Author Topic: First BR50 card  (Read 12785 times)

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
First BR50 card
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »
Shot my first target for score today (non comp). I normally shoot for grouping so this was the first time I've shot a quasi ARA 50 yd rimfire target. Before I started I figured it would be pretty easy, how hard can it be to keep inside a 1/2". Boy was I wrong, this is not as easy as it looks!! I was using 3/8" rods with surveyors tape attached to the top as wind flags and setup 3 of them. Getting the wind strength was not bad but it was really hard to get the wind direction specially when the flags were not all showing the same direction. Next purchase will be proper wind flags! Anyone try the wind flags from  RPS International near Edmonton? They range from $32 to $64 Canadian, stands extra. http://www.rpsinternational.com/twindflags.html

Questions
-I started top left then switched back and forth horizontally till my last shot was the lowest right target. Is this an efficient way to shoot the card?
-I noticed what I've been reading about in "waiting for your conditions". When you see "your conditions" do you get as many shots as you can in and do you still check before each shot to make sure your conditions are still there? Or take a couple shots then check conditions to shorten time between shots? I found myself leaning towards the latter.
-Is it common to cheat the hold off a little against the direction of the wind to cover for a unnoticed let up of the wind?
-Do most people keep both eyes open? I find this really hard to do.
-I found myself setting up the hold off then moving my eyes to where I expected the bullet to hit. Is this a good idea or is it better to keep your eye on the hold off to make sure it does not move?

Here is the card

The target looks very close to an official ARA BR50 target. The photo copy is on 11x17 paper and then I used spray glue to stick it to  poster paper I had so I could get crisp holes. I can't find anywhere to buy the official ARA targets in the Calgary area. If anyone knows where I can buy them could you please let me know.

Can someone with an official ARA target see if the inside diameter of the inner circle is very close to 1/2" please.

I had a hard time deciding if this was a 100 or a 50. There is a small tear that cuts the 100/50 line but the outside diameter of the bullet seems to be inside the edge.
Thoughts?

Appreciate any feedback or comments

Thanks
Keith

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
Re: First BR50 card
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »
Here is a link how to score the ARA target. http://www.americanrimfire.com/media/ARA_Target_ScoreBull%281%29.jpg

22forever
Thanks for the link, saw it in my other post and used it to score the card. Did I not score this card correctly?

Keith

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »
Looks like it would score about 1850, had to tell without a plug gauge. That said that is an excellent score for your first time. What rifle/scope/rest/ammo were you using? Here are the flags I just ordered on Friday http://www.brflags.com/flags.html The ones with the round balls.

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:31:29 PM »
Looks like it would score about 1850, had to tell without a plug gauge. That said that is an excellent score for your first time. What rifle/scope/rest/ammo were you using? Here are the flags I just ordered on Friday http://www.brflags.com/flags.html The ones with the round balls.

Bought the rifle (used) complete with the tuner and Jard a couple years ago but just started using it. I sanded down the stipple green paint and had it refinished in midnight blue.
Cooper TRP3
Harrell tuner
Jard 2oz trigger
Mueller 8-32×44
        -Leupold Competition 45x45 is on its way
JJ front rest
        -Just bought the rest here in the classifieds a week ago and since removed the ammo caddy, if that is what it's called. Awesome rest!!!
Protektor rear rest (since this photo I have added a 1/2 steel plate to the bottom of the rest and 1/8 inch silicone sheet to the bottom of the steel plate)

I've tried everything to make this rifle shoot well with SK Rifle Match (trying to keep costs down) but it seems to like Eley Team the best. I have some Eley Edge on order and we will see how well it works. With the scope set at 30 power I can see the last part of the bullet trail and the Eley seems to have a flatter trajectory compared to the SK. I do wonder if the flat nose of the Eley is what makes the difference.

I mentioned the RPS International wind flags because they would be cheaper then bringing them in from Washington State.

The benchrest "slippery slope" is tough to keep under control  ;)

Keith

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »
Very nice! I finally found the web address so you can print your own target. They will come out as 2 pages so I just tape them together, I also use cover stock paper as it is heavier and gives good holes to measure with a plug gauge.
http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/cgntargets/50yrd-Unlimited.pdf
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:45:40 AM by 22forever »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »
Keith, just a bit of advice about your rear Prot bag.  It is way to soft.  You need to pack the crap out of the bottom with heavy sand.  You do not want to see any voids.  In time the leather will stretch and then you are going to have to add a bit more.  Then fill the ears with more sand.  Don't use heavy sand.  Use play or silica or something other than the heavy.  You do not want the ears to hard but the base is to soft.

I should mention hard enough that you do not cause the bottom hard leather to curve so as to cause the bag to rock.  

I just noticed your rear bag does not have hard leather on the bottom.  It would work better as a squeezing bag.  If that is the case that you squeeze the rear bag, you cannot make it as hard as if you were shooting with a SEB or Farley.  You need to be able to make it deflect when you squeeze.

Otherwise nice setup.  

I have a Feinwerkbau I need a 3" fore end adapter for or eventually have it bedded into a BR stock.  Until then I will shoot my redone CZ 452.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:20:27 AM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline FBMAYER

• View Profile
rear bag
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »

Apart from being soft should the bag be turned 180 deg.?

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
Yep

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »
22forever
Thanks for the link for the targets. I found this one on the ARA site and I'll see if it prints to the right bull size on a 11X17 sheet which is the size of the official ARA target.
http://www.americanrimfire.com/media/ARA_Target-2012-1%281%29.pdf
After printing your target I noticed that the bull rings on my target were bigger so the score I thought I shot will be a lot lower unfortunately. Would have been better for me mentally if it was the other way around, going to a larger bull... oh well live and learn.

cyanchycki
Thanks for the tip on the bag. I did glue a 1/2" thick piece of steel flat bar to the bottom of the bag to increase the weight and stop the bottom from bulging. I then glued a 1/8 inch thick sheet of silicone on the bottom of the steel to stop it from sliding. I use to use a sock filled with rice as a rear squeeze bag when I was shooting the CZ 452. Being consistent with the sock which was bent in two to get the height was tough if not impossible.

FBMAYER
Good eyes my friend! Yes the rear bag was backwards, it was my first time setting up and learned pretty quick when I noticed the angle of the bag vs the angle of the stock that I had it backwards.

Any tips on how to check to see if the rear bag is perfectly inline with the front rest would be appreciated. I'm trying to keep off the slippery slope of going to a one piece and prefere to shoot off a two piece.

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it and looking forward to meeting some of you guys if I get to compete at the Mission BR50 match in the near future.
Keith

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 12:55:49 PM »
Keith, when I set up my rifles in my SEB and rear bag I make sure my rear bag is as close to the edge of the bench as possible.  I then put the Superfeet of my rest just off of the front edge of the bench and set the points of my rest in.  The reason for this is Centerfire rules the muzzle is supposed to extend beyond the front edge of the bench.  I move my front bag forward or back so the rifle sits where I want in the rear bag, about the 1/2 to 2/3 of the way back of the butt end.  I then move my rest and feet right or left to get on the target.  I want the target to be in the dead center of the right/left movement of the rest.  When I have that done I square up the front end of my stock with the rest.  In other words looking down from above the front edge of your stock I want it to be square to the flat edge of the rest.  Hope this makes sense?????  I then just twist the rear bag so it looks as close to straight as possible so when the rifle recoils it comes straight back.  That is about all you can do for setup.

Yes, your bag was setup in reverse.

The other thing I do is level my rest not by the level attached to it but by my bag block that is used to keep the shape of my front bag.  Reason is that the gun recoils and tracks according to how level the mating surface of the stock to bag is and not the actual trueness/level of the entire rest.  Make sense?????  I hope so.  Easier to show than explain.  I guess I could shoot a short video and message it to you...... LOL

Your bag with the steel glued would not pass in a FORMAL match.  It may at a club level match.  It would be no different if you added shot into your rear bag with the sand, a NO NO.

If you ever plan on possibly shooting anything formal, NEVER SAY NEVER, put money aside to get another rear bag and a donut for it.  Pretty hard to get a bag to stabilize without one.

Just a few more tips that may help.
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »
cyanchycki
Thanks for taking the time to post your setup, I really appreciate it!! I do catch what you are pitching and will try it next time I'm at the range.

I kind of knew there might be a problem with the steel plate but I was planning on getting a bigger rear rest with the slippery material inside the ears. From what I have read in the Mission rules it should be ok for now.

Keith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk