BR Discussions > Rimfire Discussions

One piece rests

(1/5) > >>

22forever:
How many here are using a one piece rest for their benchrest shooting? Make? Pros/cons?

Bertde:
No-one in New Brunswick - they are not allowed in matches so why practice with them?

22forever:
What rules do you use governing equipment? Here in Mission we shoot the the ARA target, ARA rules, worst edge scoring. One piece rests are allowed, from the ARA rules - "9.2.0 Rests

9.2.1 Any rest may be used to shoot from the bench, so long as any such rest prevents

The barreled action from being affixed to the bench in an immovable manner."
Original post was just a question to see what others use  ;D

KeithZ:
I use a JJ front rest and a Protektor rear bag. From just looking at the dynamics of using a one piece I thought they would definitely have the advantage, less things to move etc. From what I have been reading on the forums it seems that there are people out there that believe that the front rest + rear bag system is better then the one piece. Would love to know the thoughts behind this.

22Forever
With your one piece, does the front rest move with the rear when you adjust horizontally or does it torque it? I know that I can hear the stock squeak in the rear bag when I adjust horizontally which would indicate torquing I believe. Read of folks looking at putting a lazy Suzan type device under a rear bag so it would rotate with horizontal adjustment. The centerfire guys don't move around their target as much as we do so they might not notice it as much.

Keith

Bertde:
In BR matches in New Brunswick the rules are Club rules and are based on (I think) 2 factors. One is that many .22 shooters are local people and club members that come out to have a fun shoot and so we shoot BR - Open class for the more competitive minded with pretty good equipment. The other class is a "Sporter class" in which anyone can shoot pretty well anything as long as it is a factory rifle with a "hunting barrel". This is to encourage participation as well.
The other factor is that quite a few .22 shooters also shoot Centerfire BR (for score) and the rules for that discipline are 2 bags separated with the fore-end not fixed in the front rest.
So many of us use our Caldwell or Sinclair Front rest and a rear bag for both disciplines.
Here's a link to our Blog which gives the rules http://www.newbrunswick-benchrest.blogspot.ca/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version