Author Topic: GOOD Range to shoot at.  (Read 8561 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
GOOD Range to shoot at.
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:34:06 PM »
I got tired of trying to practice at our local range in Brandon.  Every time I go to practice there, I find it a futile attempt at trying to find a condition to shoot in.  Regardless which direction the wind comes from, how hard or light it blows, the flags will drive you FREAKING CRAZY.  Berms, trees, no trees, baffles, hole in the berm(stupid idea) more things than one can shake a stick at to muck the wind around and drive one crazy.  If there is a person who figures they can get a handle on it COME ON DOWN you are the next contestant on ATTEMPT TO CONQUER BRANDON WILDLIFE RANGE...... LOL......

Here are some pics of our local range.  The nice facility it is, I am relegating it to pistol shooting only.  Time to work more OT to buy that 1911 in 40 S&W and a Dillon press to feed the pig.  Maybe the guys have something there in all the bugging to start shooting Monday night pistol?????????

Now below are pics of a REAL range to shoot at.  3/4 section of un-bermed or baffled PARADISE.  Let the wind blow cause it is your friend and a LOT more consistent without all those berms and baffles.  I also set it up so I shoot north east........ ;D ;D  

I finally got off of my KEESTER and got things set up.  Started working on putting a roof on it as well.  Have 2 posts in the ground and 2 more to go.  It is going to be 10X12.  That should give me plenty of room when I decide to close it in.  I should also be able to shoot out to 5-600 yards from there as well.  Want to shoot out to 1000, go up on the big hill and shoot across a couple hills to the far side of the 1/4.  No one to bug, harrass or litter the property but me.  Oh yah and I PICK UP AFTER MYSELF.

Enjoy
Calvin

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:48:20 PM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GOOD Range to shoot at.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:03:54 AM »
I am envious!

Offline Seiber

• Just a Happy Puppy!
    • View Profile
    • Regina Fish and Game League
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
Where's ya get the bench from????????

Nice..:)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »
I constructed it myself. 

If the girls don't find me handsome they can sure find me handy....... :D :D

The cement work is not as good as Mr Gordy Wald's but it will do for me.  Nothing that a towel cannot save the skin on my arms.

I have another one to get to the farm but I need about 3 more muscle men to load it into the truck.  Then I just have to weld and attach some legs to it.  It has curved sides and not as rough as the one in the picture.

Bill Gammon

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:33:35 AM »
Sad fact is that all, or most of the ranges in Canada will look like the one in Brandon, So if you don't shoot it, you will not know what to look for, I am in Holton MI now to do the scoring for the IBS Nationals and relax for another week to shoot the Eastern Regionals on Sept 4 5 6 Now do you want closeup pictures of the drive system here and at WWCCA in Oct?? And if you want I will send pictures of the Nationals

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »
Bill please do take closeup pics of the drive systems. It will help put it all in perspective.

I hear you in regards to the ranges in Canada.  I will not say more about baffles and ranges in Canada as to not put them into the radar.  Regardless, as a newcomer in the game trying to understand if a rifle is in tune or not the swirling winds DO NOT MAKE IT EASY.  Maybe if I had a veteran bench rest shooter close by who could help with the learning curve on tuning and wind reading it would help.  In the meantime I have to take the baby steps to figure this stuff out.  So I will do what is easy.  Maybe Brandon would not be so bad if it were pointed North but we shoot east.  The wind has so many buildings and berms to bounce off of.

Calvin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk