Author Topic: What's wrong with Teflon ?  (Read 5742 times)

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
What's wrong with Teflon ?
« on: December 01, 2010, 03:59:49 AM »
There has been the occasional statement that using oil with Teflon to lub a bore should be avoided.
I have not been able to turn up any explanation of why this might be so.
Any thoughts you would like to share with me would be appreciated.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: What's wrong with Teflon ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:11:52 AM »
I thought I heard somewhere (don't quote me on this) something about the burning fumes being toxic............. ??? ???

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
i think there is also an issue as to how to apply a layer of teflon and keep it uniform the length of the bore. Once you start shooting I think it would get stripped away pretty quick.

I suppose you could apply teflon to the bullets, just not sure anyone has figured out a way to do that. The various tumbled coatings we have now are pretty easy to apply. Have you tried moly or danzac?

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »
Just a little more on the HAZARDS of Teflon.  Not sure what temp it would get to in a rifle barrel.

The 'Teflon Flu'

There is another more immediate health problem from Teflon, according to the Environmental Working Group. Cooking with Teflon can make a person sick with a temporary flu if a non-stick pan gets overheated.

'It feels like the flu,' said Houlihan, 'headaches, chills, backache, temperature between 100 and 104 degrees.'

DuPont says that fumes are released from the pan when it is overheated, which they say occurs at temperatures that are not reached during normal cooking.

As the Environmental Working Group showed 20/20 in a kitchen demonstration, however, a pan can reach that temperature in just a few minutes.

'At 554 degrees Fahrenheit,' said Houlihan, 'studies show ultrafine particles start coming off the pan. These are tiny little particles that can embed deeply into the lungs.'

The hotter the pan gets, the more chemicals are released. 'At 680, toxic gases can begin to come off of heated Teflon,' Houlihan said.

It turns out, DuPont has known about the 'Teflon flu' for years.

'You get some fumes, yes,' said Chowdhry, 'and you get a flu-like symptom, which is reversible.' Chowdhry said the flu is temporary and lasts at most for a couple of days. She also added that a warning about the flu, while not on the pans themselves, is on the DuPont Web site.

In the demonstration for 20/20, a piece of bacon was just getting crisp when the Teflon pan went beyond the initial warning point of 500 degrees.

'I've never cooked bacon,' said Chowdhry. 'I can't comment.'

The Environmental Working Group has tried without success to get the government to order that warning labels be put on non-stick pans.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »
Thanks for the input folks. My concern is that Birchwood Casey synthetic gun oil with PTFE would somehow be harmfull to the bore, ie fouling that is hard to remove (a la moly) or something like that. Before leaving the range I often stand the gun on the muzzle and spray some of this PTFE oil down the bore from the breach. The idea is to soften the carbon fouling to make it easier to remove when I get home. I always finish a cleaning session at home with a squirt of the PTFE oil down the dry bore but it is not intended as a low friction coating. Just before the next shoot, it is patched thin if not completely out. It's a relief to think that it is only I and not my gun that may be at risk. :)
Gunpowder combustion temperatures are supposed to be in the 5500-6000 Deg F area. Can't imagine much PTFE fumes left after the first shot. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:09:52 PM by Blairguy »

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »
I don't see an issue with you are doing. Any oil or PTFE residue will be gone after the first shot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk