General > Photo And Video Gallery

My benchrest stock making

<< < (3/4) > >>

bobfortier:
I use the grinder that is on the picture beside the stock. Grit 50 sandpaper, dust collector, and I finish with an orbital sander

bobfortier:
Done !

Next step is learn how to shoot free-recoil. I adjusted the trigger as low as I could, more than that and it shoots when I close the bolt.

RayS:
Looks great Bob.  The build process and pictures sure are helpful.  Now all I have to do is find an action.  My stock is rough cut but following your advice I will inlet it and bed the action before proceeding.
Ray

Fergus:

--- Quote from: bobfortier on August 17, 2012, 04:50:17 PM ---I use the grinder that is on the picture beside the stock. Grit 50 sandpaper, dust collector, and I finish with an orbital sander

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the information. That looks like good work for "free handing" the dimensions.

Do you think the same tools would work for balsa laminate? I want to make a carbon fiber stock along the lines of a Scoville, but need to make up the core to be wrapped. I am not too sure how best to shape the balsa core. I guess I will just need to make one up and give it a try.

Fergus:

--- Quote from: bobfortier on August 18, 2012, 05:52:17 PM ---Done !

Next step is learn how to shoot free-recoil. I adjusted the trigger as low as I could, more than that and it shoots when I close the bolt.

--- End quote ---

Hi Bob

These are just some observations based on what I see in the photos. You may know this already, so take this as general comments that you use or ignore as you feel appropriate.

I notice the rest is a long way back on the forend, although that may be just the table you have it sitting on being too short. Ideally you want to set the forend on the front bag with about 1" over the bag, although the rifle will tell you where it shoots best. A light trigger is a key part of free recoil, so you will need to be very careful with you technique in letting the shot go. I know you have limited funds, but ideally you want a firmer, heavier rear bag. You will really need to watch that rear bag pictured to make sure you do not bump the gun off line with your shoulder, or when you open the bolt. You may find it easier to find the stock with your shoulder if you have an inch or so of the but sitting back past the bags.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version