Author Topic: More questions from the newbie!!!  (Read 7037 times)

Offline barcher

• View Profile
More questions from the newbie!!!
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:29:36 PM »
First of all whats the difference between the Stolle Teddy and the Panda?
Secondly, besides sizing the 220 Russian brass which other brass can be made to work in the custom chambers...Norma or Sako? I thought I read one of these would work but one wouldnt.
Sorry if questions are dumb but just trying to learn more! ;D

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: More questions from the newbie!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:35 PM »
Brian the Teddy was just the bigger brother of the Panda.  It was a longer action than the Panda.  In Kelby's broucher from 87 is was marketed as a HV action.  They do not make it anymore.

In regards to brass, the NEW Norma is supposed to be good according to some of the US shooters who are using it.  The one problem I see with it is if you are running a .269 neck the necks are NOT thick enough to turn to make them uniform.  If you turned the necks down to clean them up they would expand quite a lot when fireformed.  My concern would be loss in strength.  On the other hand if you have  a .261 or .262 with the New Norma brass I think you should be able to neck turn in one pass as I can do with 220 Russian and my 269 necka which I turn loaded rounds anywhere from 1.5-3 thou total clearance.  This year I going to try more clearance.  I have run right around 1.5 thou total but have decided to try a bit more.

The only other thing is how will the Norma hold up under the pressures as compared to what we no as the far superior Lapua brass.

Some thoughts from me.

Calvin   
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline barcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:15:29 AM »
How about HALL actions??? Are they decent??

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
Brian I cannot comment on Hall actions.  I am sure that they are just as good as any out there just that they are not the flavor of the day at this time.  Any custom action is capable of winning.  We have to remember that Hart, and Hall actions as well as Kelby's ahve been around a lot longer than the latest and greatest.  They have there share of wins and records as well.

Calvin 

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 06:49:35 AM »
Hall actions were the preferred action of Dwight Scott for years and were highly recommended. Not sure what happened but for a while Hall rimfire actions were the rave and everyone was having a hard time getting a Hall centerfire.

Offline barcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:41:57 AM »
Have the dates been confirmed for the 2011 nationals in Selkirk?

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
Not officially but it HAS TO BE the July Long Weekend.  What I have heard that is when they have TRADITIONALLY hosted it.  The main reason it spreads our shoots out.  If we had it Aug Long we would ahve another shoot in a couple weeks and taht could hurt our local attendance.  Holding it on a Long Wekend people then really only need one extra day off if they want to be there for Friday AM to practice, shoot Sat and Sun. and can start heading back.

I would like to see the same format as this past year at Rosebud.  Meeting Friday at 6 till........................

Sat shoot and then have a supper.

Sunday shoot, awards, and then people can head out or stay the extra night and head out the next morning.

Early in the new year we will have to iron out more details with Murray, Grant, Lyle.

If anyone is thinking of making the trex and needs a hotel room now is the time to book it as it gets full in Selkirk because of the fisherman.

Calvin
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:32:22 AM by cyanchycki »

Offline MBenson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »
Selkirk game and fish will be having their meeting on January 06, 2011 to settle all the shooting dates for the club in 2011 which includes Benchrest. The dates will be on this website soon after. I personally think this will be a banner year for BR in Selkirk. Murray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk