Author Topic: Petrel based versus water based bore cleaning solutions  (Read 6065 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Petrel based versus water based bore cleaning solutions
« on: May 02, 2014, 08:13:10 PM »

Well what are your thoughts?

I switched from Butch's to Aqua Clean. Was tired of the smell and getting all that bad juju on my skin. I hate wearing gloves as I want to know if it is on my fingers so I do not pass it on to finishes it may harm.

I had concerns whether or not it would be effective. To be safe I decided to use it in tandem with Bore Tech Elimator for the copper. 3 wet with Aqua Clean, brushed with Bore tech, dried, then lightly lubed with Eezox. I did this for years not owning a bore scope knowing if it was working. A quick check with a borescope advised me it was working. I have a small carbon ring in the throat but I am not concerned as I trim my brass every time I reload it. That was 2 years ago.

Today I borrowed a friends scope to look at some new Bartleins. I really like how they look inside. Are these the ones?

Decided to confirm my cleaning again. No copper but a light copper wash about 4" out from the throat. What to use? Flitz paste or Flitz liquid bore cleaner? I decided to short stroke 3 patches with the Flitz liquid bore cleaner, cleaned with 4 wet Aqua clean patches, dried, then scoped again. Copper wash gone.

Needless to say I am happy with my solvent choices.

I also use Canadian made First Choice bore cleaner as cannot seem to get Aqua Clean in Canada anymore. Canadian laws supposedly. It works just as well if not better.

just some info for the water based skeptics. Your body and environment will love you for the switch.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
Re: Petrel based versus water based bore cleaning solutions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »
That has been my findings as well , First choice works as good as any .

Offline FBMAYER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
Any opinions on Wipe Out.
hard to find in Canada.

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
I have some wipeout I will test it this  week and let you know

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
While I have used the standard solvents for many years, items like Hoppes, Shooter Choices MC-7, Butches Bore Shine, Barnes CR-10, Sweets 7.62 and several others, including home made products like Ed's Red, or Kroil mixes etc. I can honestly say that they all will work in a proper cleaning routine.
When the newer generation of cleaner came out like Wipe Out (liquid or foam), Aqua Clean, and a couple others now. They were a  couple of the more advertised products, that folks will know.
The two major benefits to these type of bore cleaner over there ability to remove carbon and copper for bores of firearms was, they were not flammable(water based), nice benefit for indoor cleaning and low odor (ammonia) emissions again great advantage for indoor cleaning.

When we worked with a chemical company to develop the 1st Choice Bore Cleaner we asked that several requirements be met.
Odor,  a solvent that did not require any additional accelerants to enhance or speed up the chemical reaction, rust inhibitors built in.

Like all cleaners there must be some form of chemical reaction to enable it to breakdown/dissolve the product that we want removed, in this case carbon and copper. The chemicals and the strengths with which they are mixed can have a major roll in how quickly/effectively they preform the required task. Testing has shown that water based cleaners are as effective as the petroleum based cleaners, and in the case of 1st Choice Bore Cleaner it has shown that rusting is not an issue also.

We all have tried many different cleaners over the years, do not hesitate to try something new.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk