Author Topic: Benchrest + related supplies in Canada?  (Read 20275 times)

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
Benchrest + related supplies in Canada?
« on: March 09, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
Hi all,

Are there any shops in Canada that regularly stock supplies for benchrest?  Rather than order from the US, I'd rather support Canadian shops.  I know Robertson Composites has stocks, as well as Stiller and Barnard actions, and that Alberta Tactical Rifle will import Nesika and BAT actions.  There are several benchrest-quality barrel makers, and that's great, but who and what else?  A few examples would be rests, bags, bullets, reloading tools et cetera. 

Thanks,

-- Stephen

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Benchrest + related supplies in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
Stephen, unfortunately, basically what you listed is about it that is readily available in Canada.

Robertson for there stocks and Stiller and Barnard actions.  They do not always ahve Stiller actions either.

Rests and bags, to get the good stuff like SEB, Farley, Edgewood bags etc there is nobody up here.  Most of us order directly from the certain manufacturer or known US based business.  It is a specialized sport and the Canadian shooting crowd is a different bunch as far as I am concerned.  Reloading tools for the benchrest game if you want 6PPC dies it is a custom order at your local shop.  I use Gunstop reloading in Minnetonka Minnesota for almost all my BR related itmes.  John is an awesome man to deal with.  He is prompt and ships the CHEAPEST way possible.

Barrels we have our Canadian makers but Adam Lake rifle barrels handles Krieger.  Mystic Precision brings stuff in as well.

Again I will be straight forward if you have to have them order the product from the US and mark it up so they can put food on the table you pay them or order it yourself and take the money you save and put it into barrels and bullets.

Getting to bullets we have OPEL bullets in Drayton Valley.  He makes match grade 22 and 6mm bullets.  I hope he will be at it for a while.  He is a VERY BUSY man now with his business/businesses.  Occasionally some of the shooters bring in large quantities of Bart's bullets and sell them.

That is about what I can tell you.  Wish it was cut and dry but it is not really

Calvin

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
I was just informed by my little buddy and I forgot about the Hayes front rest made out of Ontario.

Bill Gammon

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »
I just had dinner with Gary Hayes and he has 2 rests right now that are finished, $500.00 US no dickering.
Bill

Bill Gammon

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »
Sorry
That ad should be in the For Sale section, Dam I got banned for life from another web site for "EXACTLY THE SAME THING" 

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
I would think you are okay with this crowd..........

Hate to see your AGE & TRECHERY not with us here.....

Calvin

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
Lapua brass and N series powders (soon) from Peter Dobson (Hirsch Precision) http://www.hirschprecision.com/
8208 Powder from Higginsons and Raynor
Rest, bags, tools, pretty much out of the USA, Sinclairs, and Russ Haydon.
Barrels, Gaillard, Maclennan in Canada

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated.  I do recall a Quebecois gunsmith/manufacturer who makes his own actions, but I do not remember his name or his company.  The only other Canadian action maker of note that I know of is PGW, which isn't really benchrest.

-- Stephen

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:14 PM »
Steve are you thinking Gaulin????

There have been many individuals who have made some pretty nice actions for themselves here in Canada.

There was the Swindlehurst, he sold his.  I hear George Carter made a few at one time, Rick Pollock has one of the first PGW single shot actions,Randy Johansen has built for himself, Lowell Boyd from BC made one for himself.  These are a few that I know of.......

It would be nice to get pictures of some of these actions and the stories behind there creations.......  OOOOPPSSSS getting off track here a bit.

Calvin

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »
There are a bunch of Mc Lennan actions out there also. Bob Strawhorn I think was his name, over in London, built one or more actions.

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:41:47 PM »
Gaulin Actions - http://www.armtechcanada.com/1.html I don't know much about them, but I would like to know more. I believe they are members on the board here. Maybe they will chime in.

Maclennan Actions  - I had a great one I sold to Dave Kriegar in Ont. If you are reading this Dave, I want to buy it back!

There are probably dozens of un-used BR rifles across Canada. If you are looking for one, why not put a Want to Buy advert under the rifles section of this board?

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
Bill, Calvin, John, Rick: thanks for the tips about Canadian suppliers and manufacturers.  I can create a post listing those that can be a sticky for future reference, if that's cool.

Rick, I'd love to pick up a BR gun right now, but unfortunately my job evaporated in January, and I'm working as a contractor.  Until I get something steady, I can't risk any major purchases.  My whole reason for this exercise was to be able who has what in Canada, and then be able to price out the equipment and figure out a budget.  My plan was to start shooting this spring, but that's not going to happen, maybe the summer.

-- Stephen

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 06:48:55 AM »
Bill, Calvin, John, Rick: thanks for the tips about Canadian suppliers and manufacturers.  I can create a post listing those that can be a sticky for future reference, if that's cool.

Rick, I'd love to pick up a BR gun right now, but unfortunately my job evaporated in January, and I'm working as a contractor.  Until I get something steady, I can't risk any major purchases.  My whole reason for this exercise was to be able who has what in Canada, and then be able to price out the equipment and figure out a budget.  My plan was to start shooting this spring, but that's not going to happen, maybe the summer.

-- Stephen

Stephen, if you wat to collect the contact information for Canadian vendors and suppliers that would be great. I will sticky it.

Even if you can't swing a BR rig by Spring, don't miss out, take in a match or 2 if you have a varmint rifle, or drop in and volunteer, or even drop in for a look, great way to meet everyone. You never know what kind of deals you can uncover just by asking around.

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:45:54 PM »
Rick, I'm putting together something and I'll post it once I'm done. 

I'll be attending the first matches here in Ontario, when those start in June.  I like your suggestion about volunteering, I may just do that.

Jefferson, do you have a website or contact info?  I can't afford anything now, but I'll add you to the list of manufacturers and suppliers that I'm doing.

-- Stephen

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »

Hey Jeffy, how you keep the better looking one from B+++H slapping you for that comment.......
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:47:03 AM by rpollock »

Offline Gary Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 11:03:06 PM »
Jeff do you have pictures of the 2 front rests that you have and prices?
Gary

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 10:47:31 PM »
  "3 rail guns (had 6 dont ask why as I dont even know)"
Yep and he sold me one of them at a hell of a deal. It has one of the best barrels I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. Jeff has good sh** and insists on making nothing on it!
I think the new Farley rest is a good one to look at. I have the previous model and am very happy with it, sure makes score shooting fun. Jeff are you going to come down to Rosebud for the one day score match? June 12, registration at 8 match at 9 100 & 200 H.V. I know it is a long drive for a one day match.

Offline suitty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 05:43:51 AM »
rick i still have rob's steel action. still got the 22 short waldog barrell for it. i was lucky enough to pickup a second action of robs in alumium  it works well also and right now i am keeping both of them  . i ve  been shooting bill mitchell bullets for a year now and we have a top noch bullet maker now. this is a great forum keep up the good work suitty.

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »
At the Calgary gun show there was a guy from Brandon, Manitoba - Hi-Pro Precision Gunsmithing (hiproprecision.com) that builds BR guns and sells actions, bbls, Jewell triggers, stocks and other BR stuff.  He had a couple of BAT actions at the show and a bunch of Bartlein & Lilja bbls and a couple of Jewell triggers.  He also had a SEB rest there for sale. 

Another source in Canada

CHeers
Greg

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »
Found another source for Weaver and Sightron 36x scopes.  Other target type scopes as well.  Mystic Precision in BC.  http://www.mysticprecision.com/

Greg 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk