General > Photo And Video Gallery

My benchrest stock making

<< < (4/4)

bobfortier:
Thanks for the advice about the bag, I will keep all of this in mind. The pics were taken on my tablesaw, I will have a better idea when I go to the range.

About the balsa, it will work, but I think a 50 grit will be a bit to violent for balsa

Blairguy:

--- Quote from: Fergus on August 20, 2012, 02:15:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: bobfortier on August 17, 2012, 04:50:17 PM ---I use the grinder that is on the picture beside the stock. Grit 50 sandpaper, dust collector, and I finish with an orbital sander

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the information. That looks like good work for "free handing" the dimensions.

Do you think the same tools would work for balsa laminate? I want to make a carbon fiber stock along the lines of a Scoville, but need to make up the core to be wrapped. I am not too sure how best to shape the balsa core. I guess I will just need to make one up and give it a try.

--- End quote ---

Fergus, Have you considered trying a Surfoam rasp style tool to do the rough shaping of the balsa?

Fergus:

--- Quote from: Blairguy on December 14, 2012, 02:34:44 PM ---
Fergus, Have you considered trying a Surfoam rasp style tool to do the rough shaping of the balsa?

--- End quote ---

Still thinking about the whole approach to building stocks right now. I have plenty of ideas, but haven't really had the time available to make a start. I think I need to just make a start experimenting, and be prepared to toss out a few early failures.

Part of the problem is that I want to make a scoville style stock, so need to get the correct core shape, and also get decent at laying up the carbon fibre. Probably too much thinking and procrastination on my part - I really should just invest some time and get going.

bobfortier:
Quick update. My stock is now part of my rifle "system". Got my hand on another Axis, I installed a Savage 12 heavy barrel in 308 winchester (1:10 twist) and a EGW 20 moa base, same as on the 223 action. I pillar bedded the brown hunting stock.

So next time I go shoot I'll have the choice of stock, caliber, and scope. I think the 308 will be better suited to BR than the 223. I'll devellop loads next season for this caliber.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version