Author Topic: Beginner questions.  (Read 31555 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Beginner questions.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »
Just as stated above.  I bought one and had it for a very SHORT time.  It is fine for plinking at the farm or sighting in rifles but I found it inadequate.....
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline GRiNGo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »
Good. I'd sooner save and buy once than buy twice, no to the Caldwell. So, my last 2 questions for a while, where in Canada do I buy a good front rest, like Sinclair or whatever brand? And second I read the rules and watch a bunch of videos on you tube that were posted here about tuning and noticed that the gentleman mentioned lots of guys just use powder chuckers and don't weigh every charge. What powder chuckers are that accurate and where do I purchase?

Thanks again to all for your input,
Chad

Oh ya, where do you guys purchase your actions when I decide to upgrade.

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 04:48:47 PM »
Re powder chuckers (chuckle :)) yes throwing charges is perfectly OK although a scale would still be needed to get a weight for a given setting. The one I see most often at the races is the Harrell's measure but there are other good ones. The ones with a micrometer insert make it easy to return to a given volume.
The Lyman 55 is very difficult to repeat a setting without the help of a scale. The humble Lee Perfect powder measure rates very well for consistency although durability might be lacking.

As far as where to buy, there are several Canadian sources that mail order and you probably already have a Sinclair catalog no? Canadian Access is a good monthly to subscribe to for gun stuff in Canada.

I bought my Barnard action from Robertson Composites in Ottawa.  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:59:54 PM by Blairguy »

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
Post a want to buy on the forum, I am sure you will receive several offers to sell
some good quality equipment.
There are many folks whom choose not to be on a public forum, but use and shoot BR
"stuff" on a regular bases.
They to are looking for the accurate equipment and have purchased different item in that quest.
DanO

Offline GRiNGo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »
So, I was having trouble achieving enough neck tension (3thou target) so I used a .266 bushing instead of a .268. But I think my expander ball is to large. Do you guys use them or remove them or order a smaller one? I don't really want to neck turn inside or out if possible.

Thanks, Chad.

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
Hi Chad,

take the expander ball/button out, it is not required for what we are doing. The ball mostly ruins concentricity and overworks the brass. Depending on mfg there may be a narrower ball available as some dies use this to hold the decapping pin. Other option is to turn the existing ball down so it doesn't hit the brass.

Rick

Offline GRiNGo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
Thanks, that's what I wanted to do but thought I'd better ask first. They are Redding dies.

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »
Chad, look in the die box, Redding used to send a smaller collect for holding the decap stem. If not I imagine you can get one from Redding for next to nothing.

Offline GRiNGo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
Hey, it did have one in there! Guess I should have looked, thanks again. Are Hart rests of good enough quality for a beginner? Looking at a used on from Mike Cluchey.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
It is a fine rest.  It may need a new bag but would work fine if you are a bag squeezer.  If not Dwayne knows how to adapt a Sinclair windage top onto one and cable drive it from the rear rest screw..........

He says he LOVES it..............  Best thing he ever did.

Calvin

Offline GRiNGo

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
Okay one more question. I realize maybe its personal preference, but what are most guys/gals using, fine cross hair or target dot? And I can't try them out as I buy most things on-line.

Thanks, Chad.

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »
 My first scope had the 1/8th dot and I loved it. I later got a scope for back up and it had a fine cross hair and at first I didn't care for it, but when that rifle started shooting better than the other, I didn't notice. I guess the moral of the story is it doesn't matter once the competition is on unless you have difficulty seeing the dot or cross hair.
 Their is a great competitor in Michigan who has been very successful with 3/8" dot because he could see it quickly and center it more naturally in the 10 ring and was thinking of a 1/2" dot for his next scope.
 To each their own and accuracy shooting is a journey not a quick trip!

Offline Fergus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »
fine cross hair or target dot?

The answer depends on what you shoot, and how you hold. As others have said, personal preference and what you get used to come into this as well.

When I first started shooting group, I was recommended to use a dot by my mentor as it is easy to centre the dot in the mothball. I shot this way for the first year or two, then changed my hold to three o’clock or nine o’clock on the mothball, as I find that it gives me a better reference for holding-off for shots while I am forming the group. With this hold, the dot is less relevant, and may even be a liability to a very precise hold on the point of aim (I dont waist time with a VERY precise hold, so this is a nonissue for me). However I have continued to shoot the same scopes with dots for years since changing my hold, and do not feel it is a problem, nor any particular advantage over a plane fine cross-hair reticle.

An interesting side note. When the Leupold Competition series of scopes first came out, a number of Aussie competitors wanted a finer dot in the reticle than the 1/8” offered from the factory, so had Premier Reticles add a smaller dot (this is back when PR did such work on Leupold scopes). I was talking to one of these guys, and he didn’t like the smaller dot in the heavy mirage we can get here in Australia – he found it too difficult to quickly find the small dot in the less than ideal atmospheric conditions after the recoil of each shot. He sent his scope back to Leupold and had the factory 1/8” dot reinstalled. So like I said at the outset, personal preference plays a role.

Offline GRiNGo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to shoot at 6 o'clock on the moth ball for aim and think if I can find a 1/8th dot used scope I will buy one.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
I have only shot dot scopes.  That is all I know.  I am thinking I need to try just a cross hair to see if I would like them.

I used to shoot center of the mothball but have since gravitated to 6:00 hold.  I ahve yet to firmly establish how I want to disect the bottom of the mothball with the dot.  I used to sit the bottom of the dot along the top of the black line.  I think I am going to try centering the dot on the black line when I shoot it next time......

Next time is a LONGGGGGGGG ways away unfortunately.  Probably late April.

I am beginning the think if one does not center hold on the mothball a fine crosshair is better than a dot.  But then I feel the Dot is nicer for when you have to hold over.  I imagine the dot as the bullet and I find it helpful in holding over........

But then that is what I feel...... LOL

Calvin

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »
In my case I am a CH only shooter, the DOT for me was harder to center in the mothball, as I spent to much TIME focusing on that, instead of the wind flags.
If I formed my group where I sighted on the target, a dot could have some real advantages for using the hold off method of shooting, especially at 200 yds.
As most folks group outside the mothball in an attempt to keep a pristine aiming point, the mothball.
I have found that I can quarter the mothball with very little effort using the CH. If I was any kind of a hold off shooter a dot my be advantagous.

In reality I probably have not shoot a DOT enough to be fair in my assesment, but in all fairness I can say that about, front rests, stocks, barrels, bullets, powders etc.
DanO

Offline GRiNGo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »
Thanks guys. Hey Calvin you said the next time you shoot is a long time away, don't you guys shoot in winter?

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 07:40:37 PM »
 It's just that it's going to take him that long to get over the Bomber's loss in the Grey Cup

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »
Thanks Joe, you had to remind the Manitoban's of that......... LMAO.... 0-5 the last 5 Grey Cup finals.   They are as bad as the Leafs and Canucks for CHOKING....

Chad I do not shoot my BR rifles in the winter.  No fun in the cold.  I need to do what James G does.  Build a heated shooting shack.

I have a power line right beside where I am thinking of putting my lastest 100 yard line at the farm.  Would not take much to get power to a building......

Offline Aaradhana Akshay

• View Profile
    • AWS Training in Chennai
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 03:32:14 AM »
Interesting post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk