Author Topic: Best PPC case forming techniques  (Read 5874 times)

Offline trav_james

• View Profile
Best PPC case forming techniques
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »
Lets hear your two cents on your case forming/prep techniques & methods for the PPC.
Cheers
Trav

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
Re: Best PPC case forming techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:49:10 AM »
Its a combination, case prep as per Tony's book then I fill the case up to the neck with Bullseye pistol powder, plug it with a wax card and fire form. Next fireforming is with a bullet then I use them in competition.

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »
I just want to clarify that the fire forming method I use is Method 1 from the 6br website. Here is the link.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6ppc.html

Thanks

Dwayne

Offline trav_james

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I read that article too, and is similar to what I already do. I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks. There hasn't been much activity on the forum lately and figured I'd post some questions to get some feedback.
Are there any opinions concerning fire forming barrels?, ie set up, specs, etc..
Cheers
Trav

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »
I have not got into that technique.

I expand the necks, let them sit a day or 2.  Trim to length, deburr the inside of the neck mouths.  Turn in one pass with my K&M.  Rinse the case in a container of naptha, and if I feel like it I may spin the necks with some 0000 steel wool if I feel like.

I fill to the neck shoulder junction with 133, seat a bullet, (just any old 6mm) and fire.

I have barrels that I could use for fireforming but I break my barrels in whether or not people believe in it.

By time I feel my barrel is broke in I have about 10 cases once fired and I can get a feel of what it may like for a load.  Before you know it you ahve 15 cases ready to go with really not putting that much wear on the barrel.

Just my take.......... 

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
Trav,

I’m no pro at this game so take this for what it is worth.       

I do things a little differently than most.  I go to matches with pre-loaded ammunition.  For a 100/200 yard two-day match I will bring about 200 rounds of loaded ammunition to the match. 

Doing things this way requires a lot of case preparation.  I buy my cases fully prepared from Ron Hoehn. When new, I size them for a slight crush fit in my chamber, load them to 100% density with N133 powder with any 62 to 68 grain bullet (6PPC) for initial fire forming, and fire them. I often do this at local club “fun shoot” matches or at steel gongs.  It is surprising how well new cases can perform.

I have a case forming barrel that has its chamber cut with the same reamer as my competition barrel.  The cases will interchange after fire forming.  I believe the cases reach maximum potential after two firings.  I don’t do any case preparation at all other than initial sizing, loading, and firing. Call me lazy, but it gives me more time for more enjoyable things, like shooting.  You may wonder why I am willing to pay for professionally prepared cases; my response is they are better than cases that I can prepare, and at the rate I am going 200 just might last my shooting career.

Best Wishes,
LE Hanson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk