Author Topic: Trauma Kits for range  (Read 8195 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Trauma Kits for range
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »
So I have been talking with my buddy lately in regards to the possible need for a trauma kit.  I have heard of a few close calls with IPSC shooters and there pistols......  Go figure.....

There is a cost to these kits but a lot of items appear to not be required.  It would be cost effective to piece the kits together.  This is where we run into a bit of a discrepency.

We are trying to decide which powder to include in the kit for the possiblility of sealing a sucking chest wound or any major gunshot wound.  We know 133 is fast and clean burning, less chance of infection.  But would it be effective in sealing the wound of a larger man/wound or would it be to fast?

The latest lot of XBR 8208 is pretty dirty burning, more chance of infection.  or would we better off with different burn rates depending on the size of the man/wound? 

I figured one of those palm sized butane torches with a butte knife would cauterize the wound.....

Your input would be appreciated.

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Lawrence Hanson

Re: Trauma Kits for range
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »
The kit must include a bottle of 40 Creek or its no good for anything.

LE Hanson

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »
Cal, none of this slow to medium buring stuff go fast, Bullseye, Clays, Unique are the way to go.
Small volume, big bag.

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:53:33 AM »
Cal

Over on the Archery forum they use the "Two Mules For Sister Sarah" technique, carve a notch for a pinch of FFFF black powder, light it on fire and pound it through. When you wake up, the Match is over.

Dwayne

Offline MBenson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »
Thanks to the Kenora Game and Fish and Dwayne for bringing this topic to light. All ranges should have a good first aid kit on site to deal with any problems that might occur at a match or function. Add to that a few extra things to deal with a gunshot wound, nothing fancy just the basics for stabilizing a person till an ambulance arrives if necessary.
Also what was talked about at the Selkirk Range was training for executive in first aid, great idea for a day in the winter. I for one am all for it as a course in first aid can never be a bad thing. 
Murray

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:07:21 AM »
By far the most important aspect of first aid is to have someone present who is trained in first aid.
A kit is only helpfull if one knows when and how to use it.
In my opinion, first aid courses should be mandatory in high school and essential to parenthood.
There should be no lack of knowledge in the shooting community to deal adequately with emergency first aid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk