Author Topic: Registered matches and the RULEBOOK  (Read 4901 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Registered matches and the RULEBOOK
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:20:39 PM »
I am a STRONG ADVOCATE of the rulebook. 

I stand by my position that if clubs are hosting a registered BRSC match that the rule book is FOLLOWED with NO EXCEPTIONS.  If a club wants to have deviations of the rulebook it should be stated in the Pre shoot meeting and not when a incident occurs, or DO NOT REGISTER the match.  That is not what I want to see but I am NOT in control of all clubs.

I have chosen to post this rule from........

Page 19 section 6

(6) BACKERS (Moving). A moving backer strip or card will
be required for 100 yard, 200 yard, and 300 yard matches in all
registered shoots. When the backer strip or card fails to
operate at any range during a match, only the number of shot
holes that can be clearly distinguished on the target will be
counted to determine the number of shots on the target.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Bill Gammon

Re: Registered matches and the RULEBOOK
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Just remember that the doubt goes to the shooter, in all cases. Example if the backer were to fail during a target the shooter gets the doubt as 4 or 5 shots. It is the ranges responsibility to make sure the backer is working.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
I did not want to get into this to hard but it looks like I may have to.  Bill since you replied and have the MOST experience of a travelling shooter is that what happens at shoots you attend?  The benefit ALWAYS given to the shooter?

In this case the backer was moving but it appears not fast enough.  5 shots could not be counted in the target or the backer.  My ruling as a ref interpreting the above rule is that I could not count 5 shots on the record target or backer.  This happened for 2 shooters on different relays until the issue was realized and addressed.  The decision of the ref's was unanimous in the 1" penalty.  At the time we were unaware of any possible issue.

I stand by my decision and my fellow ref's.  I along with the other 2 have received a lot of grief over our decisions but we were consistent in them.  I just wanted to address my point on that matter.  

I guess I could be saying if one does not want to have that decision ever made, NEVER appoint me as a ref.  Again I stand by my and defend my fellow ref's decisions.  The rulebook is interpretation and that is my interpretation.

Calvin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:24:07 PM by cyanchycki »

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »
If this is the fault of a moving backer system and I was penalized 1" on a .150 legit group I sure would think twice on travelling any significant distance and putting up entry fees at that club again. The rules are to penalize cheaters, not to create misery

Bill Gammon

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 06:30:14 AM »
The last time I was at a match and was made head referee we had a ruling. Now remember the head ref is normally the tie breaker and the person who guides the other 2 refs on the rules. The incident was 4 shots on the backer, (well know shooter). You look on the target first, you see 5 possible rings, the backer becomes a mute point. All I could see was 4, the backer showed 4, my instructions to the other 2 refs was, that if any of them saw a possible 5 shots, I would back the shooter, they both said 4 and the penalty was awarded. Another incident of which I was not part of, involved giving a 5" penalty to a shooter, (this cost him the 2 Gun) where the target crew put the wrong target on the target board. Competitor 115 shot the target on target board 115 but the target was 114, he was deemed to have crossfired. Now remember the range officer did the "check your competitor number" routine and technically the shooter should have seen it. But what happens if the mirage is so bad that you can't see the numbers on the target. In this case, had I been the referee I would have just change the competitor number on the target in question, why? the shooter shot on his legal target. again it is the ranges duty to make sure the correct target is in the correct frame. This is what referee are needed for. To act as a go between the rulebook and what really happens. When it was pointed out to the refs at a later time on what I would have done they tried to change the ruling, and I informed them that they can't change their ruling unless something comes later to indicate a malfunction, that was not apparent at the time of the ruling. Will I ever be a referee again?? "A BIG F_______G NO" Going back to the first incident, the shooter in question threatened me on several occasions in front of the Director, who did nothing. 1 of the other refs, a week later, told this shooter that he though there was 5 but I had bullied him into 4, (this particular person has always been a weasel) so it did not bother me. I believe in the NBRSA rules, the regional director picks a referee, the range picks a referee, and the 2 referees pick a 3rd. Now all clubs in this region can not pick a club member as a referee. I believe in what you are saying re the rulebook, but there could be certain circumstances come up that the rulebook has to be set aside, and common sense applied.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 06:48:25 AM »
I appreciate your input John and Bill.  

This was my first time as a ref.  We have to ALL START somewhere.  Again I do not want this to get into a flaming session.  So far it has not.  It is meant to be informative and a learning experience.

You mention shooting the wrong target.  I drove 1200 kms and shot relay 1 when I should have shot relay 2.  I was not sharing a bench with anyone.  I was sure I saw 108 but my mind must have tricked me into seeing it??????  Though being disappointed I accepted the verdict as I again stand by as an ADVOCATE of CONSISTENT RULES.  Will I do that again?  NO F++++++ WAY.

Anyways, we as individuals all have our interpretations of the book and situations that are presented.  I look at the case presented in front of me like a judge.  Case is presented, evidence, deliberate, and verdict.  Done deal.

I wish to keep this post open for more discussion but I think it best to lock it for a while.  I may have thought with my fingers faster than my brain.  If anyone wants to talk about this more PM me or e-mail.

Calvin  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:49:56 AM by cyanchycki »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk