Author Topic: Winter Projects?  (Read 14561 times)

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Winter Projects?
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »
I'll start this off. I have what I call my old school project. It is the Swindlehurst, but with the 22Waldog chambering. I had a reamer made that will give it a light turn neck. It will go in a Robertson stock.

The other project is a Bat SV, it is a RB,LP, RE. My first right port ejector gun. It will have a light turn 6PPC chamber and also in a Robertson stock.

Lets hear what everyone else is up to.

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
Re: Winter Projects?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:42:44 PM »
  lets see, I've got a Bat on order along with a new Robertson stock , might buy another rail gun , like to sell off my bag unlimited also my old Hart HV .  Gee it's going to be a busy year.

Offline Bill Leeper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »
I plan to modify my 300M "F" class rifle so it will make the weight as a heavy varminter. I plan to actually shoot my LV rifle enough to, once again, be somewhat competitive. I'm building a new rest top for my antique Wichita pedestal. I will continue to eschew the use of a PPC! Regards,   Bill.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 07:18:05 AM »
Well another 6PPC must I.  I have a twin to the current Bat action I shoot on order.  Been around 3 months since ordered.

It is going to be another LV but with the JTR stock if I can ever get one now that Robertson is so back logged.  Anyone have a spare on order?  ??? 

It will also sport a slightly heavier Gaillaird 13.5 4groove barrel as I have a LV contour sitting looking for a new home.

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »
No relation to shooting, but i'm renovating the kitchen!!

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:29:21 PM »
Here is one I made up completley from scratch.
My action (loose Stolle copy) laminated blank (never again)(too much work)
Jewel trigger (2 oz with safety)
243 Ackley IMP'   8 twist MacLennan 24"long LV contour.
16X Steel tube Weaver Micro Trac (remember them??) 

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »
Awesome build RJohansen

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
 Nice job Randy. Good to hear from you!

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »
Thanks guys hope you are havng agood set of holidays!!! ;D

Offline Gary Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 07:55:27 AM »
Hi Randy i thought you told me you were not going to build any more actions. Sure is a great looking gun Randy.

Gary

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
Hi  Gary 
not too many more for sure!!
This is a hunting type rifle as you see,, right port.
Shot it for the first time this morning to blow out some brass and it shows promise..
 As usual some of the best groups show up when we fireform!!! ;D ;D

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »
RJohansen,

That is a good looking outfit there!  And yes, I do remember those nice old Weaver T-16s.  I have one on this Browning BPCR that I am hoping to sell.  Hate to see it go but I need to scrape up enough money for one or two more barrels and some bullets for my Swindlehurst for next season.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:04:00 PM by Lawrence Hanson »

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »
I play with cast bullet stuff too. Is that a .40 or a .45 Those rifles are relatively hard to come by, don't be in a huge hurry to let it go. What are you going to make with Vic's action?? I am redoing a Ruger #1 in either 45-70 or 45-120 as soon as my barrel comes through. I have a Uberti Highwall 45-70 and a Pedrosoli Sharps that shoots really well. So far I have remained somewhat a traditionalist when it comes to the sights on the 45's shooting irons but the Ruger will wear glass.

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 05:07:35 PM »
Yeah, the cast bullet stuff is interesting and a lot of fun to experiment with.  This rifle is a 45-70 that I experimented with a few years ago simply to play with cast bullets and experience the smell of black powder. It was a blast but I am now mainly interested in benchrest rifles.  Since my local club began holding NBRSA matches again, that has been my obsession for the past two years. I have a Swindlehurst LV rifle with a high mileage barrel on it.  I also have a new .22 PPC-100 short reamer.  My winter project is to put at least one new barrel on it with this reamer.  Considering the economic times, I am evaluating the need for the rifles I have lost interest in and have decided to sell one or two to help finance my current shooting addiction. Wish me luck in the New Year!

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »
Nice looking Swindelhurst!!   I was fortunate enough to have had a lot of guidance from Vic before I made my own Actions. Vic also showed me what he knew about making bullets and bullet dies.Well not really what he knows has I'm sure he has forgoten more than I know already. Great Guy!! I did manage to make some 6mm and 22 cal dies that produce good bullets. I try hard to champion the 22 at some of our matches  (Sorsa) I'll be puting together a 22 -100 this winter. I originally shot a straight 220Russian (tight nK) but the large body taper (along with a tiny error in the reamer dim wise) made it hard to open on any action other than one of Rob MacLennan's that I used to own so I gave up on it. I've tried the 22 PPC but believe as most do that it has  just a bit too much capacity . Pic shows a drop port that I put together last summer.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 07:36:55 PM »
Considering the economic times, I am evaluating the need for the rifles I have lost interest in and have decided to sell one or two to help finance my current shooting addiction. Wish me luck in the New Year!

What you say above Randy is what I tell many who say they could not afford to get into Bench Rest.  I have never owned a big collection and never will.  I find it hard enough to keep up with keeping 3 rifles in tune with my coyote rifle, 6BR and Benchrest rifle.

I tell the guys every time you reach into your cabinet which rifle or rifles do you reach for.  If that is the case maybe sell a few off and before you know it you have a used BR rifle or enough to build your own.  It hurts to sell off something you have a tie to but ties sometimes are not forever.  Good Luck.

I myself have sold off 3 rifles that I felt were not needed.  I bought me my SEB rest and a new BAT action on order.

Calvin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:38:43 PM by cyanchycki »

Offline Gary Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 09:20:05 AM »
I agree Calvin you don't have to sell to many hunting rifles or hand guns that you are not using to get a good reliable bench gun with a custom action and a decent 36X scope if that is the route you intend on taking.

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk