Author Topic: Powder For 6ppc  (Read 13838 times)

Offline DSIMON

• View Profile
Powder For 6ppc
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »
I've got a new 6ppc rifle and am looking for powder choices.
With my last 6ppc I used VV N133.
Where do you buy your VV N133?
I am in Ontario
Is anyone loading with a more readily available powder and enjoying the results.
Thanks.

Offline John VM

• View Profile
Re: Powder For 6ppc
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
Look for some of the new Canadian made aa2015 powder. I bought a lb and it looks promising. It will say made in Canada right on the side of the bottle.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
Look for some of the new Canadian made aa2015 powder. I bought a lb and it looks promising. It will say made in Canada right on the side of the bottle.

I second what John says.  I shot a few matches with it and was pleased with my results so far.  Unfortunately I do not have any for this upcoming season and am looking hard to find it.  Very few people that I talked to at the Nationals in Phoenix this past year could find it in the US.  I am expecting with the recent rash of what is going on in the US it may be hard to find for a while.

In regards to 133 my first thoughts are Higginson, Hummason and Hirsch Precision.

Welcome back to the PPC Derek.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
To the previous posters, unless VV133 is unavaiable, why would you want to attempt working with another powder?  If VV133 is working for you, why change?

I understand that working with VV133 can be frustrating at times.  And it may be difficult to locate in sufficient quantities at times.  But if you have learned to work with it why mess with a good thing?

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »
For me Lawrence it is just another alternative and a slightly cheaper one at that.  The other thing being that in reality it should be fairly easy to get when the LT-32 finally gets out.  Then there will be another alternative.  Makes ones head spin.

I liked using the 2015 as it throws so much nicer than 133 out of my Harrells.  The lot that I had was very close in weight to what I was shooting my 133.

Not as big an issue in our climates as what they talk about in the Hot dry climates but the big guns say 133 is hard to tune in the high heat and low humidity.  BUT what do I know for sure.  It appears that I can shoot all weekend in Montana, Alberta and Manitoba with the same loads from place to place.

Calvin

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:51 AM »
Nice, do you pre-load?  I used to come to the match pre-loaded and then discover my load was flaking out about midway through the match. This was with VV133 powder at my home range. It is located on a mountain side where the temperature will fluctuate quite a bit during any given day. Those were my early days when I thought I knew what I was doing.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I know I was wrong then and I'm still not sure what I'm doing now.  To all you new guys, don't take my advice, just try to learn from my mistakes.
Lawrence

Offline DSIMON

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome back Calvin.
I've just done a 22lr stint and more than a few times wanted to throw the rifle in the pond.
Sometimes you just have to man up and keep on practicing.
22lr is such a different beast.
I see quite a few shooters also like H322.
I'll probably go with N133 because I know it works,but it never hurts to see what other powders,people are getting good results with.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
Another powder that has been used is Benchmark, it's a little slower burning powder so gives up some velocity.
It will fill the case and meters quite nicely.

Offline Bill Leeper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 02:22:22 PM »
When I built my first PPC, the one thing I really liked about it and subsequent ppc's was it's ability to shoot well with a wide variety of powders. In fact, it was almost too tolerant and it was hard to make a choice. I used and won matches with 322, 4895 (both IMR and Hogdons), 3031, 748, and Re7. Today, I would try Benchmark and 2015 as well. Don't get sucked into a rut. The same thing goes for primers. It sometimes pays not to play follow the leader.    Regards,   Bill

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
 When T powder came out it was a military surplus powder and for some it was not a great powder, but for those that figured it out, it was the powder to beat. This was when everyone was shooting the Scottish 322 and it was the powder to beat.
 The Canadian 2015 meters very well, better than 133, and this was one of the assets of 8208.
 When 322 started falling out of favor, the color changed from grey black to a greenish grey and became temperamental and hot in some conditions. My personal feeling is that they used to coat the powder with graphite which was to make it meter better but it also was a deterrent which took the edge of the temperamental or pressure  spike. 4198 was notorious for shooting well but it was usually a hot load and when things went bad it went bad fast. Benchmark always showed promise when I was shooting it but I gave up on it as it performed ok but never great.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:04:54 PM by John VM »

Offline DSIMON

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »
I've also seen people raving about LT32.
Is this the same product as Canadian 2015?

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »
The story with Lt-32 and 2015 supposedly, if the canister of 2015 is marked made in Canada it is the Lt-32 that falls outside the burn rate parameters for LT-32.  2015 is very nice. If anyone knows where there is a few 8 lb jugs around.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:55:08 AM by cyanchycki »

Offline DSIMON

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:28:31 AM »
If 2015 is made in Canada shouldn,t it be easier to get than an American or other country powder?

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:13 PM »
Made in Canada for a U.S company

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
Derek, just as the PESKY one said....................... LOL

There are quite a few of the Accurate Arms powders that are made in Canada.  Unfortunately if it stays in Canada or gets shipped across the border and back into Canada I do not know.  Go to their website and look around at the different burn rates and it says where it is made.

I know Pesky has good luck and has a good handle on H322 if memory serves me correct.  Something else to try along with BenchMark.  Funny, or not, I have never tried either.  I like to think I have kind of gotten a handle on 133 so am not really to scared.  I did like the 2015 so I am looking forward to more of it and the LT-32.

Calvin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk