Author Topic: BR50 info needed  (Read 13296 times)

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
BR50 info needed
« on: May 12, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »
Just getting into rimfire benchrest and looking for a new scope when I realized that having a copy of the rules would be a very good idea for max weight etc. I've done some searching on the internet but it all gets very confusing as to what rules to use. A gentle nudge as to where I would find them would be much appreciated.
My setup so far is a Cooper TRP3 with a jard 2 oz trigger, Mueller 8-32×44 and tuner.
 My ultimate goal is to compete in BR50.

Keith

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: BR50 info needed
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:42:58 PM »
Any particular reason you are asking about BR50?  I am unaware of any BR 50 matches being shot in Canada.  I know Kenora ON shoots using IBS/Modified IBS rules.  BR 50 is to confusing from what I see.

I prefer keeping it simple.  Hit the Bullseye, 10 points, hot the dot it is a 10X etc down the line.

I guess what we or I need to know is which rimfire are you set on shooting?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:43:37 PM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »
There was just a rimfire BR50 in Mission, The results are posted here in the "Club Events".

"MISSION BC BR50 Rimfire Shoot May 2, 2015"

My plan is to see if there are others interested in shooting rimfire BR50 here in Calgary and also to compete at the Mission events. They have a rimfire BR50 every month from what I see on their calendar, next one is May 30th but I won't be ready by then (don't even have wind flags yet). I sure hope I'm not misreading this info about rimfire BR50.

Keith

Offline custombullpup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:21 PM »
BR50 is indeed alive and well in Mission BC. We generally have from 15 to 18 shooters monthly. While Bob Goehring is the Head Honcho I do the write-ups which Rick kindly posts here for us. The last one gives you an idea of the equipment used.  There are a few other posts; I only started putting them on when I took over the write- ups but we have been shooting regularly for several years. We shoot in two relays commencing at 9:00 AM, using four of the standard ARA 25 bull targets for 100 score rounds. we finish by 11:00-11:30. This is an incredibly difficult discipline; any wind at all moves these 1050 FPS bullets all over the place. While many use the one piece rests that are acceptable in ARA I do not since I use this to practice for CF BR as well.

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 03:44:54 AM »
BR50 is also very much alive and well in New Brunswick. We don't post equipment lists but most shooters are using Anschutz rifles (a variety from older Model 54 target rifles to the newest 1907 or square actions all in BR stocks). There are some Savage Heavy barrel rifle - amazing entry level performance! We shoot 2X the standard 25 bull target in Petitcodiac and another 2X targets (same target but reduced to 20 scoring shots per each) in Minto per month - so typically 2 Matches per  month. The Sporter class rifle is shot in Minto - again 2X targets. Our shoots are typically attended up to about 20 shooters from the first weekend in January to early fall when we have our Final Championships.
We allow 2 piece rests but not one piece. Tuners are OK. We haven't limited ammo. Our scoring is up - not down - resulting in encouraging scores and several perfect targets per year.
Results are posted on http://www.newbrunswick-benchrest.blogspot.ca/ - take a look.
Bert
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:36:42 AM by Bertde »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 03:02:19 PM »
So I am curious, any particular reason you guys are all sooting BR 50?  and not the other Rimfire BR Styles?

I take it you are scoring 100 points for a bull?  Scoring WORST edge?  So if you cut the 10 ring, is it a 50 or 100?

Sell me on BR 50 over say using the IBS targets.  10 for a bull and an X if you hit the dot.

I am slowly getting myself fired up to shoot some Rimfire score.  Think it will be cheaper than shooting centerfire.  It is really getting me PO'd at the cost of bullets for centerfire.  Not sure if it is the distributors or the actual stores screwing us.  But a box of 40gr Sierra BK's that I used to get for about 27.00 a year and a bit ago is now 45.00..........  Give me a break.

The shooting sports are slowly dying in my world.  Looks like it will be cheaper to go back to some of my other past times.....

Even Air Rifle BR is looking more promising.  Just need to find the right rifle that will make me Happy Happy Happy.

Just an opinion from a cranky guy today.
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
custombullpup and Bertde

Thanks for the info! I just picked up a Leupold 45x45 which I'm pretty excited about, got it for $1000.00 shipped on CGN EE. I still need to know what the weight limit is for my setup in BR50, probably 10+ lbs? I would like to post a photo of my setup and get some feedback from you guys, that would be awesome!!

cyanchycki
I got into rimfire BR because I like putting bullets through the same hole without a huge bang and not breaking the bank.... its that simple. I've done a lot of indoor rimfire shooting with a modified CZ452 and really enjoyed it. Now going to an outdoor range with the Cooper TRP3 the added effect of the wind just makes it more interesting for me. Don't get me wrong I'm still very new at reading the wind but I like the concept. The cost for high end rounds is .20 -.30+ each which is getting up there but I practice with ones that are more in the .15 range. Plinking rounds are .07 and up.
Keith

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 05:04:35 PM »
CUSTOMBULLPUP and Bert, click on this link and tell us exactly what targets you shoot at.

http://rimfirebenchrest.com/misc/target.html

Thanks

Dwayne

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »
New member here, I shoot BR50 with CUSTOMBULLPUP. We use the ARA target.

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 06:08:33 PM »
Are you guys referring to all 50 yard rimfire benchrest as BR50 regardless of rule book or type of target?

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 07:48:02 PM »
Here is a pic of the target we shoot. http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/joefr2500x350.jpg
Here is pic of how the target is scored. http://www.americanrimfire.com/media/ARA_Target_ScoreBull%281%29.jpg

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »
22forever

After you posted the target and mentioned ARA I looked up their rules which can be found here
https://www.americanrimfire.com/media/rules/ARA-2011-Rules.pdf and they show the same target Mission uses.

These rules have only 2 classes, Unlimited and Sporter (under 8.5 lbs (inclusive of scope) and must be a repeater)

Are these the rules the Mission Club follows?

Almost forgot....where can I buy the ARA targets in the Calgary area?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:48:20 PM by KeithZ »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk