Author Topic: Bald Eagle rest.  (Read 12740 times)

Offline tinymike66

• View Profile
Bald Eagle rest.
« on: December 02, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »
Hello all. First post here.
Thanks for Add Rick!

I have opportunity to buy a bald eagle front rest.
I know the windage cable is a pita but is this rest a good start before i commit to purchasing a high end?
If so, is the anyway I can modify the windage control and remove cable replace with something better?

Thanks.

Offline tinymike66

• View Profile
Re: Bald Eagle rest.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
No one ??? ☹☹

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »
Mike,

it is a little quiet because I don't think most of the shooters here have experience with this rest. Is it the one from Grizzly? Can you post a link to it?

The Bald Eagle people will have experience with is the original ones from Bill Gephardt (spelling?) and I don't think he had a cable attachment on his.

Rick

Offline tinymike66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
Fair enough Rick.
Someone on gunnutz has one for really cheap.
Was wondering.

Thanks for reply

Mike.

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »
If it is anything like the original Bald Eagle rests there was nothing wrong with them. What discipline are you using it for?

Offline tinymike66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
I will be using it for F-class shooting.
I just purchased a Banard action, JC barrel and a F-class stock from mcrs tatctical.

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:30:26 PM »
Mike, hopefully someone who shoots f class will chime in here.

Offline Yodave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:36:27 PM »
if you see one in canada then grab it, they will not ship to canada anymore. Grizzley no longer carries them and bullets.com will not ship or bill to a canadian address...

Okay, so the bad.....they are crudely machined, the threads are sloppy and the backlash is horrendous. while loosening the elevation lock you will witness the entire post and top lean to one side or the other, so much so that you have to guess how much to adjust the elevation because when you tighten the lock up the post will right itself and chances are you will now be to high, the threads on the post and the windage adjustment are crude and sloppy, and with the cable, well as you turn the handle first the cable has to take up the slack, then the top will move, a easy fix with a zap strap, at close to the $500 usd price tag they are and never will be a viable option in the shooting world..

the good.....at $169 USD on sale they are $13 better then a caldwell BR 1000 rest, however both entry level rests with lots of user unfriendly quirks

sadly there is no entry level decent front rests on the market, the Joe Cowan rest was the best you could get for under $300 8 years ago, sadly he is no longer making them, and the closer you get to the 1K mark the better off you are with a John lo front rest, true windage movement rather then sinclairs pilot type windage

Offline K Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 04:46:05 PM »
Bill Big Bird Gebhardt

The original ones were very well made but were on the light side.

Bill and his pal JB were always tough competitors.... never give up.

Offline Gary Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »
I have been using one of Bill's original rests from day one. I added a windage top and that's it. Just never could justify the inflated cost of the new rests.

Offline South_Pender

• Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
This is a very late reply to this thread (maybe too late to be of any use), but thought I'd put it out there.

Some of the guys on the Rimfire Central Forum came up with a way to modify the Bald Eagle windage adjustment system by replacing the cable.  It's described in the following thread:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575250&highlight=bald+eagle+rest

As for the disadvantages for this rest noted by Yodave, I might add that I've not noticed them and have been very happy with my Bald Eagle.  I have the cast iron slingshot model.

Offline South_Pender

• Vancouver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 03:29:41 PM »
if you see one in canada then grab it, they will not ship to canada anymore. Grizzley no longer carries them and bullets.com will not ship or bill to a canadian address...

Okay, so the bad.....they are crudely machined, the threads are sloppy and the backlash is horrendous. while loosening the elevation lock you will witness the entire post and top lean to one side or the other, so much so that you have to guess how much to adjust the elevation because when you tighten the lock up the post will right itself and chances are you will now be to high, the threads on the post and the windage adjustment are crude and sloppy, and with the cable, well as you turn the handle first the cable has to take up the slack, then the top will move, a easy fix with a zap strap, at close to the $500 usd price tag they are and never will be a viable option in the shooting world..

the good.....at $169 USD on sale they are $13 better then a caldwell BR 1000 rest, however both entry level rests with lots of user unfriendly quirks

sadly there is no entry level decent front rests on the market, the Joe Cowan rest was the best you could get for under $300 8 years ago, sadly he is no longer making them, and the closer you get to the 1K mark the better off you are with a John lo front rest, true windage movement rather then sinclairs pilot type windage

I ran across a couple of decent-quality entry-level front rests on the Protektor Model website.  They resemble the Bald Eagle slingshot-style rests.  One, at $195 USD, has a non-adjustable top, and the other, at $295, has a windage-adjustable top.  It's shown below:

Both are cast aluminum.  As for access for Canadians, there shouldn't be a problem (as there is with the Bald Eagle rests).  I've ordered bags directly from Protektor Model.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk