Author Topic: Managing Rifle Re-barreling  (Read 5001 times)

Lawrence Hanson

Managing Rifle Re-barreling
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:17:22 PM »
How do you guys manage re-barreling your rifles?  How many barrels do you have fitted at a time? Do you depend on just one barrel to get you through the shooting season?

I have one benchrest rifle; it’s a light varmint class rifle that I use for all benchrest competition. It is currently being fitted with a new barrel.  I am like a kid at Christmas time waiting for the day when I get it back.  However, I also have thoughts of what to do if that barrel turns out to be a dud.  Maybe I should have ordered more than one barrel?  Do I have enough time to test out more than one barrel prior to the competition season?  My gunsmith is reaching retirement age, maybe I should stock up on barrels now while he is still around to do them?  To me, a gunsmith is like your family doctor, when you find a good one you stick with him/her.  He is a busy gunsmith; will he be able to fit additional barrels during the shooting season in a timely fashion if necessary? 

If the new barrel turns out to be a dud, I have the following options:  I can take the chance that my current gunsmith can accommodate me and fit a new barrel quickly, find a new gunsmith who can accommodate me and fit a new barrel quickly, or spin on an old worn barrel until I can get a new one fitted. None of these options appeal to me.  I’m beginning to think I should have ordered two or three new barrels from my current gunsmith. How do you guys handle this situation? Do you bet your money on one barrel or several? Do you bet your money on one gunsmith or several?

Unlike some of my competitors, I am not retired with comfortable discretionary funds, lots of spare time, and a pile of new fitted barrels to choose from. My resources are limited and I must make wise decisions with my money and time. Maybe I should order a couple more barrels now while my gunsmith still has my rifle and is still in business?  What would you do in my position?   

LE Hanson     

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
Re: Managing Rifle Re-barreling
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
I try to keep one new (spare barrel) on the shelf all the time. Though the temptation to use it after every time I get beat up is hard to manage ;D. Lucky for me I do my own so finding a smith is not as much concern as finding a barrel.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »
Lawrence don't feel bad I know there are a few of us who shoot that are in the same boat.  I got into this sport putting my OT money and the extra expenses that I made while out working on the road.  That was the only way I would have what I have today.  I had hoped to have a rifle by time I turned 45.  Well I had my first rifle almost 5 years ago.  I turn 45 next month.  I now have 2.  Do I need 2?  No, but I have a spare just like we have a spare tire on our vehicle.  One never knows when it will be needed.

In regards to barrels and components, I am constantly putting any extra money I get into the sport replenishing my componenets.  I am fortunate that I have 2 barrels waiting to get chambered, 2 in my locker unchambered, and a couple waiting for pickup.  I will have 4 spares waiting to be chambered at any time.  I also try and get a rotation of the bigger ticket components so I only need to buy one item every year.  This is powder, and bullets.  The next time I order powder it will be enough for 10 years.

That is the way I manage.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »
Calvin,

Yep, I agree with your barrel management system and hope to reach that point some day.  I would like to have one good barrel on the gun and one or two more barrels fitted and ready to go on standby.  My gunsmith keeps a supply of barrel blanks on hand, Hart and Krieger. To have them fitted is simply a matter of getting on the customer list and waiting your turn. Depending on the season and work load, it can take several months to have your work done. 

At this point, I have a good supply of bullets, powder, cases, primers, etc. I would also like to have a spare rifle and am waiting for the local old-timers to sell one that I know is a good gun.  Until then I think the best investment I can make is to have my current gunsmith fit as many barrels as I can afford while he is still in business. That leaves me with just one gun but I have to cut costs somewhere.

To take this topic a step further, let’s say I end up with three barrels fitted to my gun.  I test them all and determine how they perform.  If I find one that performs better than the other two, how do I manage that situation?  Use the best barrel exclusively and just ignore the other two?  Use the other two for informal shooting?  Sell them?  How do you guys manage multiple barrels?   All thoughts and experiences are welcome.

LE Hanson             

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »
Like many of the top shooters will say, " If you can tell that is shoots better than the other barrels (in other words a so called hummer) I would save it for the big matches".

I know my tendency would be to just shoot it as I have not shot enough to know if I have great barrels. 

I think the biggest is knowing when you are in tune and when you are starting to loose it.  I takes LOTS of shooting to get to that point.  The few thousand rounds I may shoot a year are NOT nearly enough.  The early years I think we need to shoot LOTS and LOTS to be able to understand and see those changes.  It should only get easier with rounds down range.  The drawback is you always need components which costs money when.  Hard to do when you have a restricted budget.

Calvin   
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk