Author Topic: Mission, BC - June 10, 2012  (Read 2967 times)

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Mission, BC - June 10, 2012
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
Report courtesy of Jim Latham
------------------------------
Benchrest Shoot #4 at Mission Rod and Gun Club: Sunday, June 10, 2012

Another cold, damp and slightly breezy midwinter day, except it was June 10th! Once again the Meteorologists lied. Maybe they are in training for politics! No problem with Global Warming at the Mission Range. I could swear the next Ice Age had started moving down on us. However this did not dampen the spirits of the 8 shooters who braved the elements for the Shoot. We had two new shooters. If all our shooters managed to make it we would have taken up the entire range! As it was there were a few other shooters who came up so there was enough room for all and everyone played nice and had a good time. It is always interesting to watch the others saunter over to see the targets we have fired with our itty bitty 6 ppc’s. I make sure someone like Joe’s targets are sitting on top of the pile where almost every shot is a 10 or an X. But it does intrigue them and almost every time someone asks about the Benchrest Discipline when they see what these guns and some of the shooters can manage.  Highlight for me is always the new shooters. We now have our first female shooter, Bob Hampton’s wife, Dori, so the dropped shots now illicit comments like “darn” instead of “$%##$$%^^&**”  Joe did his usual great job of mentoring. I had promised newcomer Wally McDonald that if he came to day it would be the best $5 he ever spent. He said afterwards it was, but he did not offer to pay me an extra $5. Both shot very well indeed. Congratulations.
The course of fire for this match again was five 100 yard Hunter score targets. This time we threw in a Racoon fun target to finish the day. Maybe I should get back to shooting real varmints as I managed a score of 50 on that target today, something I have never done before. For me following the bypass surgery it was just great to be able to shoot again, period!
Despite the very cool day everyone shot very well; I think everyone had a personal best. Special congrats to Joe for setting a new record which he intends to rub into arch rival Chris Klump.
We were very pleased to have a visitor with us from Sunshine Coast Rod and Gun Club, Rob Finnigan where they also have a few Benchrest shooters and he informed me that Powell River has some as well. Hopefully we are going to be able to get a few of us joining up with one another for some good meets.
Following the match and scoring everyone went to go the clubhouse for coffee, lunch and lies. It was good to see many folks using the Clubhouse food services and enjoying the camaraderie after the match. It was a very big day for the concessions.
We welcome newcomers and if more information is wanted please contact me,  Jim Latham, at lathamconsult@telus.net or phone me at 604-795-0618. Please feel free to pass this summary on to anyone you wish who may be interested.

Next match is planned for Sunday July 22nd, meeting at the Rifle Range at 8:30, Match commencing at 9:00, completing at 11:30 with Coffee, Lunch and Lies to follow at the Clubhouse.
Please note that we do not shoot in August or September due to the Public Range Use but that our BIG MATCH is October 14th

Name   Rifle Class   Clbr.   Target1   Target2   Target3   Target4   Target5   Aggregate   Position
Bob Hampton   benchrest   6ppc   52   48   50   53   52   255   2 (tie)
Dori Hampton   benchrest   6ppc   50   51   51   50   49     248   4
Sam Parrotta   factory   .223   41   42   34   24   37   178   2 (fac)
Wally McDonald   benchrest   6ppc   49   42   47   49   46   233   6
Joe Mendham   benchrest   6ppc   54   54   53   52   53   266   1(record)
Travis Kienas   factory   6mm Rem   38   42   41   35   39   195   1 (fac)
Lowell Boyd   benchrest   6ppc   42   50   47   49   47   235   5
Jim Latham   benchrest   6ppc   50   50   51   52   52   255   2 (tie)

For those of you wondering about the scores over 50 per target, we score the pencil dot center as an 11 rather than counting as X rings. But touching that dot is no easy task. A couple of guys were thinking they should build a .338 ppc just to get a wider bullet!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:00:57 PM by rpollock »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk