I could even post some photo's we have taken.

Cheers
Ian
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:43:15 AM by IanOwen »

Offline IanOwen

• View Profile
New Zealand 2017
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:14:25 AM »
I think it is more properly spelled    whine-err-eees (when we get there)     ;D

from someone who does not know how to use spellcheck

how much to have you be my coach when we get there,     

Jeffy

Jeff how are you mate?

Now for coaching I like Bourbon (Wild Turkey), Pinot and Sauvignon Blanc and to give you a tip, when the tails are hanging at Nelson I just hate to pull the trigger  ;D the group will be bigger than you expect and you won't know why ??? :o

Ian

Offline DaveHolmes (Homer)

• View Profile
Re: New Zealand 2017
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
We're giving some thoughts about 2017.  Lots to do between now and then but certainly considering it.

Have a question,  How do you manage a world shoot with only 20 benches.

Jeff--Are you making it to Kelbly's this year  and the camping spot beside us?

Dave & Vicky  (your backup scorer for 2015)

Offline IanOwen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 01:12:25 AM »
We're giving some thoughts about 2017.  Lots to do between now and then but certainly considering it.

Have a question,  How do you manage a world shoot with only 20 benches.

Jeff--Are you making it to Kelbly's this year  and the camping spot beside us?

Dave & Vicky  (your backup scorer for 2015)

Dave the minimum number of benches required to host a World Championship is 25, at present Nelson has 20 we will be extending that to 25 for the WBC competition.

2017 is still a ways off, but the range in Nelson was NOTHING like it is now 4 years prior to the 2001 WBC Champs, Graeme Smith and one or two others managed to organise an awesome venue and event for 2001, and will do the same for 2017.

Hope that answers your question.

Ian
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:42:10 AM by IanOwen »

Offline Fergus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »

Have a question,  How do you manage a world shoot with only 20 benches.

Dave

You also have to remember that you are only shooting one yardage per day, so 6 targets including the warmer. In Australia we ran 6 details per day, so even with 20 benches NZ could probably manage the WBC given the attendance southern hemisphere matches seem to attract. But as Ian mentioned, the rules require a minimum of 25 benches.

Offline DaveHolmes (Homer)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
Thanks Ian & Fergus for the info.
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk