Author Topic: New here, looking for barrel advice  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Charlee

• View Profile
New here, looking for barrel advice
« on: January 25, 2020, 04:31:51 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding a barrel for the soon to be released zermatt (big horn) rim-x action.

The action will be in my position end of March +/- 2020

I will be and have been participating in crps/orps matches(practical rifle)

My intention with this build is to achieve the level of accuracy required for benchrest shooting in a more practical scenario. (Ie prone,from obstacles or baricades)

Pre fit shouldered barrels will be avaliable shortly, but I would like to explore all my options.

So my question is, what direction would the members here from the benchrest community head with this build? Ie, barrel length, #of grooves, button/cut, reamer, finished diameter (contour)  Keep in mind that stages are timed, feeding and extraction are of importance plus general reliability.

Distance shot will be from 50-400 yards

Offline Dennis Sorensen

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
After 53 years I am fully retired, unlicensed and have sold all my gunsmithing tools and lathe...
Thanks to all my customers...

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: New here, looking for barrel advice
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 05:34:43 PM »
I am by no means a expert. 

First off you mention practical matches.  The accuracy part wanted or needed is that of a true rimfire BR rifle?  I am assuming you are talking a rifle that is more conventional than BR?  Meaning conventional stock versus 3" wide.  This would be a repeater and not a single shot?

What rules regarding the rifle configuration? 

Anyways, the best way to look at barrel length is, you have to use a smith who understands rimfire builds.  Length for a BR rifle is based on the slugging of the barrel to cut it at the tightest point.  It is also nice to get a good balance point when achieving this.  Rimfire chambering is another animal.  There is some lapping involved to do the perfect rimfire chamber.  I know I may get flamed for this but you are best to talk to a top smith States side.  I know if I were doing a build it would be across the line and imported in. 

Barrel, as Dennis said many good ones but my choice would be a Shilen Ratchet.

About all I can say on this.

Calvin

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:35:04 PM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline smink

• View Profile
Re: New here, looking for barrel advice
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »
I had a BR build done last year , custom Turbo action , benchmark barrel .920 " straight, finished at 25 inch , BR stock , Harrells tuner  jewell BR trigger . i shoot 50 yrd and 100 yrd , i am very happy with it . it took a bit to learn how the tuner works , thanks to Calvin and others for helping me with good advise on how to tune the rifle , and how to test ammo . i am no expert , i did lots of research on line , check out Killough shooting supply ( Texas ) good info there as to what equipment BR shooters use , some tech articles as well .all the barrels Dennis said are good barrels , i choose Benchmark because it was in stock from Big horn sales in BC  . Ammo is the most important thing with .22 rimfire , i learned that real quick , to get the best out of the gun you should lot test ammo , and use the best that you can afford . not sure if you will use a tuner , i know others that dont and have had excellent results as well , mostly Anschutz barrels .   my 2 cents . Steve .       

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk