Author Topic: HV LV Group match in Lethbridge, Alberta in may 2011.  (Read 16330 times)

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
HV LV Group match in Lethbridge, Alberta in may 2011.
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »
Plans are in the works for holding a match in Lethbridge for May 2011. We will be building backers this winter. May is usually very windy so it should be fun.

We need some dimensions for target sizes. The size of the mirage lines. and the minimum and maximum space between targets.

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:29:32 PM by Mike Darlow »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: HV LV Group match in Lethbridge, Alberta in may 2011.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »
Mike I can tell you at Selkirk we have 15 benches.  We use 3 target frames that are 10 feet long.  5 benches per target frame.  So it will depend on how many benches you have and how you want to split the frames to make them manageable. 

I would then paint the plywood all white.  Next lay your targets out centering them on the length of target frame you choose to make.  Mark the target locations.  Paint black stripes 1.5" wide for the entire height of the target.  Use Vinyl siding J channel or soffit J channel screwed in the target locations for holding the targets.

Just my take on this.  I am not sure if there is an official spacing for the targets?????

Calvin

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline James G.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
Mike, when in May are you thinking? Sure would like to come but seeding is going to get in the way for me. Would you possibly holding another match later?
James

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »
Mike here is one of the pictures that Magnum Peanut took looking down to 200 yards at Selkirk of our target frames.

calvin

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »
Yes I would like to hold another match later in the year. We will see if we can because there are other bookings for the range during the summer. I also don't want to have conflicting weekends with the other BR matches in the BRSC. We are going to officially reserve the range in the next few weeks.

Thanks Calvin for the tips. We have 12 benches but we also have baffles that will require some ingenuity for target placement. Baffles aren't built on the pics

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:31:28 PM »
Mike are you talking the overhead baffles??????

I would probably go with 3 frames 4 targets per frame.  You would be able to fit them on half a sheet of plywood.  Space the 3 frames 8-10 feet appart and that should make it quite fair for the 12 benches.

I should have mentioned that the reason for the 1.5" stripes is the mirage boards end up not looking to busy with all the narrow striping.  My mirage board at the farm on my range ends up having 5 black and 5 white stripes which is plenty to show mirage.  I feel it also makes it easier to read the amplitude of the heat waves.

Depending when you hold the shoot, HOPEFULLY on the May Long, pretty sure I will do my BEST to make it there.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:01:10 PM »
Mike,

Keep us posted on possible dates, I will make every effort to attend
all your matches.
Is there anything I can do to aid you in this venture?

DanO

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:08:52 PM »
Great news! Let me know when you need some help over the winter. I would be happy to come down and give you a hand.

Rick

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »
Well there is a few things I will need help with but in the mean time. How high would you like the targets to be? The 100 yard is flat.
What type of backer motor would you recommend. We have 120v power. I can build a back and forth backer system if you think its best.

mike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:55:32 PM by Mike Darlow »

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 08:08:31 AM »
Mike,

I do not have enough knowledge to determine the best backer style, but one positive you have is the power source of 120 volt. That gives you many options as to the motor drive equipment, think back up motor that is easily changed out due to a failure.
With the abundance of 120 V motors and gearing available you will need to decide on what backer you desire.
If you go with a single direction system like Calgary, you need to gear it to be able to run for 10 minutes which requires a slow moving backer, but fast enough to pick up shoots fired a couple of seconds apart.
The other option here is to have reversing limits at both stop points to reverse the backer travell.
The risk is the delay in reversing causing a potential overlap of bullet holes on the backer paper.

The other system, as Bill and other have shown, is a faster moving backer that is in a continues motion due to the drive motor not having to stop and change direction. There is delay in this system at each end of the stroke as the drive cable goes from pulling to pushing. This delay is very minor, and seems to be favoured by some of the bigger ranges in the US.
I would think that the boys going to Kanas will be able to get good idea of there system and help you decide which method to use.
Just some thoughts on the systems I have seen.

DanO

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 05:34:57 PM »
Mike in regards to the height of the target I would say that would depend on how flat you are shooting from the bench to the target.  If it is fairly flat I would like to see the bottom of the target slightly above the height oif the barrel when in a rest.  Remember it is easier to aim higher than lower.  Go from there.  It is pretty easy to figure out.   Even easier if you have a buddy with a transit.

It appears to shoot out to 200 it is a ways up hill.

Guessing from the pics the bottom of the target at around the 4' mark looks about good??????

I should also mention that Bill Gammon informed me that for the black rubber that goes behind the target to help see the bullet holes many just use 45 mil pond liner that you can get from most gardening centers.  The other thought may be the rubber gutter membrane that is used by roofers.

Mike call me when you have a chance or I can call you.  My LD plan is GREAT.  1-204-729-9333
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:56:46 PM by cyanchycki »

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 06:14:47 PM »
We have tons of black canvass from swathers and straight cut combine headers at work. I think that might work.

I received a email from the range booking guy and he says all of may and june are presently open so would you rather have a match in june? It would not get in the way of the Supershoot in May if anyone wants to go (maybe myself)....

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
The only drawback with using swather or combine belting is it is reinforced and would get shot out quickly.  Stretchy rubber membrane sort of self heals and lasts a lot longer.

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »
Great Bill, I would like to see the pictures.

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34:44 PM »
Mike

Good for you. I will try to attend which ever weeked that works out. Another range to shoot will be great.

Rob

Offline Seiber

• Just a Happy Puppy!
    • View Profile
    • Regina Fish and Game League
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »
Mike!

I will do my best to get out there!  Your club may be the first I shoot at!  (we'll see how bad I can do!)

Trev

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 07:58:36 PM »
Great Seiber, that would be great. You might be surprised how well you'll do.

Rob, are you doing the Supershoot and other USA matches in the the month of may or june?

MIke
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:59:58 PM by Mike Darlow »

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
Mike

Super shoot most likely and I have hopes for the East West in June. It will be impossible for you to accommodate everyone so all you need do is pic a date/s and "If you build it they will come."

Rob

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
Bill
Someone has to teach me how to shoot that range. Wardlow is always off buying something and I'm sure George and Vera think I can't be taught.  ;)

Rob

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »
Well that is why I mentionned the Supershoot. I would like to go to next year. We should organize a group trip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk