Author Topic: GOOD LUCK TEAM CANADA  (Read 8839 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
GOOD LUCK TEAM CANADA
« on: July 10, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
The days are growing closer to the commence fire of the 2019 WBSF Benchrest Worlds at Rosebud.

I would like to wish Canada all the best.

Keep the Gold here in Canada.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline McD

• View Profile
Re: GOOD LUCK TEAM CANADA
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »
Yes all the best for team Canada.....wishing you all shoot lots of small aggs.. 8)

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »
The shooters are showing up, Dave, Lloyd and Andy were practicing today for team Canada.
There were 4 from the US practicing also.
The usual tricky winds were in play most of the day.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 06:04:31 PM »
A pretty decent day for the shooter, with the wind being reduced, temperatures in the mid 20’s.
Wayne Miller arrive for team Canada, Tony Boyer, Bob Scarborough, Mike Conry, Garry Bristoe unloaded there gear this morning.
There were shooters from Australia, New Zealand, Austria, and New Caledonia getting there gear ready today also.
Tony, Vic, Tyler and Lloyd, assisted in getting them in their new surroundings and running the line.
Should see a bunch more shooters arriving tomorrow.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 09:53:10 PM »
Thanks for the report Dan...

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 07:24:12 PM »
Another practice day has been completed, with only 3 more registered shooters to arrive yet.
Most of the early arriving shooters have gotten things working and with 2 more practice days everyone should have time to get themselves sorted out.
Bit cooler today, with some rain early and late in the day.
Team Canada had their team meeting this afternoon and are ready to compete for the medal positions.
Tony and the team have the range looking great and the club is getting great review from the competitors on the range facility.
US team Captain Walt Berger arrived today, and looks great for a man of his age, he was kept busy this morning shaking hand with all the folks that he has friended over the years. A lot of credit must bestowed on Walt as he was the mind behind getting the WBC started. Here we are having the 15 such event at the Rosebud Range.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »
Today’s practice seen a lot of shooters testing the 200 yard range, I heard several shooter comment on the fact that what worked on Sunday was not working today. Temperatures were down a bit, and there was a rain shower at about 4:00.
It appears that everything is ready for the competition, from the club perspective.
Graeme M. Has been the Range Officer for the last couple of days, and the line has been managed without incident, good job Graeme.
We have had a good lunch served the last two days, so no one is starving.
Free coffee and water provided by HW Precision, thanks Hugh.
I seen Walt Berger out with his spotting scope all day keeping his eye on the US team members.
The WBC delegates meeting is being held tonight, be interesting to see if anything new is added to the organization.
With the 2021 WBC being held in South Africa, the delegates will choose where the 2023 will be held.
Stampede breakfast tomorrow morning, so another event to get the shooter together.
I noticed that this event has pulled in a good number of younger shooter from Several countries which is great to see, along with many of the repeat competitors from the regularly attending countries.
This great for me as I get to catch up with so many of the folks I have met over the years, and build some new friendships with many I have not met previously.
Everyone is managing through the many language bearers presented with this diverse group of nationalities.
Last day of practice tomorrow for the competitors, and the spouses have started there busy events schedule, thanks to efforts of Carolyn Pollock.

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 05:19:38 AM »
Thanks Dan, for keeping those of us who would love to have been able to attend, informed.
We are there in spirit and wish Team Canada "Good Shooting".

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »
The last day of practice has concluded in spite of some wet conditions early and late in the day. It was the official gun weigh in day with Scott Stevens and Mark DuMont handling the chores, well done guys.
Target frames and backers are up, flags have been set, so the race begins tomorrow. Opening ceremonies will start at 9:00 am and shooting start by 10:00 am.
The meet and greet happened tonight as part of the social participation of shooters and spouses at the west end Sheridan Hotel (several teams staying there) and it was a good time.
One of the questions MC Bob Richards ask was a show of hands based on age groups, and surprising the 20 year old group had a number of participants. Great to see in a sport known as a gentlemen (older) sport.😉
Walt Berger was asked to say a few works at the event, and as always some sage word were spoken.
The spouses are off to Banff tomorrow on their events schedule, they should have a good time there.
I was able to tour Steve Minckler from Vancouver Island around the facility after the afternoon downpour, it was his first visit to the Rosebud range, hopefully he can make it back to shoot with us.
As has happened each day, the volunteers from the club have been on site assisting in the kitchen, garbage removal and security. Lloyd Gilmore has been on site with Tony Gauthier to handle the night time security, for the last week, it’s a thankless job but thanks for handling it.
Looking forward to tomorrow’s start, good shooting to all.
Remember to check the https://www.albertarifle.com/world-benchrest-championship web site for pictures of the proceedings.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:45:42 AM by rpollock »

Offline McD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 09:14:13 PM »
3rd in LV 100 very nice shooting Lloyd

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 10:17:15 PM »
It sure is Ron.

You have a good start Lloyd.  Keep your foot on the gas.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 06:57:37 AM »
Sorry for the delay lost my post due to poor connection.
The first day was an interesting day, the wind was light and twitchy making for some tough shooting conditions.
Open ceremony got the day started, should be picture out there by now. Commence fire started before 10:00, and the LV100 warm-up match got the shooting started, there was the first 1st screamer shoot in it.
The conditions had several screamers shot and groups over one inch.
We had a several Canadians place well on the first day, hope to see all of them get things going.
Larry Ottman joined Bob, Graeme, Vic and Tyler on the firing holding down the Range Officer duties.
Darrell Skinner has be assisting with the security and transportation duties.
With any match the target crew plays an important part in the success of the event, with 4 relays and bench rotations being part of the match they had to be on their toes, good job by them today.
The target measuring crew was Keith S., Paul Ross and Mark DuMont, only 4 more day to go boys.
Due to unforeseen issues Tony Boyer had to withdraw from the match, Captain Walt Berger stepped in and did extremely well, I believe he was in third place after the third target.
Jeff Graves from the US was the day one winner and who said LT-32 can work.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 08:30:40 PM »
Day 2 HV-100 is completed and the shooters had a real taste of the conditions that Rosebud can throw at you.
Temperatures were down and most needed jackets, the winds were pretty strong throughout the day with the usual switches.
When I talked with Jari Laulumaa before the match started, he said I like the windy conditions just like home, he proceeded to go out and win the day, I believe he had the only teen agg. of the day, well done Jari.
We continue to marvel at Walt Berger, he finished the day with a nice .122” group on the 5th match.
In conversation with a few shooters holding off 2-3 rings were required on some groups, not for the faint of heart for sure.
Everything seem to run smoothly as Match Director Nancy Scarborough had things well in hand.
There was a lot of assistance in moving the target frames and backer to 200 yards, flags have been set, so as the saying goes, 100 for show and 200 for dough.
Conditions are not forecasted to be any better tomorrow so the worlds best will have their hands full with the added yardage.
We continue to see some spectators coming out, Greg Mowatt, Dave Fisher, Henry Remple, Trevor Phaff and many more spent some time at the event.
Follow the standing on other streams.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 07:15:53 PM »
The HV-200 has been completed, it was a very cool day with many shooter finding our supposedly summer weather not to their liking. At least it did not rain to dampen the event.
Things ran smoothly throughout the day, with only a couple of hick-up.
We did see some pretty good shooting with medium intensity and twitchy winds all day, as a shooter you had to pay attention to the flags or get blown out of the group.
Again without belabouring the subject, Walt Berger shot well and is really helping his team in their standings.
The Canadians contingent is coming on strong, looking to medal on our home turf, keep going gang we are rooting for you.

Offline McD

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »
Dan thanks for keeping the updates coming.....sure be nice if they get some medals on home turf.....hoping for the best for the teams and each team member..

Offline McD

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 06:52:28 PM »
Way to go Team Canada 8) lots of great shooting by all the members  a first place in LV grand all 3 teams in top 10 in LV team a 4th in team 2 gun ...nice second place in 2 gun Bill.... :) :)

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 10:35:04 PM »
The two gun portion of the event is done, as you may have seen in the other posts, Team Canada 1 had a very successful day winning the team event in the LV-200 today. Well done gang, love to see a plan come together.
It was a very rainy and cool start to the day, with some light winds in play, if you had the patience to wait for the let’s great groups could be shoot.
Jack Neary shot a nice .110” early in the day with some else shooting a .114” group, this at 200 yard, now that is some kind of shooting.
Target crew had it rough in the conditions but did a stellar job though it.
By the last match the rain had stopped and temperatures started to rise, hoping that the forecast of sun and mid 20 happens for tomorrow.
Tomorrow is the 10 shot group at 200 yard event, this an optional participation shoot, so some competitors will opted out.
For the most part I feel that this event was a success and the organizers and volunteers did a bang up job in there roles, thank you for your time and effort in making this a successful shoot.
2020 will be a qualifying year for the 2021 WBC match in South Africa, so make your plans to to participate in group matches to gain point towards making one of the Canadian teams for this event.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
It is time for the last of my accounts of the event at Rosebud.
The weather conditions were sunny and windy with all the switches you could every want while shooting.
The 200 yard 10 shot event while is optional had less shooters involved then the previous days, but the competition was still very high, Peter Smith from Canada finished 2nd, well done Peter.
The shooting was completed but the work is not over, shooters have to pack up all their gear and guns for the trip home, Tony and many more volunteers have much work to clean up, remove the amenities used during the week plus of hosting the event.
I can not say enough about the effort that the target crew, security, range officers, the kitchen crew and organizers have done to make this event the success it has been, well done all.
Congratulations to all the shooters and teams for attending this event, and making it a World Class Event.
The awards ceremony will be held tonight to cap off the event.
One last thanks to all the folks that came to be spectators at this event, great to see the number of on lookers.

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 07:02:26 AM »
Many thanks to you Dan and others for keeping us (the rest of Canada's shooting community) so well informed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk