Author Topic: Varmint for score  (Read 8572 times)

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
Varmint for score
« on: December 30, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
 I'm going to ask the club where I shoot if I can hold a couple of score shoots. Now would it be better for newer shoots if we scored the "X" as 11 points  or as an  "X" . I'm leaning toward the 11 points setup.  Maybe the Eastern guys can speak up on the pros and cons of this setup as I think you have shot this before . Also would you have more than one class. ,  like  Factory and benchrest or ?

Joe

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Varmint for score
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
If memory serves me right scoring the X as an 11 and not an X gives one a chance to claw there way back into a match and place. 

Maybe for a stock rifle Hunter class using a 200 yard score target would be another thought to drum up some interest.

I think it would be the way to go for new shoots and introducing it to the executive.  It appears in this day and age range Executive committees need to be receptive to new ideas.  Holding matches or asking to hold one appears to have to be sold to the Executive.

I think we need more ranges like Regina where there is not a big BR following but the facility is first rate my mind.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »
Hunter Benchrest was started at our club in 2004 after we lost our 500 meter Silhouette range to an inspection. Our score shooting has evolved due to equipment race issues. Initially there was varmint Hunter for small case capacity .222 etc and Hunter which was 70% moose and deer rifles. When a few had true BR rifles built, Open class was created to stop the crying when the Factory guns got puppy stomped by the BR guns. Open class is for guns that don't conform with NBRSA Hunter rules. The first 6ppc was shot in competition in Kenora in August 2008 after we witnessed the Western Canadian Nationals in Selkirk. The 6ppc has totally dominated open class. The 6ppc is the shortcut to shooting a clean target. So we have 3 classes, VH for the gopher guns, Hunter for the factory meat guns, and Open for bring it on, we'll kick your butt with a 6ppc. There is a second 30 BR that might be ready next spring. Scoring is best edge with the X dot used to settle ties between the 6ppc's. Scoring the X dot as a point would make it easier score targets. And as Calvin mentioned, the 100 yard score target is pretty tough for a factory hunting rifle at 100 meters.

Dwayne

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
I copy pasted the rules of the league I shoot in. Attendance is pretty good, about 10 t0 12 shooters a night. Some shooters will shoot a different class on separate nights. An x is an x. Most hunter and varmint consists of the 308 win. Unlimited mostly is 6ppc's, nothing to high tech though. Some guys shoot 20 year old rifles and still do pretty well.

Lethbridge Fish and Game Association Big Bore League
Rules and Regulations
Spring - Summer 2009
Start Dates:  June 7th, Sunday Night Shooters
June 10th, Wednesday Night Shooters
Time:  6:00pm – 9:00pm

Competitors will shoot four (4) weeks at 100 yards and four (4) weeks at 200 yards.

GENERAL:
All Competitors must be a member of the Lethbridge Fish & Game Association.
All shots shall be fired within 10 minutes.
There will be a 5 minute warm-up at the beginning of each new yardage.
Competitors will shoot three (3) targets each week with each target consisting of (6) bulls. One (1) sighter bull and five (5) record bulls. There will be one shot fired into each of the five (5) record bulls on each target. You may shoot as many rounds into the sighter bull on each target as you wish. Competitors will count their best two (2) targets.

HUNTER CLASS:
243 caliber and up.
Factory stamped barrel.
6x scope (maximum).
Rifle weight cannot exceed 10 lbs.
Note: Heavy barrels are not allowed in this class.

HUNTER VARMINT CLASS:
Any caliber.
10x scope (maximum)
Rifle weight cannot exceed 11.5 lbs.

UNLIMITED CLASS:
Any caliber
Unlimited scope magnification
Rifle weight unlimited

If you are unable to attend your regular league night, make-up days can be scheduled for members to shoot their remaining targets.  Also if there is enough member interest an optional set of 300 yard targets could be added, these targets would be separate from the 100 & 200 yard competition scores.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:28:35 PM by Mike Darlow »

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 07:37:34 AM »
I agree Bill. At our club the same guy wins the trophy every year. He shoots the most 10's and the x's really dont matter in the overall points . He's so far ahead of everybody. If the other shooters would get extra points for x's then they might have a chance and it would be more encouraging. You shoot a 9 in your first shot and you know you dont have a chance to catch up.

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:02:49 AM »
I' m with Bill on this one, with the 11 system you always have a fighting chance, with the x system, as soon as you have a 9 you can stop and go home no matter how good the rest of them are.

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
After Bill explained the 11 point system, it makes sense and I am in favor of it.

Dwayne

Offline PJCameron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:20:40 PM »
I was at the meeting that Bill Gammon referred to.
It was about as rough a meeting that I have attended.
To my way of thinking the 11 point system is a truer method of scoring.
It is simple to score and is proving to be the most popular.
It also eliminates the perfect score of 250 that some like to brag on.
When actually a perfect score would have been 250-25X or 275 with the 11 point system.

Pat Cameron

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk