Author Topic: Best type of filling new Edgewood backrest and base  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Weathermag

• View Profile
Best type of filling new Edgewood backrest and base
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
The rest and base bag arrive last night and I am wondering if there is a special type of sand I should use to fill them with.. (I will be shooting .308 cal iber if that makes a difference)

Thank you.

Joe

Offline DanO

• View Profile
Re: Best type of filling new Edgewood backrest and base
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
Joe,
Typically front and rear sand bag rest are filled with a heavy founder sand.
This is a very fine, heavy material.
As it is not always readily available, good clean playground sand can be made to work.
Bags will not be as heavy, which will make them easier to move during ones shooting.
The positive is that it will make them a whole lot lighter to move around and transport.

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:33:11 AM »
Without presuming to know would be best for your needs, I have found that the finer sand used for sandblasting will usually make the bag heavier than when filled with 'playground' sand. Sand sold for sandblasting is readily available in different grain sizes and is very affordable. Auto supply stores often have some or can tell you where to get some.

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »
Along intuitive lines, I would avoid crushed glass used for sandblasting because of its sharp edges. What would be the problem with rounded grains either from used mineral blasting grit or as from the beach as long as it is clean?

Offline Weathermag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
Thank you; I think a trip to the auto supply store for new sandblasting sand is on my weekend agenda.
Joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk