Author Topic: getting started  (Read 19678 times)

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
Re: getting started
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 06:01:35 AM »
Please explain the above , not sure what your trying to convey

I am not into telling people what to think. The link just provides us with something to think about.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:02:13 AM by Blairguy »

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 08:16:29 AM »
It's a great story and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to get out of it  , can you spell it out for me please ? Thanks

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »
Pesky,
Didn't mean do cause any trouble for anyone. There are so many ways to look at things but one of the frustrations I had as a beginner was to see that many proven experts don't always agree. Then it was a question of just who are the proven experts anyway. If you shoot a world record does that make you a proven expert? Is that 12 year old girl the newest expert in our ranks? Are all proven experts good mentors?

The people that helped me the most were the ones that understood where I was at in the process but they are not what I would call the proven experts. I was not interested in having someone, even if it was Tony Boyer himself, dictate to me. I wanted the fun of trying things on my own even they had already been done by others many times throughout history.
I have made it a point to encourage my children to discover shooting. When my oldest daughter who had never shot a rifle before outshot me I was all smiles. But when I saw that it didn't phase her I asked her what the problem was. She said it was too easy because I had figured it all out for her.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:29:30 PM by Blairguy »

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »
its no trouble , I was just trying to figure out what you were getting at, let me try to shed  some perspective on the article you pointed to, the little girl did a great job of shooting a very good top of the line rail. (the same rail just shot a record 5 shot agg with Lou driving it) that was obviously well tuned for the day by the owner of that rail. Does that mean she is an expert ,nope, it means she listened to who ever was coaching her,(smart girl) He does pretty well in sbr out west. It is good to see younger people getting into the sport and we need to promote and support them , that is what I got out of the article.

I'm not sure what a proven expert is,  I look for help from  winners,(they are easy to find their on the top of the list at all the big shoots) those are the guys/girls I want to learn from, in contrast I am not likely to take advice from people who are at the bottom of the list or don't compete at all, If you have met TB you would know that the first thing he tells you is that there are many ways to do this sport, his is just one of them, When I am fortunate enough that Tony" talks" to me (my experience is that Tony will make a suggestion ,not dictate) , he has my full and undivided attention. Just  anyone at the top of the list would.
no matter where you are in the process advice form the top guys  is always helpful and will keep you from wasting time going down the wrong path, which is easy to do.
My experience has been very positive in this sport,  I have enjoyed meeting the other shooters from across Canada and the U.S, all of whom have been very helpful.

MY suggestion for Grant would be, get out and shoot and have fun with what you have , ask lots of questions and read the books I already mentioned,  that will be the cheapest education you can buy , come to the clinic in May ,shoot some full on bench guns and see if this is for you , Then proceed from there, there are lots of good br shooters in Canada and they will get you going on the right path should you decide you like it and want to go to the next level.

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 02:53:28 PM »
Pesky,
Amen to that. If I had a chance to chat with TB I surely would.
But then if I had a chance to chat with Calvin about his journey into BR and the learning curve he experienced then I surely would do that too. And there are many others. My dream job is water boy for our BR team at the worlds.
Respectfully, Mike

Offline gburwash

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »
Iam very glad i asked the questions, i want to do the course before i start pissing money out the window. From what some are saying, the reloading dies i need are even different. Iam hearing the standard rcbs or redding ones are not the ticket for extreame accuracy.

General thoughts?
I perform all my own stunts!

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
Greg, my thoughts on dies.

You are going to be shooting a factory made rifle in .222.  In my opinion the best possible die combination is to get a Redding Type S Full Length Neck sizing die.  This die allows you to control neck tension with bushings and allows you to set shoulder bump by how much you screw the die in or out of the press.  Just the sizing die.  Forget about a seater.  Redding part number 77109

For seating get a arbor press and a Wilson inline seater.  You can go either with SS or the standard.  I recommend SS.  Is a micrometer adjustable top required?  Not really.  Get a few sets of skips shims for the seater die and you can adjust that way if you want to try different Ogive lengths.
Here is a link to a nice little Bald Eagle Arbor press...... http://www.busybeetools.com/categories/Metalworking/Arbor-Press/?sort=bestselling

Another nice reloading do dad is the PMA Micro die adjuster.  Very nice piece of equipment for getting your shoulder bump set just right and fine tweaking......http://www.pmatool.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_48&products_id=377

Hope this helps. 

Until you get to the point of maybe getting your own reamer to use every time, then you can think about a custom made die to match your chamber.

Calvin

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk