Author Topic: Reloading Components in Canada  (Read 11416 times)

Offline South_Pender

• Vancouver
    • View Profile
Reloading Components in Canada
« on: January 25, 2015, 09:59:54 AM »
I'm new to this forum and am coming back to shooting after an absence of a few years.  While trying to obtain certain components the way I had years ago from the  US, I've discovered that new US laws have prohibited suppliers of reloading components from shipping to Canada.

So how do we obtain cases and bullets now in Canada?  I'd like to get some brass to get started again, and have discovered Bart's Bullets that seem worth trying.  Who are the big Canadian suppliers?  Or even small suppliers?

Offline DanO

• View Profile
Re: Reloading Components in Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
Tell us what components you are looking for and we can give some options.

Offline South_Pender

• Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:46:57 AM »
OK.  Norma 22 PPC brass.  Bart's Bullets.  And possibly some BR brass to form to 22 BR.

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
You might find some Sako .22ppc brass.  A friend bought some from Granlunds a few yrs ago.   

Barts bullets I don't think so.  If Dan Opel gets back to making .22 cal bullets get some of his, they work well. 

Get some Lapua 6br brass from Hirsch Precision.

Cheers
Greg

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:37:03 PM »
South Pender, from what I know there is no one up in Canada who does any custom brass prep.

There are guys in the states that do it but that is in the US.  No good to you up here.  I believe the minimum charge for a prepped case is 1.00/case.  So your 110.00 or so Canadian for a box of brass is up to about 210.00.

If guys are like me, they set there neck turners to the thickness they want and NEVER touch it.  They would buy another and set it up.  That is the way I would do it if I had to.  So messing with a neck turner to make brass for someone else would not be in my interests unless I had a lathe that I could dedicate to that.  Then you mentioned fully fire formed.  There would be added costs for that.  Powder, primers, bullets, having a dedicated fireforming rig.

Hate to say it but I think you are going to have to tackle it yourself, buy the necessary tools and get at it. 

It is a tedious enough process in my mind doing it for ones self let alone another.

Brass, Hirsch Precision will probably be the best pricing.  Bart's bullets, good luck.  22 caliber match bullets, Berger would probably be the easiest to get.  IF and when Dan Opel gets back at it he may still make some 22 cal bullets.  Dan has a big enough order of 6mm bullets he needs to get out before match season starts so .22's are likely on the back burner.

Maybe I should have spent my pension lawsuit winnings on bullet making equipment????  I doubt that.  It would have taken to long to get a set of of carbide dies and who knows if they would produce winning quality bullets.........  Then the tax man would have wanted 1/2 of it anyways.

Wish I had better news for you.

Calvin 
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 03:40:58 PM »
For brass try Hirsch Precision 902-829-2932

Offline South_Pender

• Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »
One last question re BR brass.  It looks as if only 6 BR brass is available.  So necking this down to .22 should be straightforward.  The question: Is it good practice to simply run the 6 BR brass through a 22 BR full-length resizing die in one pass or will this overwork the brass?  I assume the other alternative would be a special forming die that would do the reduction in stages.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »
6BR to 22BR in one pass......

In regards to your statement it looks as if only 6BR brass is available, what exactly do you mean????  That Hirsch does not have any 220 Russian in stock??????

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline RayS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
I've used the one pass method without any problems.  As far as the Norma brass goes, I've had a local gun shop order Norma brass for me last year (it was 6PPC)and had it withing two weeks.  I know others who use Norma brass (various calibers) and seem to be able to obtain it without any real problems.  Any good gun shop or gun smith should be able to get it for you.  The big box sporting goods stores probably won't as they like to handle only things that sell large volumes.  As far as I know the simplest route to 22BR brass is to use the 6BR brass and simply neck size it.  Hope this helps.

Offline South_Pender

• Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
6BR to 22BR in one pass......

In regards to your statement it looks as if only 6BR brass is available, what exactly do you mean????  That Hirsch does not have any 220 Russian in stock??????

Calvin
I meant that there is no 22 BR brass.  I've ordered Norma 6 BR brass from Target Shooting Products, and am grateful for the confirmation that I can simply pass it through my 22 BR FL dies to be good to go.  As for my 22 PPC, I would rather go with Norma brass that is available in 22 PPC (as well as 6 PPC) than fuss with 220 Russian brass.

Offline RayS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 06:41:13 PM »
South Pender
Like you I would rather go with Norma than waste time and barrel life fireforming brass.  I have had no problems with the Norma brass I've used in 6PPC.  Norma does list a 22PPC USA brass in its' lineup.  Again, if you have a good gun dealer/smith in your area check with them to see if they can get it.  You could also try Jerry at Mystic Precision in B.C. or Rayn'er Shine Gun Works in Sask. as I believe they both have access to Norma.

Offline South_Pender

• Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »
South Pender
Like you I would rather go with Norma than waste time and barrel life fireforming brass.  I have had no problems with the Norma brass I've used in 6PPC.  Norma does list a 22PPC USA brass in its' lineup.  Again, if you have a good gun dealer/smith in your area check with them to see if they can get it.  You could also try Jerry at Mystic Precision in B.C. or Rayn'er Shine Gun Works in Sask. as I believe they both have access to Norma.

Ray, I have contacted Jerry, and he is in the process of bringing in some Norma 22 PPC brass for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk