Author Topic: My 6ppc witchita failed to fire  (Read 11434 times)

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
My 6ppc witchita failed to fire
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
I am not sure what to think of this I was using fed 205's forming some new brass I got about 4 of them that didn't fire out of 15  :o .
The primers were indented so I loaded up 20 of the remaining primers in my 22 br tried them and no missfires is it possible I don't have enough spring tension I know ppc's are set weak to begin with .
I have never had issues before with this gun and I also had the bullets tight in the lands there should have been no issues with the case jumping ahead.

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My 6ppc witchita failed to fire
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
I am not sure what to think of this I was using fed 205's forming some new brass I got about 4 of them that didn't fire out of 15  :o .
The primers were indented so I loaded up 20 of the remaining primers in my 22 br tried them and no missfires is it possible I don't have enough spring tension I know ppc's are set weak to begin with .
I have never had issues before with this gun and I also had the bullets tight in the lands there should have been no issues with the case jumping ahead.

Seems rather unlikely to be the primers, 4 bad ones out of 15 would be unheard of.

Few things jump to mind:

-Firing pin spring is getting gummed up, remove it to double check it is clean. Also check that the whole assembly is clean and the firing pin is not dragging on any debris inside the bolt.
-Firing pin is damaged, ie tip is deformed, bent or broken off a bit.
-Brass is moving ahead under firing pin contact, even with bullet in the jam. Maybe seat longer or use a longer bullet. Size brass so it is a crush fit to chamber (if possible) for fireforming purposes.

Hope that helps!

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:37:56 PM »
Since you are fire forming, my bet is the shoulder has been set back to far. You cannot set the bullet in the lands hard enough to overcome this problem and and if this is the case you are probably creating another problem. The bullet in the lands on a case with the shoulder set back to far is acting like a cushion and the case is still being pushed until it stops, then the case gets tight to the wall and pushs the case head back which stretches the web thin which is bad news if your gun likes upper pressure loads.

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »
I thought maybe it was pushing the case forward so I took a few of the remaining unfired cases I put a piece of scotch tape on top of the head of the casing and I tried to bolt it the bolt did not close so the headspace doesn't apear to be to much.
I am going to try reloading some of the fired ones and see if I still have issues ,also maybe I should check firing pin protrusion {I am not sure what it should be for this gun though }
and I will do like Rick said and try and clean the bolt and spring assembly.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »
I know of one Wichita in Manitoba.  Ted Gaillard I believe has one or just sold one to a fellow in Sask.  Ted may be able to help out in regards to firing pin protrusion.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »
Ted is the guy who built this gun I think his name is on the side of the barrel.

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
J-C have you had any pierced primers? Sometimes the little disc that gets punched out will enter the bolt and bind on the firing pin. Ask me how I know!

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
Rick I have never had a pierced primer I don't think the spring is strong enough lol .{even if the pin was sticking out .100]
I'm guessing this already happened to you ?
I had this happen in my tikka once , never happened again ,I will go check the protrusion shortly and post it.
                                             cheers J-C

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »
Rick I have never had a pierced primer I don't think the spring is strong enough lol .{even if the pin was sticking out .100]
I'm guessing this already happened to you ?
I had this happen in my tikka once , never happened again ,I will go check the protrusion shortly and post it.
                                             cheers J-C

Glad to hear you haven't pierced one. It can be from a number of factors including weak main springs, oversize or worn firing pin hole, sharp firing pin etc etc.

What load are you using to fireform?

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
I just checked the pin it protrudes .055" I was loading 27.5 gr h322 behind some 65gr v max the gun is fairly new I think the previous owner had it built shortly before he passed away I think his name was Ming. Tony Gauthier found me the gun a few years ago when I lived in Calgary I think it was a new action stock trigger and barrel put together by Ted Gaillard.
The firing pin fits very well in the hole there doesn't seem to be any looseness and I examined the pin through a magnified glass looks new no wear the spring seemed to be fairly dry though so I oiled it up a bit.
Hopefully It will work better .

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:02:37 PM »
Have you ever had this problem on fireformed rounds? Or only when fireforming?

I don't remember Ming's rifles all that well, but I imagine someone here will remember it.

Offline j mckinnie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
I had 7 miss fires over 2 consecutive weekends its an easy fix .I went to CCI BR4's.My gun is a 3 lug BAT and they all got a double tap.I wasnt fire forming and havent had the problem with the CCI primers.
jim

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »
I never had a problem on any round before and it only happened on the fireforming so far.
I loaded up a few formed cases I will try those tomorrow if it doesn't rain to much just to see .I think it might just have been the spring being unlubricated [I hope lol].

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
I never had a problem on any round before and it only happened on the fireforming so far.
I loaded up a few formed cases I will try those tomorrow if it doesn't rain to much just to see .I think it might just have been the spring being unlubricated [I hope lol].

This still points to the fireforming process being the issue. The .055 protrusion sounds in the ballpark.

Do you have to run the 220 russian through the sizer to close the bolt on virgin brass? I know I can't close the bolt on virgin 220 russian all that easily, so I run it through the sizer with just enough bump to get the bolt to close with some friction. This is a bit of a crush fit to the chamber and holds the brass tight during fireforming. I still think the firing pin could be pushing the brass far enough forward that you don't get a firm strike on the primer.

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
You're probably right about it moving ahead I did run the brass through a fl die but just enough so it would close maybe I should try more neck tension on the rest of the remaining cases and some win sr primers I think these are easier to punch than the feds .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk