Author Topic: New guy saying Hello.  (Read 6867 times)

Offline TheGrandEnigma

• View Profile
New guy saying Hello.
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »
Hi all,

I'm Matt, and I'm new to shooting and completely inexperienced and unlearned in BR.  I figured this would be a good place to start (the BR part, I got other sources on shooting so I won't bother you with "What would be a good hunting rifle to get"-like questions ;) ).  I was happy to find a BR forum that was Canadian based.  I'm in Saskatoon right now (hopefully to stay too :) ).

It took me a while to log in because I kept waiting for a confirmation email that my membership request was accepted, but one never came.  Ah well, I'm here now.

I'm a little apprehensive about being here, because everything I've seen and heard about BR tells me it's a hard sport to break into.  Very close-knit group and very technical jargon filled talk, but I'll get it eventually.  :)

Glad to be here.

PS - I chose this handle before I read the requirements for a name-based one.  I put my name in my signature, I hope that's ok.  I don't want to change my handle.  :(
See you around the Forum,

Matt M

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
Re: New guy saying Hello.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »
 Welcome Matt   Since you're in Saskatoon you're closest to the Regina Club and the club in Selkirk Mb.  Check out the schedules and maybe drop in to see whats happening at these clubs and ask questions , maybe someone will let you use their rifle while you're there. This is a good forum and most times you can get good answers to your questions , so ask away.

Joe

Offline TheGrandEnigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »
Well since you asked:  Is it possible to be competitive at all without a fully custom rifle?  ie. dress a factory rifle up to the nines to compete with?

I'll have to check out the Regina club - thanks.
See you around the Forum,

Matt M

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
Welcome Matt.

Just to clarify a few things BR is only as difficult as you want to make when you want to jump in.

It appears to be a tight knit group only for one reason, we are the minority group when it comes to shooting in Canadian Shooting Sports.  What I see in Canada is a shooting community based on lots of action.  IPSC, tactical run and gun, oh yah and finally everyone wants a rifle to shoot out to 1000 yards.  Many that want that are lucky if they can shoot out to 100 LEGALLY.  I am fortunate I can shoot out to 1000 on the family farm and I have my own private range for myself and a friend or 2 but it is NOT my PASSION.  Short range is my PASSION.  In time many of these shooters who run and gun may not be able to do it for health reasons.  In benchrest as long as you have ONE GOOD eye and can make it to and from the bench you can still shoot.     

I will tell you straight up that the majority of gun owners in Manitoba feel a gun is for one reason, hunting for food.  When I go back home to small town Manitoba and people see my rifle they say how you shoot that thing?  Then you try to example everything and they look at you with that glazed face.  Then you try to explain reloading and neck turning.............  another story for another time.

Anyways welcome aboard.  Stick around, ask questions, attend a match if you can get away though we have to travel some distance and you never know you may find the odd deal on a GREAT used rifle.

Take care,
Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
Well since you asked:  Is it possible to be competitive at all without a fully custom rifle?  ie. dress a factory rifle up to the nines to compete with?

I'll have to check out the Regina club - thanks.

Welcome Matt!  Pretty much everyone starts where you are, by dressing up a factory rifle. It provides the entry point.

Some of the clubs do offer factory classes or semi custom classes where everyone is on the same footing.

You can always rebarrel and restock a factory rifle which will get you a competitive platform.

Lastly, most will reccomend a used br rifle to get going. A simple rebarrel and you will be up and running. This avenue costs a lot less than building from scratch and is the fastest way to get into a competitive rifle.

Keep the questions coming!

Rick

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
I've seen re-barreled Rem 700's and some others that are indeed competitive at the club level.
They will take home the trophys from time to time. Lots of clubs will run a factory class or custom class shoot to accommodate shooters that don't have a full blown bench rig. At least we used to do this quite a bit here in ONT.
 Welcome aboard!   RAndy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk