Author Topic: MRGC VFS Match: April 21, 2013  (Read 3064 times)

Offline custombullpup

• View Profile
MRGC VFS Match: April 21, 2013
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
Center Fire Benchrest Match 4- April 21, 2013 at Mission Rod and Gun Club:

Weather still played a bit of havoc with lots of rain and twisty winds until we finished the match but the afternoon was beautiful and sunny just to annoy us all. But the match situation really began on the cleanup weekend arranged by Rifle Chair Chris Johb. We had a good turnout of members from all disciplines at MRGC a couple of big machines and lots of hand tool. Of most significance to us was that we were able to make adjustments to all the many berms on this range and it now allows us to see the 100, 200, and three target frames from all 12 concrete benches, which we had been unable to see before. That means we can now handle 24 shooters at all benches with two relays.
We had 11 shooters. Rob Finnigan made the trek from Sunshine coast so we had a chance to see his lovely thumbhole stock rifle. Sam was able to shoot (without the approval of his Doctor or wife Sue but once at the range he had to do it; we hope he did not overdo it!! We want him ship shape for May5th.
Everyone shot their usual rifles except Joe shot My Coyote 6ppc as his rifle was not back yet from Nobby; I picked it up for him yesterday as Nobby whisked by on his usual trek to Kamloops Gun Show. No issues for Wally, Art, Chris or Joe this time at all. Lowell tried one of his match pistols but really struggled with the optics and vision and it will take some work. I finally got a chance to see shoot the 30BR BAT just barrelled by Nobby with a Bartlein and the latest Randy Robinette reamer. My excuse for not winning is was a first firing with totally undeveloped loads. Chris took another break from house building and capped the showm (tied by Joe). In Factory Art shot remarkable targets with his SAK0 Sporter 6ppc. With its skinny varmint barrel and several thousand rounds through his scores are basically indistinguishable from the better full bench rest guns. Of course how well Art shoots and the practice he does sure helps. Paul did not match his best scores in factory from the past nor did Mel but I think these guys are wanting to boost Arts confidence so they can sneak up behind during the championship. The gamesmanship starts now I am told. And we have not had Bob Goehring for a while and we know he can shoot. Then of course Campbell river is sending 6 and these guys and gals and our American entries are well known for some super shooters. In preparation for the May 5th Fraser Valley Championship we shot our first two targets at 200, and finished with three at 100 so everyone’s rifles would be set for 100 where the morning targets will be shot.

At this point we have 22 entries for May 5th Championship. We can take 24 so if you have a last minute chance to join us, go to the MRGC website and you will see the registration form as you open the page. Complete and send it to me Immediately. First two to join will be taken. We are providing best score  awards first through 3rd in each of 100 and 200 and aggregate for each of Benchrest and Factory (18 total) We have many fine prizes donated already by several very generous suppliers; no one who enters will go home empty handed. These will be awarded by draw.
We welcome newcomers to our Monthly Matches and for more information please contact me, Jim Latham, at lathamconsult@telus.net or phone me at 604-795-0618. Please feel free to pass this summary on to anyone you think may be interested. Next Club Match will be on Sunday June 2. Registration  8:30 AM. Match at 9:00-11:30, $5 fee.
200 Yard Match: April 21, 2013

Jim Latham         br   30BR   48   45   48   48   51   240   4-br
Lowell Boyd         pis   6ppc?   0   0   6   3   0   9   unc
Paul Koivukoski   fac   6BR   38   46   44   43   47   218   3-fac
Wally McDonald   br   6ppc   48   44   44   51   47   236   6-fac
Frank Oblak         br   6BR   49   51   51   48   49   248   2-br
Chris Klump         br   6ppc   50   51   48   50   50   249   1-tie br
Art Harder           fac   6ppc   47   45   50   49   50   244   1-fac
Joe Mendham        br   6ppc   47   47   51   50   54   249   1-tie br
Rob Finnegan        br   6ppc   46   44   53   48   47   238   5 br
Mel McIntosh        fac   22-250   39   42   44   49   48   222   2-fac
Sam Parrotta        br   6ppc   50   dns   50   51   52   203   7-br
For those of you wondering about the scores over 50 per target, we score the pencil dot center as an 11 rather than counting as X rings so a 55 would be a perfect target and 275 would be a perfect 5 target Match.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk