Author Topic: Daisy Wheels  (Read 14909 times)

Offline philn

• View Profile
Daisy Wheels
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »
Hi Guys

I used to shoot SORSA shoots ABOUT 10 -15 years ago and see several familiar names still active.

I have been looking for daisy wheels for my wind flags and cant see them at any stores. Could someone post a source for them Please

TIA

PHIL

Bill Gammon

Re: Daisy Wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

Offline philn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
Thanks for link Bill, I see pics of some new flags, does anyone still use (and prefer)the daisy equiped flags?. Doesnt the daisy help give the flags a faster response time in a switching wind?

Cheers
phil

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
The daisy actually slow the response and while they may look cool they do not do much except on real windy days if you paint one petal black. The help is minimal in my experience.

Offline philn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »
Actually I used to paint 2 petals  black and did like that feature of gauging the rotation, especially at 200 & 300yd where flags look a lot smaller

Didnt realize the response would be dampened by the Daisy wheel, they always seemed to turn so quick, I guess it was me that was slow

phil

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
What I found to be most helpful was to get rid of the daisies and use something that told you if the flags were tail or head wind. It is remarkable how the wind can come in and split your flags with the first 2 in a head wind and the second two in a tail wind and they all initially look like the are in a head wind, you start shooting and the wind picks up and then 2 flags flip and you are done.

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
I don't know if daisy wheels offer much advantage.  I do know they will break and that tripod stands are prone to blowing over with daisy flags.  After breaking a couple daisy wheels (I'm too lazy to stake the tripod down) I replaced them with hockey pucks...yes, hockey pucks.  Haven't broke one yet. 

For Your Amusement,
Lawrence

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
Interesting points of view on this subject, as I have shot over both at one time or another, the daisy wheel has been replaced by the two tone ball on my flags.
My reason was, that the movement of multiple daisys pulled my focus away from the other details of flag reading.
Now maybe that is because the strobe effect caused flashbacks to the 60-70 lifestyle, might be why so many folks still us them.
Outside of very strong wind conditions I prefer to gauge the wind from the tails, and let the color of the ball indicate direction.
I have kept my set of daisys incase I should have a need to go back in that direction for wind reading.

Now if you want a set of daisy to be true aid in wind reading, just shoot beside Paul Ross and listen to the pitch of the noise they make as the wind increases, his are not only visual but acoustic also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk