Author Topic: Jewel Trigger Problems  (Read 4696 times)

Lawrence Hanson

Jewel Trigger Problems
« on: November 10, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
About two years ago I had a Jewel trigger installed in my Swindlehurst rifle.    Lately it has been giving me trouble in that after chambering a round the striker will not fall when the trigger is pulled.  When this happens, the trigger feels like the rifle is not cocked.  The trigger flops around loosely as if the rifle is unloaded and uncocked.  When this happens, I lift the bolt handle to cock the rifle, put the bolt handle back down, and the gun will then fire when the trigger is pulled.  During the last shooting event I fired 50 rounds and the trigger failed this way three times.  I am opening and closing the bolt gently and keeping the sear surfaces free of oil and bolt grease.  I flush the trigger regularly with lighter fluid.  Also, the trigger pull is inconsistent.  It has some slack in it that varies from shot-to-shot. The rifle originally had a Hart trigger in it that never gave me any problems. 

I have no idea why this is happening, I am not a gunsmith and am unable to comprehend how this can be happening. The rifle has a shroud that encloses the back of the bolt.  I am tempted to shoot the rifle with the shroud removed so that I can see the position of the striker and better determine what the problem may be. This may be a bad idea from a safety standpoint.  Maybe I should not shoot it at all until I can have a gunsmith inspect it. I am looking for advice regarding this issue.  Please provide your input.  I will be taking the rifle into my gunsmith soon but would like to know if anyone out there has experienced this problem and can explain it to me so that I may explain it to my gunsmith. 

Thanks,

Lawrence

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Jewel Trigger Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
Lawrence,  my thoughts without taking it appart would be it may have a bit of dirt in it  and the sear engagement is being compromised or is it possible that through age/wear it may require a bit more sear engagement.  Just my thoughts.

They are simple to pull appart, clean and inspect.  Just google jewell trigger and you can find a disected picture and have at it.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »
Took your advice and quickly cleaned the trigger this evening.  The trigger is mounted on a hanger so it is easy to remove.  I didn’t take the trigger assembly apart but I removed it and blasted it out with brake cleaner.  Next time I try this I will be wearing a face shield.  Anyway, I put the gun back together and plan to shoot it tomorrow.  We’ll see how it goes.

Thanks Calvin

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »
I fired 50 rounds yesterday and the trigger problems continued at first.  During the first 10 shots the striker failed to drop twice and accuracy was really bad.  After that it seemed like the trigger miraculously fixed itself.  During the next 40 rounds the slack disappeared, the gun went bang every time I pulled the trigger and the accuracy improved noticeably. I have no idea why. 

It was a wild-windy day and I decided to shoot at steel gongs at 300 yards. The conditions were about as bad as they get; it was cold, and the wind was making the pine trees sway back and forth.  The wind flags were maxed out and switching like crazy.  I shot free recoil with my head up paying more attention to the swaying trees than the flags, pulling the trigger when the trees were holding fairly still.  I was fire-forming 22PPC-.100 Short cases in a burned-out barrel and just wanted to get it over with. I had a hard time keeping my shots on an 8 ½ by 11” target while zeroing at 300 yards with the first 10 shots.  After that, things just seemed to come together. I started shooting at the 12” gong and a group formed near the center. I made my way down to the 4” gong and hit it 12 out of 15 shots.  I had the range to myself and it turned out to be a fun day despite the initial trigger problems.

Bill sent some information on adjusting and polishing Jewel triggers (thank you Bill!).  I’ll tune up the trigger and then shoot it again to see if I have the bugs worked out. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk