Author Topic: High pressure signs  (Read 4494 times)

Offline JDoucette

• View Profile
High pressure signs
« on: April 18, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »
Hello all. First post, so here we go.
Just purchased new to me, an older stolle panda action, left port, left eject BR rifle. Starting to work up some loads, and I am a little nervous about the difference in the max load ratings specified in the reloading manuals, compared to what I have read that is being used in competition. I understand that the benchrest gun is a different beast , and capable of higher pressures.
I want to get the most accuracy that I can get, but also want to know it will be safe to shoot.
What are the tell tale signs of high pressure, when working up the loads for a newbie?
Any help would be greatly and appreciated.

Offline phil

• View Profile
Re: High pressure signs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 08:40:48 PM »
Start with a new piece of brass, say three fire forming shots on it. Increase the load by 1/2 gr. at a time.
If the primer pocket gets loose, back off. Also stiff bolt lift is not good thing, back off.
What powder and load are you running now ? Good bench guns tend to run hotter than book loads.
Nothing wrong with being cautious, it's a great safety feature.

Offline JDoucette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 05:07:02 AM »
Thanks Phil. I guess I forgot to mention the important stuff. It is a 6mm PPC, Brass formed from Lapau, 205M primer, necked for .262 chamber, OCL 1.490"
Running N133 with 67 gr bullets, starting at touch and decreasing in length by .003" increments to -.012". Have read that with this powder  start at 28gr and work up to 29.3.

Offline phil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:21:46 AM »
I start at jam length and work my way back.
Usually end up back at jam length for consistency.
Go figure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk