Author Topic: Favourite BR Alibis  (Read 6886 times)

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Favourite BR Alibis
« on: March 29, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »
I'll start...

A gravitational surge pulled the shot low...

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
Re: Favourite BR Alibis
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
I'll do Calvins. I was attacked (or bitten) by a wasp and the venum effected my lip to the point I was bumping my gun with it.
Seriously though I have had a gravitational void effect my bullet flight at Rosebud on bench 14 200 yards and a north east wind!It had to be a lack of gravity because it hit an  inch higher than the rest of them.
Also my scope must be ****ed.
Actually the best I heard was from a fellow who will remain unnamed (came from Saskatchewan and is now a welder in Alberta) who said he shot poorly at the Nationals one year because he ate breakfast!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:49:54 PM by Tony Gauthier »

Offline Gary Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:43:49 AM »
I had 4 in a bug hole than i doubled with the guy next to me. It didn't hurt him but my shot went south 2 rings.

Offline Bill Leeper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
I have never used alibis since my ineptitude is it's own alibi. I have seen shooters who have made poor shots and who had legitimate alibis; sometimes without even knowing it.
I witnessed one such occurence whic I have recounted before but will repeat just in case somebody missed it.
It was probably in about 1979 or'80 and I was shooting at a match at Clearwater BC. I was set up next to Harland Govett. I always liked shooting next to Harlan since I found his patter entertaining. In addition, Harland had a tendency to mess up on occasion, adding t the entertainment.
On this particular day, I had fired my five shots fairly quickly; producing one of my trademark groups which make the moving backer superfluous. Having nothing else to do, I watched as Harland fired his second shot right through the first hole. He looked pleased as he chambered shot number three and sent it downrange. Again, it went right through the original hole. However, at virtually the same time as the shot hit the target, a ladybug landed nearly an inch out at roughly 2 o'clock. Both Harland and I were fooled and believed that to be his third shot. Disgusted, Harland did a creditable job of putting the last two shots between the two holes then got up from the bench. I was still looking at the target when the bug flew away! I still remember Harland's comment when he saw the target, " Hell, that's not as bad as I thought!"
Another classic was fired by John Elliot at the same range. This day was wet. The rain varied between a standard deluge and a " Get to the Ark, and hurry" downpour. I, for one have always wondered what effect raindrops had on a bullet; primarily to ascertain their alibi value. While I still have not been able to quantify the effect of raindrops, I can tell you that rain can, under the right circumstances, have an effect. In this instance, John had a reasonable group going with his 6mm International when, just as he was bearing down for his fifth shot, a stream of water came off the roof and right in front of John's muzzle (or, I should say, his rifle's muzzle. John's was well back.) At the shot there was a cloud of spray and that shot hit a good inch and a half out.
I don't remember who it was who fired a 222 mag through his 6x47. Under normal circumstances, the shot would have missed everything and  he might have thought he put one through another hole. Unfortunately for him, his 22 bullet went through the target, sideways, about 2 inches to the right.
Another shooter, I think it was Andy Gilfillan, had chosen faulty brass as his alibi for the day. On this day, Andy was shooting more than his share of flyers and with each flyer, he tossed the offending piece of brass over his shoulder. It wasn't long before he was running low on brass and had to reclaim some.
So, there are legitimate alibis and time tested alibis ( the "double" is an old favourite). Alibis are necessary and so much better than having to say, "I am just stupid!" Regards,    Bill

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:03:58 AM »
I would like to comment on this one but I know I do not have enough experience to have seen one. 

I guess that is what my problems are.....  When will I ever gain that experience so I will stop saying it is "MY LACK OF EXPERIENCE"

To much internet reading on BR and tuning.  DA cra+, horizontal tune, vertical tune, tune for this cross wind or that croass wind........

Oh boy.............................

Maybe throw a Uppy Downy flag into to screw with your mind even more.......................... ??? ??? ???
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »
I would like to comment on this one but I know I do not have enough experience to have seen one.  

I guess that is what my problems are.....  When will I ever gain that experience so I will stop saying it is "MY LACK OF EXPERIENCE"

To much internet reading on BR and tuning.  DA cra+, horizontal tune, vertical tune, tune for this cross wind or that croass wind........

Oh boy.............................

Maybe throw a Uppy Downy flag into to screw with your mind even more.......................... ??? ??? ???

I think we all like to talk about the minutia of the game, and endless tuning etc, but the truth of the matter is the rifle gets you on the playing field, the rest is up to you. In short, don't get too hung up on the rifle. The best shooters pour thousands of rounds downrange every year. They know what the wind is going to do before the shot, and don't get surprised that often. Me? I get surprised a lot!. As far as I know there are no shortcuts to the top. To that end, I will try and get out this weekend!

One more alibi - The Bullet From Hell....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:26:39 AM by rpollock »

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
I saw the rain thing as well Bill. Paul Ross touched one off at just the right (or for him wrong) time. He happened to have just gotten a sleeved 700 all done up just in time for the match. Well the bullet was quite a ways out of the group and the Gun was on the consignment rack at Russells on Monday. I saw the water spray and told him that it wasn't the gun, but it didn't matter. He had a Bat action before the 700 was even sold and spent the next few years kicking everyones butt! That was one of the first Bats at Rosebud and it was the main attraction at a match!
That is the interesting part of our sport. It is surprising how many things can go wrong while you are trying to put 5 shots in the same hole. We seem to remember the bad shot's as much as we remember the good shots.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
This does not fall into alibis, but is similar to Bill's story.
At a match in Tacoma at 200 yards, it is match one of the morning, and I am at a favorable
bench on the left side. The line is called to commence fire and I do my usual couple of fouling shots
on the sighter.
Adjust the rig for the record and low and behold there is a shot on my record group.
I politely ask the shooter to my right if he would check and see that he was on his target.
He checks and confirms that he is on his target, so I call the range officer over and ask him
to remind everyone in the area to check there targets.
Okay, now it is time to shoot my group, I get all lined up again and DAMN I watched the first bullet hole got
a little bit bigger. Now as I have never had the pleasure of cross firing or being cross fired on I am starting
to get a little peeved. So again I ask the range officer to call for a target check, all reports come back as good.
Alright, now it is time to start shooting my group as time is now in the bottom half of the allowable limit.
Reset the gun look through the scope take aim and the damn bullet hole flew away.
Well that took care of the crossfire concern, now how do I handle the embarrassment factor that I will have
heaped not me in the next couple of minutes. We all had a good chuckle at the event.
In hind sight I was able to determine the fly shifted it's position which lead me to think another shot had hit the target.
The funny part of it is that the fly landed in almost the same spot as my point of impact.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk