BR Discussions > Centerfire Discussions

Beginner questions.

(1/8) > >>

GRiNGo:
Hello, I guess I'll start by giving some background before I ask questions. My name is Chad and I live in northern Saskatchewan. I have been reloading for some years now and drive my hunting rifles to what some say is just picky accuracy, and after trying a little silhouette shooting found my passion lies with the bench. I spend allot of time on gunnutz and have struck out in the first step of benchrest shooting. I purchased a used stock, I believe it is either a Lee six or Kelbley club which I believe are the same company now. I bedded a new Remington action in it with a Lilja LV barrel. The barrel had around 100 rounds down it when I purchased, I believe it was intended to be a 6ppc barrel but is chambered as 6br with a slow twist. It has a polished factory trigger at just over 1lb. (This is soon to be replaced with a Jewel.) For optics it wears a Bausch and Lomb 4000 6-24 with standard weaver bases and rings. I have tried Berger and V-max bullets. I found my best groups with 75gr v-max and 8208xbr. I can consistently achieve .3-.4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 meters but want .1-.2 inch groups. Oh I have Lapua brass and it is chambered for Lapua no turn neck. I also have a Redding bushing 3 die set. And I shoot from sand bags. Our range is a 200 meter range in the bush and I am almost always the only one there, so cease fire only comes when a bear is wandering buy!

So here comes the questions. Obviously I don't have a Bat, Stoll or Panda action but would like to squeeze this gun for all its worth while I learn to shoot BR. I would like to know that the gun is more accurate than I am, and if not then what to upgrade.
1. Big question is how to improve? First I assume is to change the trigger, then...scope? Barrel(6ppc)? Action? Front rest?
2. What's with the square on the target above the bull?
3. Where can I get the heat deflector plastic thing for my barrel and is it legal for BR?

Ultimately my goal is to perhaps someday shoot with you guys and gals and try out for team level events.

Thanks in advance.

Chad

rpollock:
Hi Chad, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are on the right track. This is a slippery slope!

I have a few questions that will help determine where to go next in terms of getting the group size down.

Are you shooting off a firm bench?
Are you using flags?
Are you shooting free recoil?

Lastly where in SK are you?

Rick

John VM:
A remington will work fine for accuracy work as long as their is no flaws in the action that put a bind in the firing system that causes inconsistent ignition and the action is relatively straight in all the key points.
 A 2 oz trigger will definitely improve your ability to be able to shoot "free recoil".
 Try custom bullets made on quality jackets by a knowledgeable bullet maker.
 The heat shield can be as simple as a piece of target paper taped to the barrel or a piece of venetian blind, keep it simple and light as it is used on weigh in. It s only purpose is to deflect mirage from a warm barrel from interfering with your view of the target through the scope.
 The square on the target was sometimes used when the mirage was so heavy that the rings on the target disappear for large amounts of time.As long as you start your group using the square for aiming on these days, you can finish your group when the circles disappear for 2 minutes. This is not a regular thing but I have seen it happen.
 The 6br is a very accurate cartridge and I would suggest trying the 65 or 68 grain bullets. Maybe Dan O or Jefferson can help you with getting some.
 You have to shoot over flags to know which way the wind (breeze) is blowing as it does move bullets no matter how fast they are going. Even strips of surveyors tape will tell you lots.
John

cyanchycki:
Hi Chad.  Where about in Northern SK?  Anywhere close to Ted Gaillard?  If so I say you are in luck.  Close to Ted is James Garchinski who is a new shooter and turning out to be a mighty fine shooter.  Both are good shooters.  Ted has been away from it for a while but showed us he still has what it takes.  He might not say that.  He is just to DAMN FUSSY.

Anyways as Rick said it is a slippery slope and we are looking for more and more people all the time.

As was mentioned,

1)  How sturdy is the bench?  You must pay attention if the seat is part of the bench that you DO NOT move when getting ready to pull the trigger.

2)  You are using just sand bags?  There are a lot of GOOD cost effective rests out there.  So of the top shooters use the basic Sinclair rest with a rear bag that they can squeeze and shoot free recoil.

3)  Trigger will definately make a difference.  If and when you can get one a Jewel would be the way to go.

4)  Wind flags most definately.  Even just surveyors tape tied to a stake at 20, 40, 60, & 80.  Key is to not shoot unless the tape is doing the same thing from shot to shot.  You have no time limit when you are by yourself.  Take that time.  If you want flags there are so many out there and they are even quite easy to make yourself if you are handy.

5)  Using good quality bullets may help as well.

6)  If you can swing it, a trip to the Benchrest 101 school taht Rick will be putting on in May sometime will help a TON.

Keep asking questions.  That is the way to learn.  I am sure we would be more than happy to talk on the phone as well.

Good luck and remember NO question is a stupid question.

Calvin

GRiNGo:
Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm in Meadow Lake so not near Ted. Is there a recomended bullet to try? About free recoil, I have seen some you tube videos of shooters as there is no one else here, do you guys keep your palm entirely off the gun and do you apply any pressure with your shoulder against the butt plate? My understanding is that the biggest thing seperating winners is reading mirrage and wind. First order for me is too make sure I maximize the rifle I have on windless days, then as you guys said put up some flags and learn to shoot wind. I take it as with most things you get what you pay for, is the Caldwell rock BR front rest substandard? The reason i ask is I have access to one of these, but can order somthing better if recommended. Oh just in case you wanted more back ground I am 36 and have 3 boys, 12, 9 and 7. And my wife likes it when I shoot and doesn't care if I buy more "gun crap". ;D Our range is in the bush and has a six solid benches under a shelter on concrete floor. And when i say i shoot alone I mean in my last 30 trips I think there was one hunter there sighting in his rifle. What about powders should I try to find Vihtavuori like 133 or?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version