Author Topic: Brandon, Manitoba Flooding  (Read 5048 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Brandon, Manitoba Flooding
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
I have had a few e-mails and calls about the flooding in Brandon.  I am okay.  High and dry.  No fear of flooding where I am.  If I were to get flooded Lake Aggasiz would cover a good part of Manitoba.  I like Rick's thought, Noah would be riding by in an Ark.

I have never seen so much water in my life and moving so fast.  To those in the Red River Valley this would be normal.  For Brandon not so normal.  It is a record flood here for us, the highest ever recorded.  The kicker that makes it so bad is the building of the box mall and residential homes in the flood plain.  There is a dike in place and it was raised a meter over the winter to contain what was figured the flow would be.  I would say in the last 4 days the city, highways and every truck, cat, hoe or loader in Brandon has been working around the clock.  If Brandon survives words will NEVER express the thanks to the men and women who worked there butts off.

Here is a link to one of the flood cameras.

http://brandon.westmancom.com/index.php?id=10027

The supersandbags in the picture are about 4'x4'x4'.  The dike started out 2 wide on the bottom with one on top.  At this point right in the intersection it is 5 wide on the bottom, 4 wide on top of that and 2 wide on top of that.  They say the pressure on the bags is 4300 lbs per square inch.

There is a dike like that on 1st street but it is on both sides of the street.  Those are the main access points from the transcanada highway.  1st street is closed at this time as the dike is leaking quite bad.  They appear to be hauling clay and the military has been called in to assist on the dike to open the street.

This link will get you some aerial photos.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=209849252368970&set=pu.107304722623424&type=1&theater
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk